Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody had an Insurance Claim

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2001, 11:44 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a claim going through at the mo, but other driver wont admit he was even there so, i'm thinking of buying the bits myself (Boot lid, bumper), will they pay me or the garage that they authorise to do the work.
Old 14 April 2001, 11:56 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Not 100% sure but anyone who is at the sharp end of an accident claim is under a duty of care to mitigate their uninsured losses (good phrase that) - therefore, if by not having your car fixed you are racking up a high hire car bill, then expect to get knocked if you can't be ar$ed to have it fixed. Works both ways, but I don't know your circumstances.

If its a cosmetic thing, then having a rear-ender, whilst looking bad, does not adversely affect you, so you can wait If Fully Comp, then you should've had it sorted by now...

At the end of the day, you've got to be seen to be reasonable (in the eyes of the courts).
Old 15 April 2001, 01:41 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Any witnesses???? best thing that u can ever have, if not try to get the police involved as quickly as poss, if that doesnt happen then do it yourself, it will still affect your claims bonus no matter what as you have to still declare non claimed losses (according to the 15 or so insurance co's i tried )

Tony
Old 15 April 2001, 04:41 PM
PAS
Scooby Regular

Surely if they went up the back of you, there is no dispute of who's fault it is.

Tracey
Old 15 April 2001, 09:48 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Question

LeeMac,

Presumably the other driver gave you his insurance details. How does he account for that?

Buy and carry a disposable camera in your glovebox and the next time it happens, take a few pics of your car, his/her car, their face, etc..

C
Old 16 April 2001, 09:24 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

The car was parked in a Homebase car park, i was leaving store when i seen him drive away, I have two witnesses, now what i want to know is will the insurance pay me or the garage as i might be getting the parts this week as im sick of seeing it in this way.
Old 16 April 2001, 10:19 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

You need to obtain a quote for the repairs, preferably from a Subaru main agent and ask them to prepare a pro-forma invoice. They will charge a nominal fee for this.

Send the pro-forma invoice to the insurance company you are claiming from. The insurance company may send an assessor round to negotiate the estimate. They will then send you a cheque for the amount, less the VAT.

You are then free to persue any option you see fit for the repairs.

If you have already agreed to have the repairs done at a particular repairers, then the insurance company will pay the repairers directly, following completion of the work.
You will need to inform the repairers that you want a pro-forma invoice rather than them do the work.

[This message has been edited by ^Gazzer^ (edited 16 April 2001).]
Old 16 April 2001, 11:03 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Presuming you're fully comp, then just get the car fixed and let the insurance Co' sort.

Are your witnesses - Independent? As in not somebody who was travelling with you ie girlfriend/wife etc ? If not find some!

I'm presuming you know of the guilty party in the accident ?

I had this a few years ago when someone hit me but wouldn't fill in a claim form so my claim couldn't proceed. My brother thankfully is in insurance and wrote the guy a letter on my behalf threatening that if no form was filled in within 7 days we would take him to the small claims court for our losses.(he knows enough to do this). The form was with the insurance Co' on time!!
If you have Legal cover on your policy, phone them, that's what they're there for, to fight your corner.

Best of luck

Steve.
Old 17 April 2001, 08:30 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Now knowing a bit more, looks like you could report him for failure to stop at the scene of an accident. This will get the plod to jump on his case & produce insurance details - which in the fullness of time, they will pass to you. With the insurance details you can persue a claim against the insurers. If he's not insured, then the Motor Insurers Bureau can help.
Old 17 April 2001, 02:25 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

The police are having trouble doing him as hes denying it and they cant prove he was in the car, he also says the car never left the front of the house all day, the witnesses are independent. Its been over 4 months now and i'm thinking of doing it myself as Ive got a chance of getting parts cheaper.
Old 17 April 2001, 03:05 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

As you've got 2 independant witnesses that say he was there, then insist the CPS summons him & let the courts decide - that's what they're for. 2 good samaritans against someone with something to hide = win for CPS. Also "perverting the course of justice" by denying he was there (possibly stronging it a bit?).

Where's StuartH?