Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CS400 Warranty Rip off - No Track Use?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2012, 12:48 PM
Kungfujim444
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CS400 Warranty Rip off - No Track Use?!?!?

Went to Santa pod at the weekend and was looking forward to seeing how the CS400 performs with no "limited".

Got the relevant insurance lined up and then checked the handbook for the Warranty limitations. Where it states to cover your car on track you need Authorisation from Subaru UK ltd. So phoned the dealer, who pretty much said "I doubt they will cover you". So phone head office to be told a definitive NO.

Surely, to have a 400bhp car, designed as a Race car, which you cannot legally test to its fully capability on the roads.....try and do it the correct way and get shot down. It would be like Landrover saying the warranty is void on a discovery because it drove through a field!

Any thoughts on this or am I missing something??
Old 01 October 2012, 12:55 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Fluck em and tell them it happened out on the road should it go wrong, after all i wouldn be happy if i parted with that cash to be told i cant use it to its full potential! Just goes to show how much faith they have in their cars imo lol but can see your dilemma as you dont want to be left up the creek without a paddle or so to speak, if you do go on track just make sure you cover or remove the number plates just incase, you never know whos about
Old 01 October 2012, 01:00 PM
Kungfujim444
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I agree, but they can tell where and how the car has been driven from the data. Also, being one of only 75, you need to wear a mask as well.

The thing is, I was only going to do a 1/4 mile once or twice, just to see how it fars against cars of similar bhp. Really the car is built to go around corners (as proved by Mark Higgins at the Power Pageant 2011). Yet they said that is worse to do 1/4 of a mile than a track day, with it being driven hard for an amount of time continuously. ?????
Old 01 October 2012, 01:06 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you seriously telling me you thought the car would be covered on track?
Ringing them up wasn't the smart thing to do either as they will have a marker on the car now for potential track use in any warranty claims.

Best to put it on track to appreciate it's true performance I am looking to do Oulton park in the next week or so if you fancy it?

Last edited by juggers; 01 October 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01 October 2012, 01:09 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Issue you will now have is the reg has been logged with this request, if it happens to go pop in future you may have a tough time proving the damage wasn't caused prior etc. Stupid really as you have tried to do right and got stung which is what happens trying to be Mr by the book. If you had just done it and it went, you could of towed it away and claimed it went, even if the data would of showed you were hammering it I would doubt they could prove where and when it happened.
Old 01 October 2012, 01:10 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juggers
Are you seriously telling me you thought the car would be covered on track?
Ringing them up wasn't the smart thing to do either as they will have a marker on the car now for potential track use in any warranty claims.

Best to put it on track to appreciate it's true performance I am looking to do Oulton park in the next week or so if you fancy it?
Immy, u beat me to it lol
Old 01 October 2012, 01:12 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

You will find it hard to argue with main dealer fella imo, they cant even admit a fault with the 2.5 engines let alone them allowing you to give the car some stick in a straight line! Madness if you ask me, you buy a nice car to be used imo not for it to sit there looking pretty ( as nice as that is ) so what data does it collect?? And are they fitted from standard? Never heard of that only from insurance companies

I could not resist if it was me lol, so what would they say if you replicated a quarter mile run on say "your own land" not a race track and keeping within the speed limits?? Find that rather daft as im sure many of these cossies will see 70mph+ on the open road and i bet they dont hang about getting there lol
Old 01 October 2012, 01:16 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bit naive mate, seriously what did you think would happen?
Old 01 October 2012, 01:32 PM
Kungfujim444
Scooby Regular

Yeah, get what you are all saying....but as suggested....try to do it "by the book" and get stung. As it said in the warranty book, figured it is just covering them. The GTR's de-restrict themselves when their Sat-Navs reach a track, so surely there warranties must cover them?

Subaru said they can down load the data and the Metasat System gives the location. But if this is the case, if the engine blows at anything above 70, surely they could argue it wasnt within the limitations of the road. Mind you, he did say it was covered in Europe, so Autobahn here I come!

Anyway, on Pistonheads now looking for a Drag Car
Old 01 October 2012, 01:36 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kungfujim444
Yeah, get what you are all saying....but as suggested....try to do it "by the book" and get stung. As it said in the warranty book, figured it is just covering them. The GTR's de-restrict themselves when their Sat-Navs reach a track, so surely there warranties must cover them?

