ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Newbie Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2012, 04:06 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Advice Please

Hello guys, im a new (hopefully soon to be owner) member on here from Yorkshire.

Im looking for a 2003 - 2005 Sti with a budget of around £8.5k and have been to see this one today;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3605062090...84.m1423.l2649

Really nice guy and was a seriously quick car! It appears a little pricey but id prefer to buy from a 'garage' as I dont really know a lot about the cars.

Anything I need to look for? Im ideally wanting a low mileage car with full history. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.
Old 27 November 2012, 04:16 PM
goodyegg
Scooby Regular

I'm sure by the end of the night u will have enough feedback on here to help mate ..
Old 27 November 2012, 04:18 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by goodyegg
I'm sure by the end of the night u will have enough feedback on here to help mate ..
Thanks, I know its probably been done to death a million times but I thought id ask anyway.....
Old 27 November 2012, 04:38 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Just read the sight, would say its a little pricey as so many about for sale at the moment. But looks a nice car
Old 27 November 2012, 04:41 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey hey - looks just like mine!
However....that's a LOT of wedge for a car of this age, especially given it's in standard form.

In contrast, I paid £7200 to a dealer for my 55 plate widetrack blob STI (see my garage) in February this year with 58,000 miles. It did however need a cambelt and 4 new tyres though but even so, I'd say his asking price is between about £1200 to 1500 too much.

My advice to you mate would be buy one that's had some mods put on it already if you're planning on doing stuff to it, otherwise the likelihood is that you'll only end up spending more to get where you want to be. But that's just my view. Bring on the next!
Old 27 November 2012, 04:43 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackvenom
Just read the sight, would say its a little pricey as so many about for sale at the moment. But looks a nice car
Thanks bud, id probably not pay anymore then £8500 for it.

There are a couple more for sale near me in Bradford at a similar price but as a rule I dont like to buy cars from Bradford due to previous bad experiences.
Old 27 November 2012, 04:45 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
Hey hey - looks just like mine!
However....that's a LOT of wedge for a car of this age, especially given it's in standard form.

In contrast, I paid £7200 to a dealer for my 55 plate widetrack blob STI (see my garage) in February this year with 58,000 miles. It did however need a cambelt and 4 new tyres though but even so, I'd say his asking price is between about £1200 to 1500 too much.

My advice to you mate would be buy one that's had some mods put on it already if you're planning on doing stuff to it, otherwise the likelihood is that you'll only end up spending more to get where you want to be. But that's just my view. Bring on the next!
Thanks for that bud. By mods do you mean things like the pro drive pack?

It has got an exhaust and 'dump valve' but no performance per say.
Old 27 November 2012, 10:12 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Anyone else any tips?
Old 27 November 2012, 10:48 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Have a good look around fella, with that kind of budget you will find a real nice example with decent miles, my advice would be don't be afraid to travel to buy a car, do plenty of research on it before you leave, get the seller to send plenty of pictures of the car highlighting all the bad bits, don't think that by looking at adverts where they are saying its "mint" that they are truly as described, when they probably have their own little things here and there, A honest car will be well described in an advert highlighting any faults they genuinely know are there and try to be upfront about it, if you do come across an advert like that don't be put off and just ask further questions, can also be a good bargaining tool can find some hidden gems if you take your time and look around
Old 27 November 2012, 10:56 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Thanks bud. Seen a few online - is the wr1 a good model to go for do you know?
Old 28 November 2012, 06:47 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by leeds_182
Thanks bud. Seen a few online - is the wr1 a good model to go for do you know?
Mate the wr1 is regarded as one of the nicest limited edition cars they made.
However without wanting to sound too condescending (minefield!), I'd suggest perhaps you spend a bit more time on sites like Scoobypedia, and the web in general to research these cars. They're most certainly not all much of a muchness and the model you choose can limit what you do (e.g WRX engines and 5 speed box have power and torque limits, JDM models can rev higher and are Twin scroll etc). Once you get a feel for what you have at your disposal you can then make a well informed decision on what to go for.

I would say £8500 is still well over the top for that car, it should be priced around £8k or even less given its barely modded.
I'd get yourself friendly with your local Subaru club. Go along, see what people have, and get lookin on sites like this and Pistonheads for modified cars for sale.
Trust me, you'll soon get bored on the standard 265bhp and be hankering for more!

