Looking at 2008 Hatch, Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2012, 11:13 PM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 2008 Hatch, Advice?

Hey guys

Im looking at a 2008 Hatch as my next car, mainly due to it being 50% cheaper to insure than all other subaru, at 22 its all i will get away with.

My question is engine failure seems to be a big issue in these models, am i best to steer clear?

If getting an 08 is a bad idea will probably have to leave the subaru until the other side of 25 due to insurance quotes!

Cheers guys
Old 16 June 2012, 11:16 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

What model, is it an sti ?
Old 16 June 2012, 11:18 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with my bosses son for an 08 sti checked it had the reflash for the map problem and no other recall everything was fine pm rob84 on here he has one and im sure he works for subaru
Old 16 June 2012, 11:22 PM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

hey guys sorry, yes an sti. Is it worth getting one with the PPP?

Im not looking to buy just yet, im still at the research phase. Want to know what can go wrong with them so i can look at the impact on my wallet over ownership (exc fuel)

looking at ones lik this: http://beta.pistonheads.com/classifi...tchback/427846

out of interest what are the differences between regular, wrx and sti hatches? just bhp?

Last edited by InfernoUk; 16 June 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 16 June 2012, 11:28 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InfernoUk
hey guys sorry, yes an sti. Is it worth getting one with the PPP?

Im not looking to buy just yet, im still at the research phase. Want to know what can go wrong with them so i can look at the impact on my wallet over ownership (exc fuel)
There a great car . If i were you i would phone around some of the great engine builds and get a quote to put forged pistons in. Then when you go to buy the car budget it with that cost in mind.
There is a thread hear on the subject of which engine builder.
Forged pistons = peace of mind.
Old 16 June 2012, 11:43 PM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by chopperman
There a great car . If i were you i would phone around some of the great engine builds and get a quote to put forged pistons in. Then when you go to buy the car budget it with that cost in mind.
There is a thread hear on the subject of which engine builder.
Forged pistons = peace of mind.
so forged pistons fixes all problems? reminds me of looking at the corsa VXRs with their piston 4 issues lol, same solution
Old 17 June 2012, 12:00 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

so forged pistons fixes all problems? reminds me of looking at the corsa VXRs with their piston 4 issues lol, same solution
Forged pistons and a set of head studs will make it a great car. The car it should have been to start with really.
Old 17 June 2012, 12:04 AM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

Forged pistons and a set of head studs will make it a great car. The car it should have been to start with really.
is that a large cost on top of initial purchase? how can i be sure the damage isnt already done when i buy?

its either one of these or a focus RS which dosent seem to have any issues (bit isnt qute as awesome)
Old 17 June 2012, 12:13 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

is that a large cost on top of initial purchase? how can i be sure the damage isnt already done when i buy?

its either one of these or a focus RS which dosent seem to have any issues (bit isnt qute as awesome)
The best thing to do is buy one with the build cost as part of your over all budget then get the job done straight away. It's best to get them done before they go bang. Once done you can relax and enjoy a car thats far better than a focas RS. I like the RS but its front wheel drive.
Old 17 June 2012, 12:15 AM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

The best thing to do is buy one with the build cost as part of your over all budget then get the job done straight away. It's best to get them done before they go bang. Once done you can relax and enjoy a car thats far better than a focas RS. I like the RS but its front wheel drive.
yea i just wondered if replacing them instantly sorted the problem of if the issue slowly damages other areas.

Wheres the best place to get it done so i can look at prices?

Thanks for your help!
Old 17 June 2012, 12:17 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

yea i just wondered if replacing them instantly sorted the problem of if the issue slowly damages other areas.

Wheres the best place to get it done so i can look at prices?

Thanks for your help!
Check out this thread.
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...e-rebuild.html
Old 17 June 2012, 12:23 AM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

so its around £1500?

hard to find a pricing guide in the threads or recommended companies sites!
Old 17 June 2012, 12:26 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

so its around £1500?

hard to find a pricing guide in the threads or recommended companies sites!
As a ball part figure to get the engine re-built as a drive in drive out deal with pistons bearings studs cam belt ect i think your looking at about £3k mate. But don't quote me. I think the parts alone would be £1500+
Old 17 June 2012, 12:27 AM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

As a ball part figure to get the engine re-built as a drive in drive out deal with pistons bearings studs cam belt ect i think your looking at about £3k mate. But don't quote me. I think the parts alone would be £1500+
ah right 3k is a lot to factor in to the build, might go for the Focus RS if this is the case. less hassel
Old 17 June 2012, 12:34 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

ah right 3k is a lot to factor in to the build, might go for the Focus RS if this is the case. less hassel
Of course the other way is look to buy one cheap that's gone pop. I've seen one or two on ebay in the past going cheap because its popped and the warranty peeps will not pay. Hassle as you say though but imo the better car at the end of the day.
Old 17 June 2012, 12:36 AM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

Of course the other way is look to buy one cheap that's gone pop. I've seen one or two on ebay in the past going cheap because its popped and the warranty peeps will not pay. Hassle as you say though but imo the better car at the end of the day.
yea i like them both equally so anything to sway it is useful info in deciding. I would like one but an instant 3k+ just for piece of mind that 1 fault wont happen is perhaps to much, something else could break and then id be spending even more...

