Sponsored by:

Hawk eye vs GC8

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2012, 07:07 AM
Lennard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk eye vs GC8

For tarmac tuning purposes, which is the better base?
Old 25 October 2012, 10:32 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends how deep your pockets are and how good a driver you are.

If you have very deep pockets and can drive ar$e out, i'd go with a modded type r for sheer fun and raw feel, but you'll need to upgrade just about everything and to do it right and get to about 450bhp costs a fair few quid.

On the other side of the coin if you like a little refinement and your an average driver who just likes a bit of point and squirt fun now and then, i'd go with the hawk, cheap to buy and tune to around 350/380bhp and plenty fast enough for a bit of fun, just be aware the head gasket may let go at some point if you opt for a uk 2.5.
Old 25 October 2012, 11:50 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Classics are lighter! :-)
Old 25 October 2012, 12:23 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

And fun
Old 25 October 2012, 12:40 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

How far do you intend to go ?
Which exact models are we talking about ?
What do you intend to use the car for ?
Old 25 October 2012, 12:56 PM
Lennard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
How far do you intend to go ?
Which exact models are we talking about ?
What do you intend to use the car for ?
I want about 450 bhp, good brakes and lots of lightening while keeping a full interior.

Type R vs Hawk Eye Spec-C

I want to use it for hill climbs (loton park is my local track), MLR sprint series for the Impreza class.

Last edited by Lennard; 25 October 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 25 October 2012, 01:17 PM
MadUsa1
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I currently own a 2006 Spec C Type 20.

It has a Safety Devices 6 point bolt in cage, Recaro buckets and 3" point harnesses. I track mine about once per week and it hasn't put a foot wrong.

It is stupendously fast and stable if you drive it smoothly but it can also be coaxed into massive slides with a bit of a flick.

Previously, I owned a P1, which clearly isn't as hardcore as a Type-R, but provides something of a comparison. No offence intended here but it just felt old and whooly and soft. I'm sure there's potential in the GC8 (just look at the Gobstopper), but you will need to upgrade everything to unleash that potential.

In fact, I posed exactly your question to RCM a couple of years ago and they recommended the newage on the basis that it already has most of the ingredients needed for reliable, hard track use: front and rear brembos, strong 6 speed box, much stiffer chassis, etc.

I have also owned a 2.5L Hawkeye. This was a great road car - wonderful gruff torquey engine, great noise, decent ride and refinement... Liked to slide too (see below).

However, after half a season on the track the HG started to struggle and ultimately the poor steering feel and persistent understeer let it down. The Spec C (albeit it on AST's and Whiteline ARBs) is much much much better. In fact, it really does feel like an entirely different car.

Spec C gets my vote for sure.

Hope that helps!
Old 25 October 2012, 04:59 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I personally think that with enough money a GC8 would make the better track car, however, not everybody has the huge £££ it takes so in 99% of builds a newage spec C is the car of choice.
Old 27 October 2012, 11:36 PM
MadUsa1
Scooby Regular

Yeah, a spec c is a great choice, but any 2.0 liter newage with a few suspension mods should work well on track
Old 28 October 2012, 09:30 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm guessing if you can get the weight down then ultimately the hawk will be a faster car as it is a much stiffer base to work with - but if the tuning budget includes the purchase of the car then the GC8 will probably be the faster car for you
Old 28 October 2012, 10:13 AM
-Nic-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadUsa1
I currently own a 2006 Spec C Type 20.

It has a Safety Devices 6 point bolt in cage, Recaro buckets and 3" point harnesses. I track mine about once per week and it hasn't put a foot wrong.

It is stupendously fast and stable if you drive it smoothly but it can also be coaxed into massive slides with a bit of a flick.

Previously, I owned a P1, which clearly isn't as hardcore as a Type-R, but provides something of a comparison. No offence intended here but it just felt old and whooly and soft. I'm sure there's potential in the GC8 (just look at the Gobstopper), but you will need to upgrade everything to unleash that potential.

In fact, I posed exactly your question to RCM a couple of years ago and they recommended the newage on the basis that it already has most of the ingredients needed for reliable, hard track use: front and rear brembos, strong 6 speed box, much stiffer chassis, etc.

I have also owned a 2.5L Hawkeye. This was a great road car - wonderful gruff torquey engine, great noise, decent ride and refinement... Liked to slide too (see below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypqUy...re=context-cha

However, after half a season on the track the HG started to struggle and ultimately the poor steering feel and persistent understeer let it down. The Spec C (albeit it on AST's and Whiteline ARBs) is much much much better. In fact, it really does feel like an entirely different car.

Spec C gets my vote for sure.

Hope that helps!
Have you got any pictures of the roll cage fitted please? I was thinking of this for my Spec C.
Old 28 October 2012, 12:16 PM
MadUsa1
Scooby Regular

I have some but not on my phone. Check out the safer devices website, there are some photos on there.

I'm very happy with - good value, fits well and not too heavy. I got the optional rest cross and harness bar on mine.