ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who knows what this is?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2012, 10:40 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So who knows what this is?

Old 26 August 2012, 10:41 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wrc spec engine,picture at rally day at castle coombe rally day ,car was on the stand selling wrc spares left hand side?

Last edited by tubbytommy; 26 August 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 26 August 2012, 10:47 PM
Woody69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
wrc spec engine,picture at rally day at castle coombe rally day ,car was on the stand selling wrc spares left hand side?
Don't be silly......we all know it's a flux capacitor
Old 26 August 2012, 10:54 PM
Mugs
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

+1
i think they were called 'wrc spares'
Old 26 August 2012, 11:11 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Blimey, they even knew which car!
I worry about some of you guys..

Amazing car though, he was doing a demo at the Pentillie hillclimb today in Devon.
It's Steve Furzeland's car, a local rally driver of some repute.
Old 26 August 2012, 11:13 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery

Amazing car though, he was doing a demo at the Pentillie hillclimb today in Devon.
i even had a sit in it, do i win a prize???
Old 26 August 2012, 11:13 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

It has sensors checking the sensors for sensor failure and a dash board that wouldn't be out of place on the Mars Rover.
Old 26 August 2012, 11:14 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

i even had a sit in it, do i win a prize???
Yes, for being more agile than I am!
Old 26 August 2012, 11:15 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Yes, for being more agile than I am!
it was a tight fit, but as you say the dash was amazing and carbon fibre i believe
Old 26 August 2012, 11:23 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

What are all the connectors/wiring on the inlet manifold?
Old 26 August 2012, 11:42 PM
AdeWRX
Scooby Regular

It has sensors checking the sensors for sensor failure and a dash board that wouldn't be out of place on the Mars Rover.
And gaffer tape on the airbox lol
Old 26 August 2012, 11:56 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTinnovations
What are all the connectors/wiring on the inlet manifold?
I think they are called military grade connectors and are quick release, moisture proof and are less prone to interference and degradation of signal.

But you probably already know that Tim, so I've probably misread your post.
Old 26 August 2012, 11:58 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

It's the sheer number of them and the "arrangement" of connectors - not seen an engine wired like that before!
Old 27 August 2012, 12:07 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I think it's purely down to ease of use when changing the engine out, I have to say it's a very nice setup and every ex WRC car I've seen in the flesh has had this type of arrangement.
Old 27 August 2012, 12:10 AM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

Would love to know what all the connectors are for - there're way more there than I can think of reasons for!
Old 27 August 2012, 08:19 AM
Blocks85
Scooby Regular

I had quite a long chat with the lads at wrc spares that run/look after this car etc. I was asking about the expansion chamber after the intercooler and he said it for launch control. The idea is its meant to pressurise behind the butterfly on the spot, then when the butterfly/inlet opens the compressed air goes through like a vapour nozzle and it's meant to create like a rocket type take off effect for maximum launch.
It runs 109ron plus mega additives but said if you were to run straight 109 race fuel it would melt pistons in the blink of an eye and equates to £3.50 liter, 15 litres per stage.. Running 11.5/1 compression through a 35mm turbo inlet restrictor to 300hp/700ft/torque. Remover restrictor 700hp.
Every 1000k engine, gearboxes and diffs are out for a rebuild regardless of working/broken, he didn't say the cost of engine rebuilds but he said the gearbox bill is £20k alone. Holy ****!!!!
They snapped 2 prop shafts this year going from long grass to Tarmac that were prodrive titanium items at £8k each, and prodrive said they were unbreakable so they managaed to snap 2. Haha
He was saying about when ken block was at suabru, he use to get rallye spec cars built to 800hp then let him loose doing gymkhana etc to see if he could break it, then when he did they would uprate parts to make them unbreakable so to speak. Then they would har the car back at prodrive, copy and manufacture all the parts then give them to the wrc boys in restricted form for the idea of having bomb proof cars to race.
Hope this is of some info and memory serves me correct.
Cheers Chris
Old 27 August 2012, 08:35 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

I've been down to their base wandering about. It's a bit of a warren, and I'd fairly describe it as a post apocaliptic store for NASA parts. I can imagine our Rodney venturing out on scavenging expeditions, gleefully discovering titanium hubs under irradiated detritus.
Old 27 August 2012, 09:03 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

your all subaru geeks
Old 27 August 2012, 11:54 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Blocks85
I had quite a long chat with the lads at wrc spares that run/look after this car etc. I was asking about the expansion chamber after the intercooler and he said it for launch control. The idea is its meant to pressurise behind the butterfly on the spot, then when the butterfly/inlet opens the compressed air goes through like a vapour nozzle and it's meant to create like a rocket type take off effect for maximum launch.
It runs 109ron plus mega additives but said if you were to run straight 109 race fuel it would melt pistons in the blink of an eye and equates to £3.50 liter, 15 litres per stage.. Running 11.5/1 compression through a 35mm turbo inlet restrictor to 300hp/700ft/torque. Remover restrictor 700hp.
Every 1000k engine, gearboxes and diffs are out for a rebuild regardless of working/broken, he didn't say the cost of engine rebuilds but he said the gearbox bill is £20k alone. Holy ****!!!!
They snapped 2 prop shafts this year going from long grass to Tarmac that were prodrive titanium items at £8k each, and prodrive said they were unbreakable so they managaed to snap 2. Haha
He was saying about when ken block was at suabru, he use to get rallye spec cars built to 800hp then let him loose doing gymkhana etc to see if he could break it, then when he did they would uprate parts to make them unbreakable so to speak. Then they would har the car back at prodrive, copy and manufacture all the parts then give them to the wrc boys in restricted form for the idea of having bomb proof cars to race.
Cheers Chris

Awesome
Old 27 August 2012, 12:00 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Previously owned by Peter Lloyd and co-driven by Carl Sorenson

Last edited by jd5217; 27 August 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 27 August 2012, 12:09 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Blocks85
Cheers Chris

All that money, expertise, testing etc etc etc......

And they use gaffer tape to hold the air box together
Old 27 August 2012, 12:30 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you were gonna say, All that money, Expertise, Testing etc..... And Ken still can't finish a rally
Old 27 August 2012, 07:37 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
All that money, expertise, testing etc etc etc......

And they use gaffer tape to hold the air box together
I'd strongly suggest you go away and read the RAC rule book concerning competition cars.
Article 1364, CAR PREPARATION. Paragraph 3;

"All competition cars MUST use Gaffer tape in clearly specified locations"

Really, some people...