Sponsored by:

Hit 'n run, noooooo!

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2001, 08:02 PM
JamieR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Huurrmph - my other half as just come back from a shopping spree with a dunt in my lovely MY00 whilst sitting in a car park. Looks like a 4x4 gave it a good shunt on full lock judging by the 2ft scrape ABOVE the bumper, behind the offside rear wheel. I can also feel a small bulge just inside the wheelarch, so it doesn't look superficial.

Still, she did everything she could when she got back and saw the damage - no cameras, but asked around, left her details, etc. I reckon the alarm must have gone off and scared whoever did it away...

Is it worth reporting it to plod? I reckon it would have to cost £1K to fix before it would be worth making a claim. Also, any harm in phoning my insurer just to ask a few questions - will they get nervous if I mention it but don't claim?

Thanks,

Jamie

[This message has been edited by JamieR (edited 13 April 2001).]
Old 13 April 2001, 08:37 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Jamie
Having been in this situation myself, yes report it to plod. What difference does it make telling them if it was not your fault. They may not find the person that did it but who's to say the driver of the other car didn't hit someone else who got the reg number ? I would also go back to the car park at the same time on a couple of days and see if there were any vehicles with damage that matches yours.

I would be careful about telling my insuance company. A friend of mine recently told his insurance company about a minor scrape he had with another car. It wasn't a problem until he tried to insure a differnt car with another insurer. The first insurance company had logged that he had reported an accident to them, when he took out the new insurance he told the second company that he was claim and accident free.
Several weeks later he got a really ****ty note from the new insurer asking about the other accident. Although he hadn't claimed it was still passed from one insurer to the other on there combined database.
He didn't have to pay an extra premium but was told that if he had been involved in an accident before they found out about the other incident then his insurance would have been invalid. Some insurance companies I feel sure would charge extra, knowing that the car had been damaged before even if it was not your fault.

Cheers mate
Nathan