Subaru said they can down load the data and the Metasat System gives the location. But if this is the case, if the engine blows at anything above 70, surely they could argue it wasnt within the limitations of the road. Mind you, he did say it was covered in Europe, so Autobahn here I come!

is yours a grey/silver car i thought i saw it yesterday at pod
Old 01 October 2012, 01:36 PM
Kungfujim444
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Immy, u beat me to it lol
Better wait for three years when the warranty runs out Lol

"Doh"....springs to mind!
Old 01 October 2012, 01:37 PM
Kungfujim444
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
is yours a grey/silver car i thought i saw it yesterday at pod
Silver....but was only there on Saturday. Although the crew I went up with camped over and said there was a Standard Grey STI.
Old 01 October 2012, 01:39 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Silver....but was only there on Saturday. Although the crew I went up with camped over and said there was a Standard Grey STI.
i spotted one on the way out, couldnt see if it was an sti or cosworth.
Old 01 October 2012, 02:12 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

The GTR's de-restrict themselves when their Sat-Navs reach a track, so surely there warranties must cover them?
Yeah, and they give you launch control, but say(or used to say) using it invalidates your warranty
Old 01 October 2012, 02:20 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

It seemed to get to 70 quite quickly on the way up mate .

What you need is a white pug with an Evo engine and green wheels!
Old 01 October 2012, 02:28 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This thread title belongs in the "ScoobyNet book of gaffs".

Legendary!
Old 01 October 2012, 02:29 PM
Kungfujim444
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Berks-Jack
It seemed to get to 70 quite quickly on the way up mate .

What you need is a white pug with an Evo engine and green wheels!
LOL......yeah but still wanted a go on the strip! Now everyone is calling me a ****

Oh well guess I deserve it!

Anyway, see you put your time in on the strip.
Old 01 October 2012, 02:33 PM
Kungfujim444
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
This thread title belongs in the "ScoobyNet book of gaffs".

Legendary!
Its almost as good as my first quote on Wr1 Owners Club....I posted:

"Anyone want to buy number 291"......I think that went down well!

At least, if I ever sell the cossie, the new owner will know it has never been tracked!
Old 01 October 2012, 02:47 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

ROFLOL
Old 01 October 2012, 02:54 PM
MonsterEnergy
Scooby Regular

The data logger is linked directly to the metasat unit - they know where you were, what you were doing and when - so no escaping from big brother.

The unit is fitted behind yer radio/sat nav unit - but I guess disconnecting it would also cancel your warranty.

I understand the GT-R de-restrict thing is only in Japan - but warranty was also invalidated if it was tracked.

Last edited by MonsterEnergy; 01 October 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01 October 2012, 03:07 PM
Kungfujim444
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MonsterEnergy
The data logger is linked directly to the metasat unit - they know where you were, what you were doing and when - so no escaping from big brother.

The unit is fitted behind yer radio/sat nav unit - but I guess disconnecting it would also cancel your warranty.

I understand the GT-R de-restrict thing is only in Japan - but warranty was also invalidated if it was tracked.
Screwed.com then
Old 01 October 2012, 05:12 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Most manufacturers are exactly the same

A mate of mine tracked his P1 a fair few years back at Castle Combe, then got a letter a few weeks later from Subaru UK saying they'd spotted his car on track, and certain parts of his warranty were now void
Old 01 October 2012, 05:31 PM
Kungfujim444
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

A mate of mine tracked his P1 a fair few years back at Castle Combe, then got a letter a few weeks later from Subaru UK saying they'd spotted his car on track, and certain parts of his warranty were now void
Bloomin hell.......glad I didn't risk it!
Old 01 October 2012, 10:26 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

Not sure how this works with disclosure of personal information not to mention your cars security. If the contract is between Subaru and Metasat then you are screwed. If you are paying for the contract and they disclose to Subaru without your permission You could possibly sue the **** off of them.
Old 02 October 2012, 07:14 PM
scoobyken
Scooby Regular

Leave that for the road James! Buy a classic type r n mod it for track days! But it's a shame u can't take it on track at the pod, would like to see what it does!
Old 03 October 2012, 09:48 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

This whole Metasat stuff sound like bullsh1t to me.

Are they trying to say that metasat stores every single piece of movement data?
Old 03 October 2012, 10:13 AM
MonsterEnergy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
This whole Metasat stuff sound like bullsh1t to me.

Are they trying to say that metasat stores every single piece of movement data?
No - the metasat transmits to the data logger, which in turn stores the data. Think how small a 32 GB SD card is these days, it's hardly difficult to store alot of data. People's iphones are storing their every move and downloading the file to a pc every time they sync it - so I don't know why you think it sounds like bull****.

I've had my stereo out and can confirm there is 2 new black boxes in there which weren't present in MY08 STi. One is labelled metasat and is connected to another black box which I've been told by a tech is the "black box" data logger. So it might "sound" like bull**** to you - but it doesn't "look" like bull**** to me.

As far as who "owns" the data... I think it'd take years to read the small print to determine that! I do reckon one day that the police will get access to these in speeding cases - it's inevitable with the way "big brother" is watching.