Newbie - looking to buy Bugeye WRX

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2012, 10:36 AM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - looking to buy Bugeye WRX

Hi, what a great site!

Im looking to buy a bugeye WRX, I have circa £4k to spend and dont know what to look for. I tried the search, but is there a buyers guide that I can look at?

Thanks,
Old 02 September 2012, 10:59 AM
the bear1986
Scooby Regular

If u can try to get a bug eye Sti as it has so much more to offer then a wrx but for £4k might be hard to get a good one. I'm selling mine at £5k pm If u want.
Old 02 September 2012, 11:29 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

Age will make a difference to what you can buy, group 44+ cars may well be out of your reach (the old group 20) so a wrx may be more suitable.
Then there is driving experience and location, bad postcodes will punish you with these cars so you need to know what you are after.

There are lots of different models, classics which are the cars produced between 1993 and 2000, new age (broken down into 4/5 categories), 01-02 are bug eye (rounded headlights) 03-05 are blobs (note the 05 STI cars are wide track, the wrx's never had this), then the 06/07 cars (but these will be out of your price bracket) are hawk eye, and the 08-12 are just ugly (joking )

Guide to buying here>>>> http://www.subaru-impreza.org/impreza-checklist.html

Tony
Old 02 September 2012, 11:49 AM
vicks
Scooby Regular

on this site go to new posts and second thread down i think entitled> whats it worth
a member looking to sell his wrx 52 plate.
Old 02 September 2012, 11:57 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Look very hard at any Bug you go to view for rust. They can go like mad, especially front subframes. The top half might be shiny, but underneath they can be hiding some serious corrosion, nicely covered by a lot of plastic, so be careful.

And if the one you're looking at needs various consumables, brakes, exhaust, etc, be aware that they will cost a lot of money.
Old 02 September 2012, 10:07 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Hi, thanks for all of the replies. Looking at the buyers guide and reading the site, it seems that rust aside the scobby is a fairly reliable motor which I think is one of the great things about a japanese cars.

I didnt think that the cost of parts and consumables are too bad, but if I have overlooked anything then please correct me. These cars are without doubt a real performance bargain and I think this is because most people are put off for one reason or another. I do expect that a quick car will need to be looked after. If I had a focus or something equally 'white goods' I would be irritated by a bill for tyres or service or whatever. However if its a car I enjoy, I can happily overlook any costs.

A few years ago, I took a company 530d in for its 9,000 service - it needed a £250 oil change, 4 tyres and discs and pads all round - not what you expect from a 'drivers car' but thankfully the bill picked up on the company tab.

Im the wrong side of 30 so insurance isnt a problem. Fuel wise I think it will do close to 30 (when driven carefully) and Id rather spend an extra few hundred quid a year on fuel than have a diesel.

I have looked at lots of cars including rx8, mr2, civic type-r, clio 182 and mazda 6mps but I have always wanted a scooby and compared to the other cars it is a good choice. I looked at a hawkeye today and plan to look at two blob eyes this week; a saloon and a wagon which both look good.

I have never driven a 4wd in anger (other than a range rover) so I will be learning something new which is quite exciting. I guess that you dont have the same oversteery fun factor of a rwd so its a new experience I am looking forward to!
Old 03 September 2012, 12:34 PM
Leebo310
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigballs
Hi, thanks for all of the replies. Looking at the buyers guide and reading the site, it seems that rust aside the scobby is a fairly reliable motor which I think is one of the great things about a japanese cars.

I didnt think that the cost of parts and consumables are too bad, but if I have overlooked anything then please correct me. These cars are without doubt a real performance bargain and I think this is because most people are put off for one reason or another. I do expect that a quick car will need to be looked after. If I had a focus or something equally 'white goods' I would be irritated by a bill for tyres or service or whatever. However if its a car I enjoy, I can happily overlook any costs.

A few years ago, I took a company 530d in for its 9,000 service - it needed a £250 oil change, 4 tyres and discs and pads all round - not what you expect from a 'drivers car' but thankfully the bill picked up on the company tab.

Im the wrong side of 30 so insurance isnt a problem. Fuel wise I think it will do close to 30 (when driven carefully) and Id rather spend an extra few hundred quid a year on fuel than have a diesel.

I have looked at lots of cars including rx8, mr2, civic type-r, clio 182 and mazda 6mps but I have always wanted a scooby and compared to the other cars it is a good choice. I looked at a hawkeye today and plan to look at two blob eyes this week; a saloon and a wagon which both look good.

