Sponsored by:

337bhp where to go now.

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2012, 11:37 PM
Jelly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 337bhp where to go now.

I have recently bought an 05 STI ppp which is running at 337bhp. I would ideally like to head towards 400bhp. As a standard 6 speed gearbox, clutch and internals what would be a reliable max power to aim for and what sort of components would get me there. I am happy with chassis and brakes so power next. Only a couple of engine mods so far, Ecutek unlocked & Re mapped and stainless steel headers

Thanks
Old 25 May 2012, 11:43 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

enjoy it as it is ,is my advise.
Old 25 May 2012, 11:43 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put the original spoiler back on
Old 25 May 2012, 11:50 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

400 is okay, my Sti bugeye is running at 440 bhp for the last couple of years, from what I have been told 450 bhp is about the limit. You will be looking at turbo, uprated injectors (go for a parallel fuel rail setup) you already have a uprated fuel pump from the PPP maybe a better exhaust. Firstly I would go for a bespoke remap to get the best out of the car currently, get a geometry setup. A set of braided hoses aswell as the brace for the master cylinder to overcome bulkhead flex. Do this prior to spending on power upgrades as a good handling car with effective brakes will be good fun on B roads. I upgraded to 360bhp then did the suspension,Tein flex coil overs, replaced all bushes with either powerflex or whiteline, whiteline ARB before pushing the power furthger.
Old 26 May 2012, 12:35 AM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Sort the handling and pads!
Old 26 May 2012, 12:37 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Stop the modding now as it only gets worse and much much more expensive
Old 26 May 2012, 12:38 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by stevebt
Stop the modding now as it only gets worse and much much more expensive
+1
Old 26 May 2012, 12:50 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

330 isnt enough in a newage thou! I know im running the same. Need MOAR
Old 26 May 2012, 03:17 AM
underground.scoobys
Scooby Newbie

Anything over 400bhp I would forge it including upgraded oil pick up as well as other mods according to the bhp

Stock internals are softer materials from pistons to valves you will just reduce the life limit of the engine depending on what kind of mileage is on there already and how aggressively it’s been driven sooner or later you will end up in the workshop for a rebuild any way. Depending on which turbo you going for the bigger turbo spools late and will hit the red line but it all so will eat up you engine internals ending up with fried pistons and burnt valves or a knocking crank.

Don’t get me wrong you can run as much bhp and boost as you want but with the engine been second hand with ware and tare you will just kill what’s remaining of it earlier the expected.

At lease with the ppp you know the stock internals are safe and will last.

The bigger the upgrades are with stock internals the bigger the hole will get in your pocket.

And if you really are up to it get another engine do your home work start collecting the bits and when there all there do a rebuild pull the stock engine out drop the new one in
Get your joy out of it and when you go to sell it swap the engine back in. Sooner or later you will end up with another Scooby and even if you don’t you will get your money back from the engine.

BASH FROM UNDERGROUND SCOOBYS.
Old 26 May 2012, 07:42 AM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Is it a daily driver or a weekend toy? Can you afford for it to be off the road if something does go bang?
Old 26 May 2012, 09:24 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Sell it and buy an Evo IX if it isn't fast enough.

Its engine tunes to 400 with basic mods and it is fully spooled like a 2.5 Subaru engine running the same power but so much stronger.

The Subaru 2.0 is strong but on single scroll headers with a 400 BHP turbo spools late.

Last edited by john banks; 26 May 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 26 May 2012, 10:31 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

We built two 450 bhp versions of this model going back nearly five years ago. Stock engines, neither one has been out of the car. Both still going perfectly.
It's about making the right tuning choices, and looking after the car.
Old 26 May 2012, 10:35 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

At what RPM did they exceed 300 and 400 lbft Alan? What red line? Thinking power band and response.
Old 26 May 2012, 10:58 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

underground.scoobys - Are you speaking of experience? Ive had a 400bhp newage, and other than niggles (mainly sensors) it didnt miss a heartbeat, even with a 20% meth map. I have to say its not just the operator/driver than can push a car to fail, its also down to how it has been mapped, and I have never had one bad map yet, and as a result have never been off the road as a result of a poor map, nor engine failure.

I can probably rhyme off a dozen cars and members on here whoms newage standard engine's are running over 400bhp at ease, some even seeing 500bhp for a limited time and drove like they were stolen! Others that have "been there and done that" have moved onto built motors usually before the engine fails, so again no failures to report, and only went built as they knew that they wanted more, and a stock newage long engine is worth 4 £ figures in working order, where one thats sh@t itself isnt.

