Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel skimming anyone?

Anyone know where I can get my flywheel lightened or/ and skimmed? Cheers
Old 03 June 2012, 12:00 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any of your local engineering shops should be able to skim your flywheel for you
Old 03 June 2012, 12:01 AM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Why?? There are loads of lightened ones on the net, any machine workshop can skim it for you.
Old 03 June 2012, 12:07 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd be extremely careful about lightened flywheels because they can let go. Of course there are decent ones out there but you have to know what you're buying and pay decent money. I wouldn't let just anyone lighten a flywheel for me and I wouldn't buy one that isn't a good one.

Skim is the way forward
Old 03 June 2012, 12:19 AM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Hello, cheers for the advice. So I'm best just getting my standard skimmed and avoid getting it lightened. I would buy one but it's cheaper to skim mine than buy one also I can't afford a new one at the moment. Thanks, Loui
Old 03 June 2012, 01:04 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

That's what I'd do, what are your aims? I'm not running a lightened flywheel and I'm currently at 420bhp in a classic
Old 03 June 2012, 10:00 AM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Cheers, i will have a ring round some engineering companys on Tuesday/Wednesday whenever they open after bank holiday. Found a clutch kit with 5,000 miles on it too for £45, waterpump of you for £25, Gasket for £4, and also a quick question iv been told i may aswell change the crankshaft oil seal while im at it. Might seem like a stupid question would it be classed as the front or rear seal?

If all goes well and i receive everything by friday, and also put some serious graft in this week il have the scooby back up and running for Yorkshire Modified Car Show in Pickering

Cheers Loui
Old 03 June 2012, 10:58 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

i have used this company for over 10years they are very good, http://www.wdbltd.co.uk/wilkinson_dy...balancing.html
Old 03 June 2012, 02:09 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used to get a lot of flywheels lightened and the front surface ground. At the time I thought this was cost effective and we could get down to 7.5 kg. Bear in mind that on top of the machine shop charge you have the cost of getting the flywheel there and back. I think at that time we were charging £90 or £100 for a lightened flywheel and we still have some in stock. However, I then went on to using ACT billet flywheels of just over 4 and 6 kg and wish I had made that decision much earlier as these were far superior to the machining OE option and they are £235 each plus £12.50 postage.
What is the reason you feel that you need a machined flywheel?
Old 03 June 2012, 07:13 PM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Cheers, and because the clutch has been slipping for a couple of weeks now so iv been told if im driving it with a slipping clutch my flywheel will be knackered. Unless they were wrong? Im not aiming for anything in particular, just my car running right. Obviously skimming will make it slightly lighter, but that would just be a bonus on top of a back to working condition flywheel. Obviously if i am quoted anymore than £60 for a skim i will turn it down because there is a 2nd hand lightened flywheel on Ebay for the same price. Thanks, Loui
Old 03 June 2012, 07:46 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

A flywheel skim should cost at least £60 I'd say, any cheaper than that and you've done well. You're right though, the flywheel will more than likely need skimming and it's a worthwhile job.
Old 03 June 2012, 09:35 PM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i have a mate who is an engineer. I may aswell give him a ring and see if he fancies a govie job cash in hand Cheers Loui
Old 03 June 2012, 10:10 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

What does mfc stand for?
Old 03 June 2012, 10:35 PM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

middlesbrough football club, i dont even like football anymore but every user name i have created in the last 8 years has been "louimfc" so i just keep it.
Old 04 June 2012, 09:19 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

We find it's hardly worth machining flywheels on Imprezas. They suffer badly from being overheated, and removing material doesn't help one bit. You'll find all the high spots at the thinnest part of the face.
Personally, I'd just fit a new stock one unless you're going on track.
A light flywheel is a disadvantage when drag racing unless you're really winding up the launch.
Old 04 June 2012, 09:46 AM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Hello, thankyou for the advice. I will look into a new flywheel then. Thank
Old 04 June 2012, 11:19 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Louimfc: If the flywheel has been slipping it does not necessarily need replacing. You don't know that until you examine it and when someone comes to us to have a clutch fittted or gearbox swapped we always examine the flywheel and for that reason we always have a couple of machined flywheels for around £90 in stock.
It may well be you don't need a flywheel and if someone says you need one automatically they are probably out to make money out of you regardless.
Like I said, we have both secondhand, machined and lightened and also new ACT billet for £235.
Some years ago when I got in to flywheels on Subarus and was also heavily involved in quarter mile and top speed running at Elvington I found that with the OE flywheel the car came off the line between 3500 and 4000 RPM quite satisfactorily and eay to control. With one of our OE machined lightweight flywheels take off increased beyond 4000 RPM and with one of our lightest flywheels we are looking at in excess of 4500 RPM for a good launch which is dependent on the launch surface and whether it is wet. Having launch control is a definate benefit as it takes a lot of the skill out of it and can be very consistant.
If you want your clutch fitting, assuming you supply, we would charge you £155 to fit the clutch and examine the flywheel. We could also supply you with a new standard clutch for £155 or talk through your options on an uprated clutch.
We are Darlington.
Old 04 June 2012, 12:55 PM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Ok, thank you for the advice once again. I have already ordered my new clutch but thank you for the offer. I will be stripping the car down from now until friday so between now and then i will be able to examine it. What am i looking for it regards to it being warped? Just an uneven surface? Obviously fingers crossed it is fine. Thank you, Loui
Old 04 June 2012, 12:59 PM
scooby uk
Scooby Regular

hi im not hijacking but my post dont seem to be going out does anyone know what version my impreza is its a 98 with a facelift dash and front end. im buying a apexi fc and its for versions 5/6 would this be ok! any help would be great!
Old 05 June 2012, 11:39 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Where is the coil pack located? Central on the front of the inlet manifold is version 3/4 and off set is version 5/6.
Flywheel surface should not look like a ploughed field, obviously, but also there should not be blued areas on the surface which indicates high spots which have overheated.
Using a steel rule check the flywheel surface is even/level. It is very unusual that you can warp an OE flywheel.
Old 05 June 2012, 11:46 AM
louimfc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hello, i think i got myself all worried over the flywheel. I was talking to a mechanic.yesterday and he said to be honest it will be fine aslong as when you let the clutch out it doesnt judder. If it doesbt judder.he wouldnt bother changing it if it was his. Thanks for all the advice, been a great help!
Old 05 June 2012, 02:28 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

I was in the same boat as yourself,and considering a skimmed flywheel before fitting a new clutch.A quick search in the traders section saw me bag a mint RCM supalight (4.35 kgs)flywheel for £90.Not bad as they retail at over £400,bargain

Name:  3313607a.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  96.4 KB