Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, clutch scraping and limp mode.

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2012, 10:47 PM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, clutch scraping and limp mode.

Right...... everything fit. I made sure everything went together properly, release bearing, pin, fork and everything, but it makes a horrible scraping noise whilst biting (also its a newage clutch in a classic, full kit not just plate). It isn't the release bearing either, its more of a scrape than a rough bearing noise. Also i accidentally pulled the speedo out of the clocks, which i will sort tomorrow. I need to top the gearbox up too of oil because i had none to put in it today. But the cars running limp mode i think because the fuel cut comes in at 4500 rpm, i tried diagnosing the fault codes with the connector but turns out the previous owner has taken the Engine management bulb out because it doesn't light up. Any advice on limp mode and the scraping noise would be nice, Thanks loui
Old 17 June 2012, 10:54 PM
Mrchips
Scooby Regular

What clutch do you have?
Old 17 June 2012, 10:57 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i think i know what this is. the body of the clutch is too wide as in where the springs are on the plate. these scrape against the flywheel bolts. the pressure plate is ok to use but the clutch plate isnt. i ordered one years ago for mine it wasnt meant to be a newage but this is what happened anyway.

limp mode might be because of the speedo

Last edited by stedee; 17 June 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 17 June 2012, 11:10 PM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Nightmare, so a newage flywheel wouldn't sort the problem? Also a exedy clutch kit.
Old 17 June 2012, 11:17 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i dont know, if the inside of the newage flywheel is recessed yes that would probably work, have you got a newage to nick bits off or something.i had this problem years ago and i had ordered a classic one off some dodgy ebay co. mine was meant to be an exedy aswell, was it f###.
Old 17 June 2012, 11:29 PM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

I bought mine from SouthEast imprezas with 5K on it, its got a lot of life left in it and has Exedy stamped on it. Hmm no but i can pick a lightened flywheel up for cheapish.
Old 17 June 2012, 11:49 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

its your risk but should work in theory i think, as long as the recess is deeper than a classic one, i played it safe and just bought a 2nd hand ap clutch
Old 18 June 2012, 12:09 AM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

In theory it should do, there isnt any reason why it shouldnt but you never know haha, im more bothered about having to do all that work again on it :/ Oh well.
Old 18 June 2012, 01:45 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At least you know how comes apart now lol

Sh!tty news that you have to take it apart again I'd be gutted.
Old 18 June 2012, 02:41 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

if you do it the engine way its easy, ive done one in 3 hours with a mate.

downpipe at turbo
loom on inlet
radiator
engine mounts
4bolts on box and starter (dont forget the pivot) lol
might be something else but i ve forgot

i used to jack the engine up to clear the bolts on the mounts and then put a scissor jack under the box to keep it in line when putting the engine back on,
wouldnt want to do it on my own though, i`m a lightweight
Old 18 June 2012, 09:04 AM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

That definitely sounds like an easier way, plus i have use on an engine crane too! So beats jacks and dont have to struggle around underneath the car in oil and banging my head of everything. Also with a crane it could then me a one man job.
Old 18 June 2012, 09:13 AM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

I know Paulo, all to me done again :/ and more expense. Oh well this time if the engines coming out i will change the plugs too!
Old 18 June 2012, 10:03 AM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Also before when yours scraped, was it all the time when the gears where engaged or just at biting point whilst setting of or slowing down using a down shift and releasing the clutch slowly. Whilst im driving its fine, no noticeable noise really (maybe a little, cant remember) and also between gear changes too its fine as long as i do it quickly, its only when i release the clutch slowly it scrapes. was this the same symptoms as you? Cheers Loui
Old 21 June 2012, 07:23 PM
Scrappygit
Scooby Newbie

My box has gone in my newage impreza wrx, took the box out and removed the clutch and it was allready fitted with a exedy pink-box clutch. But it must have been rubbing on the flywheel bolts, and the springs on the clutch had rubbed on the flywheel. Anyone know why this would be? I've only had the car for 2 months lol. Me and my boss at work seem to think the is one of the reasons why my box has failed. But would it be because the wrong clutch was fitted to my impreza when the previous owner fitted a clutch? The flywheel has marks on it now so I'm gunna get a new clutch kit and flywheel so hopefully that will sort the problem. Anyone shed any light on this or know anyone that this has happened to aswell? Thanks

Last edited by Scrappygit; 21 June 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 21 June 2012, 11:47 PM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Hello, i just got my engine out today and compared flywheels. The newage dual mass wrx flywheel has a deeper recess allowing the bolts to sit lower that on a classic flywheel. The flywheel bolt heads have been scraped by the clutch plate near where the springs are and there are marks on there too. I will upload photos tomorrow. I'm guessing a new-age flywheel with a classic clutch kit would work fine, but just not the opposite due to the problems i have received and also a few others. Cheers Loui
Old 21 June 2012, 11:51 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scrappygit
My box has gone in my newage impreza wrx, took the box out and removed the clutch and it was allready fitted with a exedy pink-box clutch. But it must have been rubbing on the flywheel bolts, and the springs on the clutch had rubbed on the flywheel. Anyone know why this would be? I've only had the car for 2 months lol. Me and my boss at work seem to think the is one of the reasons why my box has failed. But would it be because the wrong clutch was fitted to my impreza when the previous owner fitted a clutch? The flywheel has marks on it now so I'm gunna get a new clutch kit and flywheel so hopefully that will sort the problem. Anyone shed any light on this or know anyone that this has happened to aswell? Thanks
wrong flywheel
Old 21 June 2012, 11:52 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by louimfc
Hello, i just got my engine out today and compared flywheels. The newage dual mass wrx flywheel has a deeper recess allowing the bolts to sit lower that on a classic flywheel. The flywheel bolt heads have been scraped by the clutch plate near where the springs are and there are marks on there too. I will upload photos tomorrow. I'm guessing a new-age flywheel with a classic clutch kit would work fine, but just not the opposite due to the problems i have received and also a few others. Cheers Loui
told ya
Old 21 June 2012, 11:56 PM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Yep you were right! Cheers