Old 07 November 2012, 10:56 AM
Scoobyfan2012
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbone lorraine, still dusty?

Good morning everyone,

I was looking to get some CL pads but this thread put me off

https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...my-alloys.html

Now that's a 3 year old thread, have they improved in this time?

My current pads don't have a lot of bite, I don't race so I'm just looking for some decent road pads.

Dust and metal flakes are not my thing, would I be better off with a set of DS pads?

Thanks
Old 07 November 2012, 03:06 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

There good pads but if dust is not your thing stay well clear try some performance friction Z compound pads there good stoppers with hardly any dust.
Old 07 November 2012, 03:27 PM
Scoobyfan2012
Scooby Regular

Haven't heard of those, ill look them up.

I can get federal mogal DS or Racing from work, not sure what most people run.
Old 07 November 2012, 03:50 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I use the rc6 pads and got to say they are the best pads I've used, initial bite is excellent and fade is non existent, regards to dust, yes they do give off a bit of dust but no different to the ndx blue I've used before, just don't leave wheel dirty for too long and keep on top of them,
That review is on the rc5 which I haven't tried tbh,
you can get the rc6e which is same pad as mine but lasts much longer but mine seem to be running for ages, I belive these pads a similar to carbotechs which are also excellent going by the reviews.
These pads are more of a hardcore race pads which proved their capabilities on track and I was impressed and also good enough on road to, as I'm a hard driver at times and need confidence in my brakes.
I've tried ds2500 and didn't like them, come no where near to these IMO, the cold bite is rubbish until warmed up with the ds2500 and you have to press hard to get a reaction.
The cl work excellent from cold and the effort with bite is easy.
As other have said you could try pf z rated pad, or pagid or even the new Brembo hp sport pad which have good review ATM.
Tbh it depends how you drive and what you want from your car.
And yes the driving around town speed below 40 they do squeak but over that speed, no squeak, but I can put up with that as the reward they give me when driven hard, I belive most race pads on the market squeak a bit.

Like I said it all depends on what you want out of them.
I've had ebc ndx blue, orange, ds2500 and the cl rc6 top them easy IMO and on how I drive, odd trackdays, fast road etc.
Good luck in your choice

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 07 November 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07 November 2012, 05:06 PM
Scoobyfan2012
Scooby Regular

thanks busta,

I just feel like I really have to push hard on the pedal to get a quick stop, it almost feels like I couldnt do an emergency stop if I had to.

I'm sure if I really slammed the pedal as hard into the footwell as it can go I would get a very quick stop, I just feel like I should start to feel some bite before this point lol.
Old 07 November 2012, 05:40 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyfan2012
thanks busta,

I just feel like I really have to push hard on the pedal to get a quick stop, it almost feels like I couldnt do an emergency stop if I had to.

I'm sure if I really slammed the pedal as hard into the footwell as it can go I would get a very quick stop, I just feel like I should start to feel some bite before this point lol.
What pads are you using?

I get what you mean, I can only tell you from what I've tried and the ebc ndx blue and orange have that initial bite from cold and work quite well with less effort but when driven hard they were not good IMO got fade on both pads, the ds2500 have no initial bite from cold and when warmed up they worked better but you have to stamp on them a bit to get bite, but still poor IMO.
There are lots of pads out there for what you require but I can only tell you my experiences.
When my cl rc6 go I will be buying again as I know there is a few as good pads out there but not tried them and don't know if I will like them for my driving styles so best option for me would be to go for same as I'm happy with them (apart from low speed squeaking ).
Old 08 November 2012, 08:33 AM
Scoobyfan2012
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure what's on there at the moment busta, the previous owner got everything done at Subaru so I can only assume they are OEM pads.

I've got some new front discs 67 quid for the pair (bargain!) and while I don't really believe in spending lots of money on fancy (grooved slotted drilled) discs, I know the pads can make a big difference.

I can't get rc6 through my company, who supplies them the cheapest?

Cheers busta
Old 08 November 2012, 12:11 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

From here
http://www.carbonelorrainebraking.co.uk/
Also, word of advise, these pads can wear discs down a bit, so I would only use grooved or plain Brembo discs, on the groove discs, the grooves will fade after a few hundred miles of hard driving, so plain discs are the ones for these pads, your cheap discs you have bought may be ok but told to get brembos but they should be ok, there not going to dissapear in a day lol.
Old 08 November 2012, 12:18 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Also just read on that site that the rc5 have been replaced with rc5+ with less noise, less dust etc. so you could get the less hardcore pad.