would it make sense to buy a cheaper higher milage one and do the forge on that? at the moment im aiming at around 30k miles, but i could buy one 3k cheaper with more miles and forge. but i dont know what others tuff would need repairing at the higher milages
Old 17 June 2012, 12:47 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

yea i like them both equally so anything to sway it is useful info in deciding. I would like one but an instant 3k+ just for piece of mind that 1 fault wont happen is perhaps to much, something else could break and then id be spending even more...

would it make sense to buy a cheaper higher milage one and do the forge on that? at the moment im aiming at around 30k miles, but i could buy one 3k cheaper with more miles and forge. but i dont know what others tuff would need repairing at the higher milages
There not know for anything else really, just pistons. The rest of the car is pretty much bomb proof.
Old 17 June 2012, 12:56 AM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

There not know for anything else really, just pistons. The rest of the car is pretty much bomb proof.
so something like this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/9?logcode=p

+£3K for the reforge and im good to go except for regular consumables for as long as I own it?

as the car plus the 3K is around good focus RS money so should be ok
Old 17 June 2012, 01:04 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

so something like this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/9?logcode=p

+£3K for the reforge and im good to go except for regular consumables for as long as I own it?

as the car plus the 3K is around good focus RS money so should be ok
I don't think anyone can guarantee that lol but the only problems im aware they suffer is piston ring-land fracture. Obviously if that has happened on a car your buying you would re-build the engine completely as other damage may have been caused.
Not every car suffers this, it's more the modified cars or the cars with the old map.
As for Focus RS, i doubt there without there problems.
Old 17 June 2012, 01:06 AM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

I don't think anyone can guarantee that lol but the only problems im aware they suffer is piston ring-land fracture. Obviously if that has happened on a car your buying you would re-build the engine completely as other damage may have been caused.
Not every car suffers this, it's more the modified cars or the cars with the old map.
As for Focus RS, i doubt there without there problems.
yea thats my concern, getting a car already damaged and having to throw down even more money on a red build fixing that damage.

And the FRS dosent seem to have any issues as glaring as this one, i wont be mapping or anything for more power for a long time but id love to keep this car for 3-5 years depending on my finances so I want it to have its options open. But buying seems to be dodgy when i could get one with damage or one that just needs the regular forging...
Old 17 June 2012, 01:14 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Out of interest how does the RS insurance compare to the hatch sti ?
I think you should go and test drive both and wee what you like. Set you budget and stick to it. If your budget is 16k you want to be looking for a car around 13k or look for a car thats already forged.
Old 17 June 2012, 01:18 AM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

Out of interest how does the RS insurance compare to the hatch sti ?
I think you should go and test drive both and wee what you like. Set you budget and stick to it. If your budget is 16k you want to be looking for a car around 13k or look for a car thats already forged.
the hatch is around £100 less than the RS. both are near to £1500 at 22 years old (2 years NCB) which isnt to bad.

My budget isnt final yet, it depends on circumstance when the time to buy approaches, but id like to stick to around 15-16k max because of insurance costs, which is around a 40k mile rs or a similar milage sti with money for a forge.

not sure how many good sti there are for 13k, also havent seen any forged yet. I wonder how big of a problem it actually is across all the cars? i wonder if i could get away with not forging for a little while to keep initial purchase costs down. I mean the amount i see on PH and Auto trader with 40k miles but not have had any issues with it...

Last edited by InfernoUk; 17 June 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 17 June 2012, 01:38 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

would love to know what insurance you'd pay at 22 on a std STi hatch.. and a quote on a PPP Sti... and a FRS
Old 17 June 2012, 01:40 PM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by salsa-king
would love to know what insurance you'd pay at 22 on a std STi hatch.. and a quote on a PPP Sti... and a FRS
ive already mentioned it in this thread... its £1500
Old 17 June 2012, 02:40 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

InfernoUk,

Get the Focus, it's a better car anyway and do you really want to be worrying every time you use your car that it could fail and that if it does you will have a £2-3K bill?

There are some other issues repoted with the hatches too such as cracking and rust in the roof seams, poor quality seats ....

Why give yourself the hassle when a bombproof Focus is available instead?
Old 17 June 2012, 07:30 PM
ste sti spec d
Scooby Regular

16 k ! . It's gotta be an rs 4 , no forging worries there and near as 400 horse smooth as you like,
Old 17 June 2012, 08:03 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
InfernoUk,

Get the Focus, it's a better car anyway and do you really want to be worrying every time you use your car that it could fail and that if it does you will have a £2-3K bill?

There are some other issues repoted with the hatches too such as cracking and rust in the roof seams, poor quality seats ....

Why give yourself the hassle when a bombproof Focus is available instead?
Have to agree!!!

I know its a subaru forum, but even from a subaru enthusiast Id pick the Focus RS. It looks better and sounds just as good as the hatch STi.
Old 17 June 2012, 08:14 PM
InfernoUk
Scooby Newbie

yea i think the FRS is the way forward for me, i just wanted the 4WD and love Japanese cars!
Old 17 June 2012, 08:38 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

PPP waste of time on an 08, It's out of warranty get a custom remap it will ensure longevity of the engine.

Piston upgrades are a wise choice on these.
Old 17 June 2012, 09:37 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

RS

A

Quick Reply: Looking at 2008 Hatch, Advice?