Sponsored by:

PPP - buy on new car, or run in first?

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2002, 01:31 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Just read on another thread that the PPP is best fitted after 1000 miles to allow the engine to be run in.

Here we can buy brand new cars already fitted with PPP. Can anyone recommend if I ask them to leave it for the first 1000 miles, or is it not that important?

(Is Mr Wood etc reading this?)

Thanks
Brendan
Old 08 May 2002, 01:37 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the reason a lot PPP arent fitted from new is that under Uk law they have to be registered before the car can be fitted with the PPP. As the car has to go in for a 1000 miles service and up to 1000 you cant use over 4000rpm it seems pointless fitting from new. You may as well get the car earlier and have it done at the 1000 service. As well as it allow the car to loosen up and be checked out before the PPP is fitted.
Old 08 May 2002, 02:41 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Mine was fitted from new. Still keeped the car to the 4000rpm limit and so cant see it making any difference.
Old 08 May 2002, 02:48 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Chrisp is spot on, the car has to be registered before fitting. As to when, it makes NO diffrence. You run the car in upto 1000 miles keeping under 4000 rpm. So if you have the PPP on delivery you just don't get to use it for 1000 miles.

David
Old 08 May 2002, 03:32 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Shark et al. Have no idea about registration laws over here, but the car is offered by the main importers - you buy a WRX, or a WRX Prodrive for ?4000 Euros more (bigger brakes, wheels etc), as listed in the new car sections of all the main magazines.

I thought Prodrive wouldn't put their name to something without knowing about it first, but just thought I'd check with the unbiased views on here!

Brendan
Old 08 May 2002, 03:45 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Brendan

As my fellow Scoobynetters have pointed out, it makes no difference as to whether you have the PPP fitted when the car is new, or whether you wait for the first 1000 miles to be clocked up as the car will still need to be driven gently etc whilst being run in (so no performance benefit will be gained). The choice therefore is completely down to your preference.

p.s. Mike's currently on holiday so you have me watching over you all for the next couple of weeks......So please behave!
Old 08 May 2002, 03:50 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Brendan

Officialy we have the WRX, WRX PPP, STi Type UK, and the STi Prodrive style. The STi Prodrive is just cosmetic changes, thus not subject to the same rules as the PPP.

David
Old 08 May 2002, 03:52 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nick, many thanks for your reply (and vigilance!)

While you're there, do you have the details in English of the Prodrive changes made to the WRX over here? I have some in Portuguese, but they are a bit vague on the technical level, eg. "uprated suspension" - er, how? Similar/same as new STI? ISTR there are also bigger brake disks (from what to what?), Prodrive brake callipers (from ?pot to ?pot?) and new headlights - STI or "custom"?

Thanks in anticipation!

BJH
Old 08 May 2002, 05:19 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Brendan

Portugal use all the same parts as over here in the UK, with the exception of the healights (LHD instead of RHD).

The suspension is up-rated by use of our spring kit. It lowers the car by approx 20mm and helps to combat understeer when 'pushing on'. It also has the advantage over several kits on the market by not removing your fillings whenever you hit a stone chip in the middle of the road.

The brakes fitted in Portugal use our 330mm kit. I'm sure one of the IT bods on here can upload a photo for you (I struggle to switch this thing on in the mornings let alone upload pictures!). Brake fade is reduced and stopping power can only be described as awesome when compared to the standard brakes.

Headlights are the twin WRC style, similar to that used on the rally car.

Hope this is of help.

Nick.