So going back to the OP's question:

Stock Engine with a reputable map
Gearbox and clutch should be fine bar launches
You already have some decent headers and up pipe?

Good free flowing exhaust
Decent Panel Filter (K&N, Cossie, Green) or Induction kit
Walbro or HRC pump (worth replacing yours as not all PPP were fitted with walbro's)
AF20G, SC20G, Harvey's 20G, MD321H, SC42 Turbo (many other you could try)
Silicon intake pipe (The cheap OEM plastic one is a little restrictive)
3 Port Boost solenoid (control boost better)
Bigger injectors, 650cc or bigger, or get yours decapped by lateral performance

Consider a meth map too (switchable can be done on the OEM ecu)

Hope this helps, I have a thread on here that you might be interested in as im going down a similar route myself (again lol)

Regards
Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 26 May 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 26 May 2012, 11:38 AM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a UK 2005 sti 2.0 blob, bought it with the PPP, it was running 327 bhp mapped by a firm that mainly specialize in skylines? (previous owner)..

Since owning it I have swapped the dreadful standard newage sti suspension for some tein type flex coilovers and sorted the brakes braided brake lines, blue stuff pads, then engine and performance mods came this year as follows:-

K&N panel filter
Harveys TD05 20g
Harvey up-pipe
Cobra 3" exhaust trackday friendly (turbo back)
3port boost solenoid
Fuellab AFPR (running 4.5bar)
PFR7B's
Misimoto 3 core rad + zerosports 71 degree stat - (my standard rad was leaking before all these mods!)

mapped on v-power.

Can only guestimate at the power as it has not been on the rollers in donkeys but would hazard a guess of arround 370-380bhp

This is my daily drive *(70+ miles a day) I just keep oil changes (+diff etc) regular every 3.5k and change the plugs every 15/20k - It gets driven hard!

Last edited by Ginola; 26 May 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 26 May 2012, 11:57 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginola
Can only guestimate at the power as it has not been on the rollers in donkeys but would hazard a guess of arround 370-380bhp
I dont think they are far of the figures Harvey himself would quote on his own 20G turbo, I recall him saying it break the 400bhp marker with other supporting mods, which I guess would be Meth?

Rob
Old 26 May 2012, 12:24 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Day
I dont think they are far of the figures Harvey himself would quote on his own 20G turbo, I recall him saying it break the 400bhp marker with other supporting mods, which I guess would be Meth?

Rob
Probably Meth yea, With mine, I could change the induction (rgr clark trumpet etc /turbo inlet pipe+headers + Ecu (EXPENSE!) and "probably" make 400 on v-power

Hope we have given the OP some idea's
Old 26 May 2012, 01:45 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginola
Probably Meth yea, With mine, I could change the induction (rgr clark trumpet etc /turbo inlet pipe+headers + Ecu (EXPENSE!) and "probably" make 400 on v-power

Hope we have given the OP some idea's
Yeah that's why I'm doing bar the aftermarket ecu, and that's only because there has been so many advances recently with open source std ecu mapping.

My map will give me AL, LC, In gear boast control, flat foot shifting, and Dual maps.

My spec so far if this helps the original poster

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ods-begin.html

Rob
Old 26 May 2012, 04:28 PM
Jelly
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's a weekend car really although I use it daily to get to the station because I can. I do enjoy driving it.

I will have a look at Robs thread.

To address the handling/braking I have

Prodrive/Eibach lowering springs
Whiteline 24mm rear anti roll bar
Whiteline drop links
Whiteline Rear camber bolts
Whiteline Anti Lift front Castor kit
Prodrive Geometry Settings
Goodridge Braided brake Hoses
Ferodo DS 2500 Brake Pads and slotted & dimpled brake discs
Old 26 May 2012, 10:21 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by john banks
At what RPM did they exceed 300 and 400 lbft Alan? What red line? Thinking power band and response.
This was one of them John, see for yourself !

With the advances in turbo tech since then, we can now offer better spool than was available then

Last edited by MartynJ; 26 May 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 28 May 2012, 06:00 AM
underground.scoobys
Scooby Newbie

underground.scoobys - Are you speaking of experience? Ive had a 400bhp newage, and other than niggles (mainly sensors) it didnt miss a heartbeat, even with a 20% meth map. I have to say its not just the operator/driver than can push a car to fail, its also down to how it has been mapped, and I have never had one bad map yet, and as a result have never been off the road as a result of a poor map, nor engine failure.

