Bought a bodge?

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2012, 10:04 PM
GoldenMerc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a bodge?

Hi,

I recently sold my Subaru and bought a Rx8 (What a crap move) from a company in London;
831 Uxbridge Road
Hayes
ub48hz

Paid 2k for a Grey Rx8, was struggling to start when it was hot so took it to a Mazda garage and well we know what the rest is, the compression is low needs a rebuild.
Never the less i rang them considering i only got it a few days ago and they arnt bothered, would trading standards be interested etc?
Ross
Old 12 October 2012, 10:09 PM
Trippie
Scooby Regular

There is a common problem with hot and cold starting with the RX8, have a look around on forum's,
Mazda just want your money so get a second opinion.
Shaun.
Old 12 October 2012, 10:11 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by trippie (lady owner)
There is a common problem with hot and cold starting with the RX8, have a look around on forum's,
Mazda just want your money so get a second opinion.
Shaun.
+1

http://www.rx8club.com/tech-garage-2...tarter-190596/
Old 12 October 2012, 10:22 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

get a 2nd opinion on that, i was watching a program and remeber seeing something as stated above
Old 12 October 2012, 10:25 PM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

Iirc trading standards can help here bud, the garage can't fob you off that quick if it's only been a few days.
Old 12 October 2012, 11:27 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

Yes trading standards can help you 100%

7-8 years ago my sister sold a Pug privately 8 days later the engine blew and the buyer contacted her wanting her to put it right, she told them where to go, next thing she had letters and phone calls followed by a visit from trading standards who were threatening to prosecute her for selling a vehicle not fit for purpose.
She agreed to have the engine changed for the buyer, but said she would have me do it as i was a mechanic and would do it at cost, both the buyer and trading standards were happy with this.

So i would be giving Trading standards a call mate.

The RX8 rotary engine if maintained correctly will last 200k unlike the earlier rotary engine that i have heard last 60 - 100K before rebuild.

Once it's sorted mate do NOT use any synthetic based oil in it.
Old 12 October 2012, 11:44 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would of told trading standards to get ****ed in your sister's case! Can't understand how they could get involved in a private sale! Sounds to me like the new buyer had a mate to pose as TS to do a number on her!

Last edited by Brun; 12 October 2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12 October 2012, 11:45 PM
GoldenMerc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your help, its seriously such a good feeling people can help me etc, Never the less i will contact trading standards on monday (when they are next open) hopefully we can get somewhere, How long will it generally take?
Ross
Old 13 October 2012, 12:37 PM
steverashi
Scooby Regular

Seen somewhere that a fix for the poor start when hot is to fit an uprated starter motor.
We looked at a few last year and almost bought one but the guy on the test drive was showing off and lost it on a straight stretch of road. Car was all over the place and thought my numbers where up, only the rear wheel hitting the kerb stopped it from spinning out of control. Put me off as it was for the wife.
Old 13 October 2012, 08:31 PM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry but I struggle to see how that would of ever stood up in court if she is not a mechanic and if the car has not had a recent mot how could she of ever known if the car was 100% ok they've got not a chance in hell of proving that I would of said the same not that I condone the selling of dogey motors i would be very upset if it was me buying the car but I feel u sister got stung big time in that case !!!
Old 13 October 2012, 08:50 PM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

My boss got his RX8 from new and it suffered with this problem from day one! From memory it was something to do with faulty starter motors, he had it changed under warranty and never got the problem again. I believe its a very common fault with them.
Old 13 October 2012, 09:01 PM
carterv3typeR
Scooby Regular

On the later models they had a more powerful starter n a bigger battery i think. We have had a couple in at work and in general they do not impress me. But it depends on how they are driven. If not driven hard the rotors gets covered in carbon which seizes up the apex seals, these are the seals that seal the rotor in the bore. We had one that wouldn't start from cold took us f***ing ages to start it. But it was the seals that had carbonned up. Creates no compression n just floods. A lot a cranking with the plugs out pumping a load of black **** out! They recommend revving it hard before you turn off because it squirts on more oil in. Id defo be contacting trading standards cos they will have known the car had the problem! I always fancied putting an LS1 small block in one. Rx8 are cheap when they got a poorly engine :P

Last edited by carterv3typeR; 13 October 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 13 October 2012, 09:17 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Broxi
Yes trading standards can help you 100%

7-8 years ago my sister sold a Pug privately 8 days later the engine blew and the buyer contacted her wanting her to put it right, she told them where to go, next thing she had letters and phone calls followed by a visit from trading standards who were threatening to prosecute her for selling a vehicle not fit for purpose.
She agreed to have the engine changed for the buyer, but said she would have me do it as i was a mechanic and would do it at cost, both the buyer and trading standards were happy with this.

So i would be giving Trading standards a call mate.

The RX8 rotary engine if maintained correctly will last 200k unlike the earlier rotary engine that i have heard last 60 - 100K before rebuild.

Once it's sorted mate do NOT use any synthetic based oil in it.
Originally Posted by Brun
I would of told trading standards to get ****ed in your sister's case! Can't understand how they could get involved in a private sale! Sounds to me like the new buyer had a mate to pose as TS to do a number on her!
Originally Posted by scoobyjunky
I'm sorry but I struggle to see how that would of ever stood up in court if she is not a mechanic and if the car has not had a recent mot how could she of ever known if the car was 100% ok they've got not a chance in hell of proving that I would of said the same not that I condone the selling of dogey motors i would be very upset if it was me buying the car but I feel u sister got stung big time in that case !!!
Agree with the above

Private sales
When you buy a used vehicle from a private individual, you don't have the same rights as you do when buying from a trader. The legal principle of caveat emptor, or 'buyer beware' operates. You have no right to expect that the vehicle is of satisfactory quality or fit for its purpose, but there is a requirement that it should be 'as described. For example, if an advertisement says 'low mileage, one previous owner', it must be correct. You should check the vehicle thoroughly before you buy it.
Old 13 October 2012, 10:46 PM
MichaelB
Scooby Regular

Replacing the starter with the newer one usually just masks the starting issues. If it struggles to start when hot then a new engine / rebuild is usually the only answer.
Join rx8oc for more info and advice on where to take it, great cars when running properly, really miss mine

Last edited by MichaelB; 13 October 2012 at 10:48 PM.