ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How many UK300 owners would prefer an STI

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2002, 01:44 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Did you buy a UK300 last year? If so you probably paid £24995 or £26595 if you went for the PPP.

If you knew the price of the new STi was going to be £25995 would you have still bought your UK300? Well I for one wouldnt have.

I still love my UK300 and am more than happy with it, but I would have waited for an STi if I knew the price at the time. Rumours had it at up to £30k so it was out of my budget.

I have written to IM to give them my thoughts, and have even had a reply back from the MD. I wont go into details on here, but if there are several owners with the same opinion as me then we might be listened to a bit more.

Anyone of you UK300 owners agree?, or shall I just shut up and stop whinging

Old 11 May 2002, 02:10 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
You should think yourself lucky, I bought one of the first wagons in the country and paid as much as you did for your UK300!! Which at least has novelty value.
Old 11 May 2002, 02:16 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

that's how things sell.. they bring out new stuff and then a while later they bring something better and possibly more money. E.g mobile phones are getting more smaller and more technical. I'm sure they were capable of bringing out the phones they used to have ages b4 they could. They want to give that little bit better to make money! but slowly..

Hope you get this cause' i don't! Just woke up..
Old 11 May 2002, 02:41 PM
PopeyeP1
Scooby Regular

Hi guys. In my opinion you're better off buying a Sport then modding it up to Sti bhp. Save yourself a fortune and give you're wife a deserved break to Cleethorpes. If you're interested a friend of mine called Gav does a special coach deal for the weekend. You stay at a nice 2 star Hotel and they even include breakfast. Think its about 250 quid per person. Go on give you're misses a treat!!! Around 30 tickets left-me and Rod are going to by the way. Leaving the cars at home as I've heard them Cleethorpes crowd are thieving toerags!!!!
Anyway get in touch-you're mate Pops
Old 11 May 2002, 05:36 PM
zilch
Scooby Regular

mark, one of those who got burnt, yes would have liked an STI, but was informed it was 30+ K, my company car ownership scheme had a ceiling which the UK300 with the prodrive came within, so went for that.

Pissed with subaru, but happy with my 300 however

thanks

Jim
Old 11 May 2002, 06:59 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

Felt a bit let down, not just because a new model had come out but because it was so soon after I got it.
Decided not to bother next time with modding either as it just makes it harder to trade in "you should have kept it standard sir, then we could sell it." springs to mind . Not my dealer though (in case you are reading this) the Subaru network in general seems to have this view come re-sale time.
terry
P.S. sold it and ordered a Caterham instead.
Old 11 May 2002, 08:48 PM
STI PRODRIVE FAN
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Hi I traded my my2000 5dr turbo for 16k against an STI and to be honest I havent looked back since. It does hurt when a new model comes out but you either have to patient for the type of car you want or take the plunge and just enjoy your car regardless of a newer model coming out.

I took the plunge because of the overall look, performance and lack of needing to modify such a fine package. As you can see below.

Old 11 May 2002, 09:14 PM
cement man
Scooby Regular

Talking

Is that shed colour coded?
Old 11 May 2002, 09:23 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Bought the UK300 last July so have had 9 months happy motering before the STI appeared. Was a little mistified at the price compaired to the £26,500 for the 300. Still if we were to always wait for the next model you would never end up buying one. Took a test drive in the STI and was impressed, although I prefer the looks of the 300 and I think it will be a rarer care to own.
Old 11 May 2002, 09:34 PM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Nigel, same as, test drove the STI, suitably impressed with the car, pissed at the price, a bit cheaper than my PPP 300. Must have seen us coming . But at the end of the day, there are only still 298 off them, I have heard of at least 2 have gone to the junkyard in the sky due to over indulgent owners.

Cheers

Jim
Old 12 May 2002, 09:49 AM
STI PRODRIVE FAN
Scooby Newbie

Wink

No the Shed isn`t colour coded LOL.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I was very impressed with the price of 27,500 for the prodrive version. If it was priced as 30k I would never have parted with the money. Obviously Subaru decided on a sensible pricing policy which has, iam sure resulted in many sales of the STI. My local dealer has sold 15-20 sti`s which have been out-selling the normal WRX, which lets face it, is hardly surprising when you get so much more car for your money.

Old 12 May 2002, 01:18 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

Zilch, how did it compare in terms of acceleration to the ppp car?
I'm thinking esp torque vs top end etc.
Old 12 May 2002, 07:30 PM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Not sure about what the official rating is, but the STI feeled so much responsive from the low end of the revs, compared with the 300 with PPP which you basically have to push. In gear on the PPP is generally quite good, assuming your in the mid range rev area, however if the revs are off,you drop a gear and boot, she absolutely takes off and it feels a whole lot quicker than my old 98 turbo, due to the fact the revs just keep coming. The STI however seemed to respond alot quicker whatever range you were in.

Spoke to the nice people at banbury, but nobody at prodrive could give me the figures for a PPP'd car in terms of 0-60 and top end.

Sorry I could not be of much help here

Cheers

Jim
Old 05 November 2002, 08:47 PM
STI PRODRIVE FAN
Scooby Newbie

Cool

oooops made a mistake look below

[Edited by STI PRODRIVE FAN - 5/11/2002 8:50:20 PM]