Sponsored by:

V2 sti ra, help on a couple of qiestions

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2012, 09:19 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default V2 sti ra, help on a couple of qiestions

Hi hits I went to look at a v2sti type ra yesterday after looking out for one for some time. The car was imported earlier this year, whilst the body work was the best I have ever seen on a classic. There was a few points that I noticed and would like to look into before going for abother look. Aside from a few cosmetics inside that need changing to return the car to standard, they are as follows

There sounds like a slight knock from the rear diff under load, it only does it once you put your foot down. Has dccd and r180 rear diff ?????

Also it comes onto boost circa 4k then there is a hesitation at 5k and it keeps pulling. This only happens when you plant it! If you build speed up slowely it isn't an issue.

Any help and advise would be great guys?
Cheers joe
Old 04 November 2012, 10:04 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my diff makes a clunk on and off the gas, you can feel a slight jolt, always been like that and had the car 3 years.
the hesitation at 5k could be alot of things, as a guess i would say coilpacks, common problem on v1 and 2, theyre ****
Old 04 November 2012, 10:44 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Coil packs did dawn in me, even if you dip the throttle very lightly you can hear this. "A clunk" is a good way of discribing it
Old 04 November 2012, 02:59 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought exactly the same car yesterday "v2sti type ra". Driving it home I noticed the same hesitation at the same revs too when floored. When the revs are allowed to "build" it was fine. I put it down to poor fuel quality. It was on 97ron.
EJ20GDW20PJ engine?
Old 04 November 2012, 06:09 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Yeah standard motor. Ideally it needs a really good service then taking from there. It's the rear diff that concerns me, anyone??

Edsel have you had any other mechanical issues with yours mate?

Joe
Old 04 November 2012, 07:10 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

if it needs a rear diff its no biggy, cheap to buy and an easy fit.
Old 04 November 2012, 07:39 PM
Badger_88
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably just diff mounts. Have a good look underneath and give the diff a goodshake. Even if the diff is dud it's not the end of world as said. Just mention all the little niggles and knock down the price as much as possible
Old 04 November 2012, 08:02 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
Yeah standard motor. Ideally it needs a really good service then taking from there. It's the rear diff that concerns me, anyone??

Edsel have you had any other mechanical issues with yours mate?

Joe
Well...... sore point tbh. Was running and sounding sweet as at the sellers house, by the time I got home it sounded like a bag of spanners.
I thought I'd actually found a genuine one owner low mileage loved car etc etc., It only had a thimble of oil in it !!
My bad, normally Im paranoid as hell but the old boy seemed to know what he was talking about and kept telling me how I wouldnt find anything wrong with it. Lesson learnt

Check for signs of being thrashed. The current owner might love it but the jap owners know what RA's are good for. Rear diffs take a hammering as they like drifting. To make it rear end happy they weld the diff. Check its got the right numbers on the box and engine. Mine has EJ20GDW5PJ on the VIN but someones changed the motor in the past.

Good luck with it and check the oil !!!!

WRX type RA STi Version 2
GC8C4DD
C
XNC
EJ20G DW5HJ
EJ20G DW5HJ
Manual
TY752VB4CA
TY752VB4CA
First full production STi RA