ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

advice please

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2012, 08:57 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice please

I appreciate this is not related to Subaru or general Subaru topic but I need some pointers quickly so wanted to pop it in here for maximum exposure. So here goes......

A colleague at work has been looking for a new car and finally a couple of weeks back we bought a scirocco. Prior to this he was looking at a Honda civic, we test drove one local and he was set on getting one so the hunt for the right one went on. Within a few days we had found one in a main dealer about a two hour drive away. As it was so far all the right questions were asked all answers checked out so he put a £100 holding fee down and we were meant to drive up on the Saturday.

He then ran an insurance quote on the scirocco and it came back less than the civic by a huge amount so opted to get one of them instead.

Now he called to cancel and to ask for his holding fee back to be told by the sales rep he would have to speak to his boss and would call back. Two weeks later no call but here is where it gets strange
Today he has received a v5 log book in his name through the post for the civic!!! He has not signed anything. Not paid anything or even went to view the car!!!!

On a side note about a week after we were meant to go he got a txt from a finance company thanking him for taking out a deal but he / we thought nothing of it and put it down to some marketing thing like claiming ppi as he had been entering data all over the web for car dealers and insurance quotes etc.

Now what should he do?
What can he do to the dealer, as you have to sign the log book in person so someone must of signed it on his behalf!!!

Any pointers or advice would be great before he calls the dealer and the dvla In the morning.
Old 22 June 2012, 10:43 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
I appreciate this is not related to Subaru or general Subaru topic but I need some pointers quickly so wanted to pop it in here for maximum exposure. So here goes......

A colleague at work has been looking for a new car and finally a couple of weeks back we bought a scirocco. Prior to this he was looking at a Honda civic, we test drove one local and he was set on getting one so the hunt for the right one went on. Within a few days we had found one in a main dealer about a two hour drive away. As it was so far all the right questions were asked all answers checked out so he put a £100 holding fee down and we were meant to drive up on the Saturday.

He then ran an insurance quote on the scirocco and it came back less than the civic by a huge amount so opted to get one of them instead.

Now he called to cancel and to ask for his holding fee back to be told by the sales rep he would have to speak to his boss and would call back. Two weeks later no call but here is where it gets strange
Today he has received a v5 log book in his name through the post for the civic!!! He has not signed anything. Not paid anything or even went to view the car!!!!

On a side note about a week after we were meant to go he got a txt from a finance company thanking him for taking out a deal but he / we thought nothing of it and put it down to some marketing thing like claiming ppi as he had been entering data all over the web for car dealers and insurance quotes etc.

Now what should he do?
What can he do to the dealer, as you have to sign the log book in person so someone must of signed it on his behalf!!!

Any pointers or advice would be great before he calls the dealer and the dvla In the morning.
Hi, well firstly assuming what you say is correct and that he has not visited the dealer and only spoken over the phone, then if within seven days, under the distance selling regulations he has a right to cancel the transaction and receive his deposit back in full without even giving a reason.

Its a bit strange that the dealer has registered the car in his name, and foolish by them as it will add another name to the previous owner list therefore devaluing the car.

The other thing to be concerned about is that being listed as the registered keeper (not owner) means any parking / speeding tickets will come to him.

Has he put it in writing that he wants to cancel the transaction?
Old 22 June 2012, 11:01 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Just hold on to the v5. Phone the dealer and say i don't want the car and did not agree to buy it. When they ask for the v5 back say "sure,£100 sir".
Old 22 June 2012, 11:13 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Sounds a bit bent to me?? Has the dealer received any money from the finance company? You may not have signed anything but i would still check with the company that sent you that text that nothing has been applied for in your name as any finance agreement would be paid to the dealer so u may not have any idea, very unlikely it may be but still cover your back as stranger things have happened!
Old 22 June 2012, 11:16 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

First thing I'd be doing is calling the finance company to see what's going on.
Old 22 June 2012, 11:44 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

I would hope the finance txt was just a random thing like the ppi or we could win you claim with no fee thing that comes through sometimes but yes he will check although I think he deleted the txt so a call to the credit company such as experian or what ever it is to make sure no finance has been taken out in his name.

Issue I have is, this was a main dealer how the bell or why have they on his behalf possibly sold a car via finance without him even seing it let alone signing for the agreement. the hope is the finance txt is nothing but why or how would the dealer sign and send off the log book without his signature, surely that's some form of fraud commited by the sales man? Let alone stupidity as now it will have an extra owner on the book and he in theory will be in a world of poop with the boss for doing it.

Would it be an idea to call the dvla?
Old 22 June 2012, 11:49 PM
scoobywho2
Scooby Regular

I take it he gave them bank details to transfer the £100 deposit?

Sounds to me like fraud, i.e the car dealership has passed his bank details to a finance company and organized a finance package for the car and therefore sent you the v5 on the presumption he was buying the car.

First thing I would do is contact the finance company to get there side and then get him to check his credit report to see if a credit application has been made and if that is the case you have evidence of someone obtaining credit without his prior consent.
Old 22 June 2012, 11:55 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Main dealer?? Something dont add up somewhere, they dont tend to make them kimd of "silly" mistakes, ring the dealership and make sure the car is actually there and somebody has not taken a car out in your name as i know from personal rxperience this can be acheived! like i say something dont add up somewhere................could just be a genuine mistake tho??? Still cover ur ***