Sponsored by:

strut help.

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2012, 01:29 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default strut help.

ok long story short, when i bought my wagon it had a clunking from front end when turning and reversing etc. found out drivers side spring was fitted upside down believe it or not! so i bought a pair of front struts from a well known scoobynet breaker with lowered springs (45mm drop) i took these off and put the springs back on which were on the car as the wagon was lowered when i bought it so obviously wanted to keep same ride height all round. all good so far the clunking had gone. got the car mot,d a few weeks ago and the mot guy (ive known him for years) said hes passed the car but marked the drivers strut as dangerous in his opinion as the spring is turning in the cup. hmmm.... ok i thought so trip back to my guy who does some work for me as he fitted them, so up on the ramps it goes off with drivers strut. bearing seems a bit dry but otherwise ok so grease it up and put back together. now i noticed a scrub mark on the bulkhead next to the strut where it had obviously been rubbing down to bare metal. so all put back on and we turn the wheel and notice that the top cup has no clearance and cant turn in the space? wtf??? so the spring is turning in the cup and then snapping back into place when the steering is straight again which was the origional source of the clunking noise. with a torch under the car on the ramps you can clearly see the difference if you look at both sides, the passenger side turns as it should with the proper amount of clearance at the strut top but the drivers side doesnt and fouls on the bulkhead stopping the top cup from turning with the strut hence the rubbing mark on the bulkhead where the cup tries to turn but cant. so this leaves me with a couple of conclusions as i cant see what else it could be? 1. the car has had a shunt at the front end and has a bent chassis. 2. the breaker has sent me 2 left or right struts as we foned a guy in a parts depot we know and checked and was told that they are sided ie not universal fit either side. any other ideas/opinions are welcome as i figure out what to do next. all i can say is there are no signs of a shunt or repair (believe me we looked hard) the car drives fine with no pulling on the steering when braking etc and all seems good and straight?
i did think maybe they are fitted the wrong way round but wouldnt the passenger side foul and rub the same as the drivers side? if they are supposed to be sided how do you tell left from right? are they marked as such?
Old 06 July 2012, 07:00 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

anyone any help with this ? cheers
Old 06 July 2012, 10:33 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

can someone confirm the struts are sided? not confident with the handling until this is sorted, thanks
Old 07 July 2012, 03:09 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

some one must have an idea lads surely? want this issue sorted as its my daily driver, thanks.
Old 07 July 2012, 07:03 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

any breakers on here any ideas with this? ta muchly
Old 08 July 2012, 06:36 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

help plz!! any clue anyone?
Old 08 July 2012, 09:24 PM
budgie smuggler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the top mounts ok have the springs just been cut to shorten if it's rubbing at the top mount something is out of line you tried a different strut done all 4 on me wagon no problem