ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

max bhp vf22 turbo please

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2017, 10:32 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STi V6 Ra Limited
I know this is quite a late response - but I feel I need to correct the above. The VF22 can be the most awesome turbo for an EJ20. Keep the stock exhaust manifold and up pipe so the exhaust gasses flow quickly, fit a full 3" exhaust so the gasses exit quickly, don't use a front mount intercooler as all that pipe work takes a long time to fill up - get a big TMIC. With that set up my VF22 spools quicker than the original VF28 !!! almost zero lag AND 320 whp in a 1240Kg car.
Then you had a problem with your original VF28.
Anyone on here will tell you that the vf22 is laggy on an EJ20, and it is, hence the reason they binned them and went for the likes of the newer turbo's like the more responsive VF28/34/35, I also had a VF22 on my V5 Type R STI, no where near as good as a VF28 until you were on boost, but even then....
Very old turbo tech, very outdated considering most of the billet turbo's you get now are far better.
Old 02 October 2017, 10:55 PM
STi V6 Ra Limited
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with the VF28 - it made 285hp at the wheels with the same set up, the VF22 develops more power throughout the whole rev range though, the VF22 dyno line was always above the VF28 dyno line, driving the car it is quicker and more responsive at all speeds. On the limit through tight winding roads I can feather the throttle and dance with the steering wheel to keep trying to find every bit of grip and I never lose boost.

It's all to do with keeping the exhaust gasses under high pressure in the exhaust manifold and up pipe (heat shielding / wrapping helps this) so these need to be small diameter (standard) and then a full 3" bell mouth exhaust with no cat and just a rear muffler so the gasses have almost no restriction.

On the compressor side a good silicone intake pipe and pod filter helps - then of course the short pipe work of a TMIC means the boost climbs way faster than if you have a FMIC.

I guess the other things with my car are the 4.444 diff and close ratio gear box means the engine is always revving high keeping the turbo on song.

What ever the reason - and yes it might be old tech - but it hits you like big V8 Corvette and does 11.83 on street tyres.