And by modified no I don't mean the Prodrive performance pack - I mean proper mods. For that money you could probably find an example with a rebuilt forged engine with a bigger turbo and injectors, FMIC exhaust, induction kit and maybe even aftermarket ECU, with uprated alloys, brakes, suspension etc - doing this will save you £1000's compared to doing the mods yourself. That would likely equate to a 360-400bhp car - and that WILL be quick!

If you want a quick chat I'm happy to give you some pointers on the various models etc just drop me a PM

Last edited by MrNoisy; 28 November 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 28 November 2012, 10:37 AM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

However without wanting to sound too condescending (minefield!), I'd suggest perhaps you spend a bit more time on sites like Scoobypedia, and the web in general to research these cars. They're most certainly not all much of a muchness and the model you choose can limit what you do (e.g WRX engines and 5 speed box have power and torque limits, JDM models can rev higher and are Twin scroll etc). Once you get a feel for what you have at your disposal you can then make a well informed decision on what to go for.

I would say £8500 is still well over the top for that car, it should be priced around £8k or even less given its barely modded.
I'd get yourself friendly with your local Subaru club. Go along, see what people have, and get lookin on sites like this and Pistonheads for modified cars for sale.
Trust me, you'll soon get bored on the standard 265bhp and be hankering for more!

And by modified no I don't mean the Prodrive performance pack - I mean proper mods. For that money you could probably find an example with a rebuilt forged engine with a bigger turbo and injectors, FMIC exhaust, induction kit and maybe even aftermarket ECU, with uprated alloys, brakes, suspension etc - doing this will save you £1000's compared to doing the mods yourself. That would likely equate to a 360-400bhp car - and that WILL be quick!

If you want a quick chat I'm happy to give you some pointers on the various models etc just drop me a PM
Thanks for that pal. There certainly are a lot of options out there...
Old 28 November 2012, 12:17 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

personally i prefer buying from a club member, enthusiasts as you find the cars have been looked after and have all the right parts, as opposed to some of these garages that just get them in and know absolutely nothing about them, and no hint of how they have been treated previous to them owning, theres plenty of forums and clubs around the uk and for sale sections on them all

Grant
Old 29 November 2012, 06:17 AM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Cheers, I'm keeping my eye on the for sale section and piston heads.
Old 29 November 2012, 10:42 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to see that exact same car. IMO it was a bit scruffy, a few dings/scratches and the wheels had some badly touched up corrosion.

It's also not standard, Exhaust is aftermarket and it has a VTA dump valve. (at least from what I could gather from my test drive)

It is however reasonably low mileage, and the dings/scratches/etc would maybe give some bargaining power.

Last edited by Fonzey; 29 November 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 29 November 2012, 10:51 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and to be fair to the seller, he deals exclusively with Scoobies and seems to know his way around them pretty well.

I also got the impression that between him and his missus - that they're using this car as a daily, hence it looking a bit scruffy I guess when I went to see it.
Old 29 November 2012, 11:51 AM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Oh and to be fair to the seller, he deals exclusively with Scoobies and seems to know his way around them pretty well.

I also got the impression that between him and his missus - that they're using this car as a daily, hence it looking a bit scruffy I guess when I went to see it.
Cheers bud - I thought it looked pretty tidy to be honest. I wonder if he's had the dent man out.

He said he'd knock a couple of hundred off for cash.
Old 29 November 2012, 04:10 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Honestly, I'd ask questions about cambelt service.
When was the last engine and gearbox oil change? If the cambelt needs doing, add £400 odd into the mix.
Oil change - £60 for gearbox oil, £60 for engine oil.

What about fuel filter, oil filter, etc. All of a sudden it starts looking like less of a bargain. That's why I knocked down the price on mine so much mate. It was up at £7500 which seemed cheap'ish but knocked another £300 off it with the above in mind.

Honestly, I would stick to your guns - save your pennies and get something cherished, modded and well maintained as you'll get a better car for your money and it'll drive better too.
Old 29 November 2012, 04:20 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

There were a load of gorgeous 2005 widetrack models in the for sale section but they go quick!

Here's a beautiful JDM Hawkeye, one of the nicest examples you can buy, £9000 and 10 times the car in your link.
http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...wrx-sti/937437

Same sort of car and colour as in your link - £7250
http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...uk-2005/913317

Overpriced, but immaculate:
http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...aculate/922709
Old 29 November 2012, 04:32 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

There were a load of gorgeous 2005 widetrack models in the for sale section but they go quick!

