Sponsored by:

Fire

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2002, 12:25 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

My folks (both retired) were first on the scene of a nasty R.T.A. today (Monday).

Two oldish cars head on on a bend. One driven by an Old Girl dead at the scene, the other a young girl & her mother badly hurt and trapped in their car.

Mum gets out to see if she can help & Dad calls the emergency services on his mobile.

Then they notice the car with the two occupants trapped in start to smoke. Dad tries to open the bonnet but no chance cos its mangled and he burns his hands on the metal. Mum is using her coat as a fire blanket, first dipping it in the puddles (thank God it had been raining - but maybe not as this may have caused the smash) then trying to block the smoke & flames coming into the passenger compartment. Again burning her hands in the process.

To cut to the point. After a few minutes there were a number of cars around BUT nobody had a fire extinguisher.

I don't carry one but I will now. Who else does? What type do you have? Were do you putt it?

Your thoughts please.

Ian
Old 14 May 2002, 12:33 AM
Adam_K
Scooby Regular

me and some m8s were first on the scene at an RTA with a motorbike head on collision with a car. motorbike rider was dead instantly and my m8 had to give cpr. all u could hear was the broken ribs cracking, and blood was coming up through the mouth.

the car was mashed and was starting to set alight. luckily we had a fire extinguisher on us and managed to get the flames out.
Old 14 May 2002, 12:54 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

sorry to hear of the accident and hope your folks can come to terms with what's happened

I've carried a small extinguisher around at various times and it makes sense to put it in the glove compartment or door pockets - not a lot of use in the boot if you're trapped inside a blazing cockpit. Would probably need a lot of packing around it to stop it rattling about when stored or could screw it to interior somewhere with brackets.

Was involved in a small rta myself the other week but thankfully no fire.

Apple
Old 14 May 2002, 12:55 AM
Avi
Scooby Regular

I have one strapped to my centre console , I've seen things like this all too often
Old 14 May 2002, 01:07 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

forgot to add - I think Halford's do a range depending on size / price you want to pay etc, think mine's the LM20 AFAIR which is compartment sized.

was bought mine for a present many years ago and hope never to have to use it

Apple
Old 14 May 2002, 01:23 AM
stuart12
Scooby Regular

Always sad to here of accidents especially involving injuries and fatalities.

On a different but related note, I have been doing a lot of research for a project on car/domestic fire extinguishers. I know a lot of people buy extinguishers and then hide them away coz it can be difficult to fix inside the car.
In my research I have found that the extinguishers for your car cost no more than about a tenner and one of the best ways to secure it is by a strip of Velcro. I know this sounds daft but some strips our so strong these days and can be fitted so easily and cheapily. Just peeling a bit of tape of the back. Also saves screwing some sort of bracket to your belovered car.

Just a thought!

Stuart
Old 14 May 2002, 07:48 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

I was in the same situation just over a year agao, came around a corner and two cars had hit head on.Two lads where trapped in a Golf, which was smashed into a Merc.

The Merc had a very small fire under the bonnet....which grew, and grew.....we ended up pulling the two lads from the golf (one had trapped/broken legs and believe me he screemed).

If someone had carried a fire extinguisher then it would have saved alot of pain and expense.

Its taken me over a year to get one, Halfords do a nice smallish one for £13.99, Dry Powder and it weighs 0.8kg.I`ve put it next to the spare wheel wrapped in foam (which is isnt the best of places as in the case of a rear ender etc. etc) but its there, and in the case of an under bonnet fire then i would have it to hand fairly readily.

Rich.
Old 14 May 2002, 08:00 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Costco - Do the hallfords one at 7 pounds.

Strapped in-front of passenger seat with velcro......
Old 14 May 2002, 08:19 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hate to say it, but I doubt any that sort of fit in a glove box / under a seat are really big enough to be of any benefit?

David
Old 14 May 2002, 08:37 AM
Burt
Scooby Regular

I believe you may have to inform your insurance company about the fire extinguisher if you have one fitted in the car.
Old 14 May 2002, 09:04 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I put mine on the passenger side of the tunnel, using the bracket provided. I think it was about 30 quid, forget the size.

Shake 'em regularly folks, don't let the powder settle into a solid plug with all the vibration - it'll be useless when you need it.

BJH
Old 14 May 2002, 09:30 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Question

Burt,

Why?

Ian
Old 14 May 2002, 09:33 AM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

I fitted one on Sunday, actually. Left hand side of passenger footwell, with the bracket supplied, so that it doesn't foul the seat runners. Not sure it's big enough to do a great job, but may ease a bit of suffering.

*Remember not to fully open a bonnet with an engine fire* - just open it onto the catch and spray extinguisher into the gap.