I have never driven a 4wd in anger (other than a range rover) so I will be learning something new which is quite exciting. I guess that you dont have the same oversteery fun factor of a rwd so its a new experience I am looking forward to!
Hi mate, I was literally in exactly the same position as you! Fancied a change and was happy to spend a bit more on petrol and tax and stuff rather than just getting a boring diesel. I bought my first WRX last week and absolutely love it, wish I'd have done it sooner! Granted I've only had it a week (already racked up 300 miles though!) but when I was looking for cars, there wasn't another car that came close to a WRX for combination of performance, reliabilty and practicality for the 4-5k price range.
My budget was a tiny bit more than yours so I managed to get a hawkeye (pics of her on another thread if you want to see her!) but for 4k you should be able to get a decent blob eye.
My advice would be to take your time, and hold out for a good one. I looked and drove another 5 or 6 before I actually bought mine, and there are some right dogs out there! Almost all the ones I looked at in garages were tatty so I'd look at a private sale if I were you. A lot of garage ones are just auction cars that they've picked up cheap. Buying private you can at least get an idea as to how well the last seller has looked after her. Don't be afraid to travel a bit for a good one either! I drove 260 miles to view mine, after speaking to the seller and working out that he was as passionate about cars as I was!

Good luck with finding one, it'll be worth the wait when you do!
Old 03 September 2012, 02:19 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

You know, most people dont realise that a crumy 1.8 tdi will cost them more in particle filters, turbos, coil packs and injectors - its a lottery as to when they will fail!

Lets hope the secret doesnt get out as it keeps the value of 'expensive' performance petrols down!
Old 03 September 2012, 03:49 PM
Leebo310
Scooby Regular

You know, most people dont realise that a crumy 1.8 tdi will cost them more in particle filters, turbos, coil packs and injectors - its a lottery as to when they will fail!

Lets hope the secret doesnt get out as it keeps the value of 'expensive' performance petrols down!
Ha, definitely very true!
Old 03 September 2012, 04:31 PM
Kennyboyd31
Scooby Regular

You will get a nice Bugeye WRX PPP for less than £4k.
Just make sure you check it over and tripple check the engine is not knocking!
IMO , it's worth spending a little more to ensure you get a nice healthy clean bug !!
Old 04 September 2012, 09:51 AM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

I looked at two cars yesterday and following advice paid careful attention to rust.

I lifted bonnet, put steering on full lock and got down on the floor with a torch!

Both cars seemed to have some brown appearing on the lower arms an Im not sure how serious this is - I dnt expect a 10 year old car to be in showroom condition but should I walk away?
Old 04 September 2012, 10:38 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

There is a recall on the lower arms on Bugeyes
Old 04 September 2012, 02:35 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

It's not so much the suspension components (although they shouldn't be pitted), more the steel pressings such as the front subframe and the engine/gearbox crossmember that you need to check. Have a look here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ame-query.html

Best of luck, I'm sure there are still some good ones out there.
Old 04 September 2012, 02:38 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
It's not so much the suspension components (although they shouldn't be pitted), more the steel pressings such as the front subframe and the engine/gearbox crossmember that you need to check. Have a look here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ame-query.html

Best of luck, I'm sure there are still some good ones out there.
nice one, thanks.
Old 04 September 2012, 08:54 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

I have just picked up a WRX wagon, its a one owner car in great conditon.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01235483299204

My first job is to sort out the tracker subscription as its not insured for theft without one.

Im not planning to mod it too much, but I will be looking at some clear indicators and repeaters to tidy up the front.
Old 04 September 2012, 08:58 PM
Kennyboyd31
Scooby Regular

I have just picked up a WRX wagon, its a one owner car in great conditon.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01235483299204

My first job is to sort out the tracker subscription as its not insured for theft without one.

Im not planning to mod it too much, but I will be looking at some clear indicators and repeaters to tidy up the front.
Looks nice mate!

Did you knock any ££'s off the price?
Old 04 September 2012, 09:00 PM
Kennyboyd31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by d4vidh
There is a recall on the lower arms on Bugeyes
Really ? Really was this
Old 04 September 2012, 09:14 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kennyboyd31
Looks nice mate!

Did you knock any ££'s off the price?
No, I tried but after looking at a dozen cars with 'fsh' I was happy to pay the money for a straight car that had been well looked after.

I have only done 30 miles and not pushed it, but it seem that there is a lot of grip and the suspension has a good balance between comfort and performance.
Old 05 September 2012, 11:01 AM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Put pics of my car here... https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...l#post10777606
Old 05 September 2012, 11:07 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kennyboyd31
Really ? Really was this
Yes

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...Text=Blank&tx=
Old 05 September 2012, 11:27 AM
byrnsie44
Scooby Regular

how do i go about this with my bug? just call subaru?
Old 05 September 2012, 11:31 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Subaru are sending out letters to those affected with the recall. I think they are staggering sending out the letters to avoid a mad rush There is a thread on here about the lower arm recall.
Old 05 September 2012, 11:36 AM
byrnsie44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by d4vidh
Subaru are sending out letters to those affected with the recall. I think they are staggering sending out the letters to avoid a mad rush There is a thread on here about the lower arm recall.
thanks for the info!