Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Impreza STI Type R (DCCD Guide for dummies)

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2012, 04:20 PM
SubaruHolic786
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1997 Impreza STI Type R (DCCD Guide for dummies)

I have recently bought a 1997 near perfect condition type R (5th scooby) and sometimes I find it rather RWD than AWD?

I've also heard its meant to be set specifically at something else whilst parked (reading johnfelsteads post but too technical).

Can someone help me please

I usually leave in all the way down on the green auto but I don't know if its right. I'd like it to be in a position where its like a normal AWD subaru (NON DCCD) if possible.

I don't get what is meant by 'open diff ' ?

Help in the most specific way will be grateful

Thankyou
Old 17 June 2012, 04:38 PM
mikeWR1
Scooby Regular

Auto is the correct position for Normal driving. Diff all the way open means more power to back wheels, if you have it open you will find that it dont like it when you are manoeuvring at low speed, ie turning into driveways or similar, mine likes to make a bit of a grinding sound when i do this, so make sure you turn it back to AUTO before you park it up.
Hope this helps...
Old 17 June 2012, 05:01 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no AUTO setting on the classic DCCD.

When parking it should be the bottom green light.

You have DCCD so it won't be like a 'normal' non DCCD impreza.
Old 17 June 2012, 05:20 PM
mikeWR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
There is no AUTO setting on the classic DCCD.

When parking it should be the bottom green light.

You have DCCD so it won't be like a 'normal' non DCCD impreza.
Didnt know that, can you still adjust the DCCD on a classic, or is it just open or closed ? i dont fully open mine coz its much to ars end if i do
Old 17 June 2012, 05:22 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Best way to use it is open in the dry and move it forward a few lights in wet weather if you dont like the rwd feeling, when going slow or parking wind it all the way back as you will get diff wind up and some clunking(normal) full lock 50/50 in the snow and as above, there is no "auto" function on the classic gearbox its just fully open which i think is about 60/40 split or maybe 70/30 i cant remember now.
Old 17 June 2012, 06:15 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikeWR1
Didnt know that, can you still adjust the DCCD on a classic, or is it just open or closed ? i dont fully open mine coz its much to ars end if i do
You can adjust it but you have to manually do it,there are a couple of DCCD controllers that will allow an AUTO setting on a classic DCCD car.
Old 17 June 2012, 08:33 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Read this.

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...anslation.html
Old 17 June 2012, 08:52 PM
mikeWR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
That is interesting, i was told only to use LOCK on the dccd in snow only. I will have to have a little play around.
Old 17 June 2012, 10:54 PM
SubaruHolic786
Scooby Newbie

What I meant by auto was when its set all the way to the back... Its just I wanted it like my previous non DCCD scoobs but I will have a play tomorrow after work on dead country roads to establish what suits me best. Anything else I should know about these DCCD scoobs?

Thanks for your help guys
Old 17 June 2012, 11:08 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

only change settings when you are moving btw

open diff basically means the power will go to the easiest place usually the back wheels, the 4 other settings are basically pushing the drive to the front
Old 18 June 2012, 08:14 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SubaruHolic786
I have recently bought a 1997 near perfect condition type R (5th scooby) and sometimes I find it rather RWD than AWD?

I've also heard its meant to be set specifically at something else whilst parked (reading johnfelsteads post but too technical).

Can someone help me please

I usually leave in all the way down on the green auto but I don't know if its right. I'd like it to be in a position where its like a normal AWD subaru (NON DCCD) if possible.

I don't get what is meant by 'open diff ' ?

Help in the most specific way will be grateful

Thankyou
Read up on the DCCD - bit late now as you've bought the car but better late than never. Into the first amber should give a near Turbo 2000/WRX drive, I.e non DCCD.

Auto is the correct position for Normal driving. Diff all the way open means more power to back wheels, if you have it open you will find that it dont like it when you are manoeuvring at low speed, ie turning into driveways or similar, mine likes to make a bit of a grinding sound when i do this, so make sure you turn it back to AUTO before you park it up.
Hope this helps...
DCCD - Driver Controlled Center Diff, the clue is in the name
Old 18 June 2012, 09:22 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The % split is 65 rear 35 front.

If you want it to behave during normal fast road, two lights is about right, sometimes 3 if it's a bit damp, you can wind it all the way forward if you like, it does no harm, which is a popular miss conception.

I sugest you adjust your driving style slightly by changing your road position for entering corners, which in turn alters your exit and the point at which you get on the throttle, the trick with dccd is not to lose your bottle and lift off, as that will result in a major tank slapper, just keep light throttle/power at the wheels and steadily increase as you exit.

DCCD is not as forgiving as normal 4 wheel drive so you need to learn to set the car up before you get to the corner and focus a little bit more on your technique until you can have it all the way back and happy days.

I also really does need to be set up properly, as in ALK, solid drop links and rear antiroll bar, then have a propper corner weighted geo set up done by someone that knows what they are doing with scoobs.

And a track day with a spot of tuition is never a bad thing.

Have fun and just take it easy for a while, until you learn to drive with your ***, a go in some decent go carts will also help a lot, and is a cheap safe way to get some tail out practice.

Welcome to the drivers club.
Old 18 June 2012, 12:55 PM
mikeWR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Read up on the DCCD - bit late now as you've bought the car but better late than never. Into the first amber should give a near Turbo 2000/WRX drive, I.e non DCCD.

DCCD - Driver Controlled Center Diff, the clue is in the name
Lol.. I asked for that.
Old 18 June 2012, 07:39 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Neetronics and DCCD Pro both do controllers with AUTO settings looking at a DCCD Pro controller myself.