Here's a beautiful JDM Hawkeye, one of the nicest examples you can buy, £9000 and 10 times the car in your link.
http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...wrx-sti/937437

Same sort of car and colour as in your link - £7250
http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...uk-2005/913317

Overpriced, but immaculate:
http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...aculate/922709
Cambelt and service had just been done on that first one I looked at.

Not a big fan of hawk eyes and the other ones probably a bit cheaper due to the lack of history I'm guessing.

The black one looks class but as you stated it's probably a little over priced.

Thanks for the suggestions though mate - I've decided against the other one now.
Old 30 November 2012, 08:06 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Cambelt and service had just been done on that first one I looked at.

Not a big fan of hawk eyes and the other ones probably a bit cheaper due to the lack of history I'm guessing.

The black one looks class but as you stated it's probably a little over priced.

Thanks for the suggestions though mate - I've decided against the other one now.
A good one will come along if you're not in a rush.
Honestly I'd say hold out for a good un.
Btw that wasn't just any Hawkeye. The JDM's have stronger, higher revving engines, auto water spray and a few other features that none of the UK cars have.
I'm actually surprised its not up for more.

When blob JDM's come up a good one can fetch good money.
Old 30 November 2012, 08:52 AM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

A good one will come along if you're not in a rush.
Honestly I'd say hold out for a good un.
Btw that wasn't just any Hawkeye. The JDM's have stronger, higher revving engines, auto water spray and a few other features that none of the UK cars have.
I'm actually surprised its not up for more.

When blob JDM's come up a good one can fetch good money.
Cheers bud, had another look at that hawk eye and it does look nice - just a shame it's seven hours away!

Do the jdm cars tend to cost more on insurance with them being imports?
Old 30 November 2012, 09:40 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Cheers bud, had another look at that hawk eye and it does look nice - just a shame it's seven hours away!

Do the jdm cars tend to cost more on insurance with them being imports?
Now that I'm afraid I don't know. It's been nearly 8 years since I had a JDM Celica, all those I've owned since have been UK cars.
Easiest way is to call up Gary Moulson @ Keith Michaels or someone at A-Plan and ask them for a rough guide on price difference - should help you get started, and they should work out cheaper than the majority of the big companies by a long way.
Old 30 November 2012, 11:08 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Hello guys, im a new (hopefully soon to be owner) member on here from Yorkshire.

Im looking for a 2003 - 2005 Sti with a budget of around £8.5k and have been to see this one today;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3605062090...84.m1423.l2649

Really nice guy and was a seriously quick car! It appears a little pricey but id prefer to buy from a 'garage' as I dont really know a lot about the cars.

Anything I need to look for? Im ideally wanting a low mileage car with full history. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.
I`m selling my 2003 STI PPP with 77k miles very soon. If you`re interested, pm me for details / pics
Old 30 November 2012, 01:10 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
I`m selling my 2003 STI PPP with 77k miles very soon. If you`re interested, pm me for details / pics
Thanks mate but think I'm looking for a later lower mileage car.
Old 30 November 2012, 01:36 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate but think I'm looking for a later lower mileage car.
No worries.
Old 05 December 2012, 01:51 AM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Still looking but starting to get bored of it now!
Old 05 December 2012, 06:39 PM
gregwill
Scooby Regular

hello there just to help you on the insurance side of things a jdm will cost you more recently just purchased one and for the remainder of my policy (6months) i had to pay around 190 extra. On my old scoob which was a bug sti with ppp was costing me 900 a year, so this new one will be around the 1300 mark on a hawk jdm type 20 not to bad considering I have only just turned 25. ohh and honestly the jdm is alot more fun!! :-) all the best mate.
Old 06 December 2012, 06:37 AM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I feel I'm learning a bit more about the cars now.

Saw this one on pistonheads which appealed to me. Pricey but obviously looked after;

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...uk-2004/952548

As with most I seem to find its at the other side of the country!
Old 06 December 2012, 09:05 AM
Colinm101
Scooby Regular

Some sound advice right there. Refreshing to see.

Good luck in the hunt. Just been through the experience myself (although I'm on my 3rd Impreza) I think have of the enjoyment is on the "chase"

If I see anything that jumps out I'll post up

Quick Reply: Newbie Advice Please