Here's hoping we don't need them,
Ratman
MY98 Wagon
Old 14 May 2002, 09:42 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I got bought a fire extingusher(sp?) and it is currently in the boot... which is not ideal..

I think after reading this I shall be moving it to the passenger foot well or something.

Thank you for the info about shacking them Brendan.

JGM

PS: Hopefully if we carry them we will never need them.
Old 14 May 2002, 09:47 AM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Got mine from Halfords and it's mounted just in front of the passenger seat in the footwell on two strips of velcro that attach to the floor carpet.
It stays put even on the most spirited of Evo drives and thankfully I've never had to use it so far.

Andy
Old 14 May 2002, 10:24 AM
IanA
Scooby Regular

Dry powder is your best option for in a car. They come in a variety of sizes but if you can afford and have room to stow one with a net powder weight of around one kilo that's ideal (that size might not fit in a glove box). The powder attacks the fire chemically and even a small amount can knock back a fire effectively so don't worry if yours seems a bit small (and the extinguisher).

The important thing is to get in there and use it before the fire grows, so make sure you've read the instructions before you need it!

A couple of points:

Stow in such a way as to minimise the chance of a passenger setting it off accidentally

Follow Brendan's advice above, very important to shake them regularly.

Even for a small fire call the Fire Brigade, cars can go up very quickly. If it's an RTA call them again and tell them that there's also fire involved
If you do need to use it pull the pin (or safety catch) BEFORE you walk up to the fire, you don't want to be stood next to a fire fiddling with it, especially if it won't come out.

Hold it at arms length out in front of you.

Do your best not to breathe the powder or get it on anyone (obvious I guess!).

If you're unsuccessful keep everybody well back, at least 20 metres, closing the road if necessary and stay upwind if you can. DO NOT stand around the rear of a hatchback, gas struts can go off like little bullets. If it's a lorry get even further away.

[Edited by IanA - 5/14/2002 10:27:26 AM]
Old 14 May 2002, 10:46 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ian,

That's shocking news. I hope your folks are well and those who survived the accident recover soon.

Those small extinguishers are great for small fires, but once it starts going I don't know how effective they are. It's obviously safer to have one with you than nothing at all.

I'd also carry one of those small glass breakers. At least if the metal is too hot or the door has expanded in the frame, the glass can be broken and people taken out that way. They usually have a built in blade (not exposed) to cut through seat belts too.

Stefan
Old 14 May 2002, 10:55 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Ian,

I think Insurers may see it as a risk too i.e. it gets set off accidentaly in the car either damaging your interior or a passenger.

It's worth asking first, but that's what springs to mind.

Stefan
Old 14 May 2002, 12:04 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Smile

Any fire extinguisher is better than none, but you really need at least a 2kg one to deal with a car that has been on fire for a minute or more. A couple of years ago I came across a car on fire (believed to be an under-bonnet fuel leak) and even using the complete contents of a 1kg bottle could not put it out. It reduced the fire significantly, but it kept coming back.

Interesting to note that on race/rally cars we use AFFF and not dry powder. AFFF is more effective (and less damaging to the car) but is more expensive. When marshaling at speed events we normally have both types, and in theory they should be used in combination. In practice (except for training days), you seem to be able to get most fires out with just the AFFF (although it is a 13kg bottle).

Duncan

Edited to add - make sure you mount them securely in the car. If they are in the cabin then they need to be secure otherwise they fly around in an accident - a 1kg+ missile rattling around is not fun. If they are in the boot then they are no use if you are trapped.

[Edited by BugEyed - 5/14/2002 12:14:49 PM]
Old 14 May 2002, 12:15 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

As an ex-firefighter, I thought I'd add my two-penny worth, Firstly all Taxi's are supposed to carry Fire extinguishers of a certain size, so, if you haven't got one, look for a taxi in the queue, secondly, be very wary nowadays about trying too hard to get people out of a samsh, you can do an awful lot of damage if you don't know what you're doing, and also, with the legal system the way it's going, you could find yourself in court for trying to help, and we don't want that.
The biggest thing to remember, is that if there is an accident which is heavy eneough to damage the engine bay, you should really get the Fire service there asap anyway, enough if a fire does not start straight away, it can start at any time!!!
If people can't get out of the car, get them there asap also, time is all important!!!
And lastly, if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident where your airbag goes off, you will see a little smoke, and a slight smell of burning in the first few seconds after impact, very ofputting, but it doesn't necessarliy mean the cars on fire, the airbags are detonated with a small explosive, hence the smell an smoke.
Ron.
Old 14 May 2002, 02:28 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have just been to Halfords and bought 3 x 1kg powder extinguishers for £39.98 on a 3 for 2 offer. Thanks Jen.

One for Dad and one each for the Saab & Scoob.

Now all I have to do is work out where to fix them.

But lets hope I never have to use them.

Ian