I can probably rhyme off a dozen cars and members on here whoms newage standard engine's are running over 400bhp at ease, some even seeing 500bhp for a limited time and drove like they were stolen! Others that have "been there and done that" have moved onto built motors usually before the engine fails, so again no failures to report, and only went built as they knew that they wanted more, and a stock newage long engine is worth 4 £ figures in working order, where one thats sh@t itself isnt.

So going back to the OP's question:

Stock Engine with a reputable map
Gearbox and clutch should be fine bar launches
You already have some decent headers and up pipe?

Good free flowing exhaust
Decent Panel Filter (K&N, Cossie, Green) or Induction kit
Walbro or HRC pump (worth replacing yours as not all PPP were fitted with walbro's)
AF20G, SC20G, Harvey's 20G, MD321H, SC42 Turbo (many other you could try)
Silicon intake pipe (The cheap OEM plastic one is a little restrictive)
3 Port Boost solenoid (control boost better)
Bigger injectors, 650cc or bigger, or get yours decapped by lateral performance

Consider a meth map too (switchable can be done on the OEM ecu)

Hope this helps, I have a thread on here that you might be interested in as im going down a similar route myself (again lol)

Regards
Rob
As said in my post on the STI stock INTERNALS any thing (OVER) 400bhp is not safe in my opinion even at 400 MAX unless it’s a had a really good remap.

So what you lads are saying that it will lost the same life as stock power ? It’s hard to beleave as a daily run car nothing would go wrong. How much mileage have you guys pulled out since the upgrades or are theses mostly for track use.

I have don some build on new age sti models and its always been piston 3 ringland or the cyinder head bores on 1 and 3 side head. Some of them show signs of bad service no oil change on time some of the aftermarket oil filters i have acutely cut one up and it was gunged up.

Sti internals are still alot better then the wrx models.

Wrx models a daily thing for me. with boost problems bigger turbos on them and stock injectors and have detonation because of fuel problems piston 3 again. Some of them we had in customer thinking the engine is gone but the shims have flied out at high rpm some of them haven’t been mapped , alot of diff go on them a lot of them are running high bhp but transmitions have gone and so on.

I have just had 2007 2.5 wrx its been in some garage had the head gaskets don due to over heating problems and now doesn’t go over 3000rpm don a compression test when on warmed up figers are 105, 105, 117, 123. Don a down leak test outlet valves are leaking air i got a good idea whats wrong with it but will only find out later today when its stripped down.

Am just learning and sharing daily experience and knowledge from last 30

years in our days we use to have the good old v8’s whatever happened to the muscle cars.

Am new on the forum here as i mentioned in one of my other posts some lads who came for some parts recommended the forum. I currently have a workshop where i only do impreza models from breaking to diagnosing; the second workshop is where all the jig work and painting is carried out. I all so do all model new panels for all model in the third warehouse. and the forth and finel workshop is where i manufacture body upgrades in grp for Porsches, db,range rovers, evos, and this month started covering impreza models doing the uk 300 pro drive kit rear spoilers, spats, front lips, sill spats, sti lips, scoops, got my hands on a p1 rear spoiler as well.all the stuff is moulded from genuine parts. Still trying to figure out how to put pictures on here.

Last edited by underground.scoobys; 28 May 2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 28 May 2012, 08:03 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

underground.scoobys - Sounds like you have an interesting organisation, just watch what you post reference breaking etc, as “Triple Filtered” will be on your back and request Authorised Traders Status (personal joke)

The Stock "newage" STI internals are probably stronger than what most people think, Ok there will be some bad eggs out there, whether it be a bad map, already failing or high mileage engine, or just inferior parts used to get the power.

However I wont mention any names, but I know of a car that was being mapped that spun a shell upon mapping, and this was not the mappers fault, basically the driver (open source) was informed how to drive the car for each stage of the map, but he clearly didn’t know where the redline/fuel cut was and constantly let it bounce off the rev limiter causing the said damage. The mapper was horrified, and told him constantly to stop doing this prior to the event, yet even during mapping he kept doing it, the mapper asked why and he said he liked the noise!

I ran a 2.0 standard MY02 STI engine on 20% Meth for 5’000 miles before breaking the car for parts, and the car wasn’t broke for any other reason than I had fallen out with it, and upon selling the engine 1 stripped it down (heads sold separately to the short motor) to find that there was “no” signs of wear on the bores, and the cylinder heads had only minor cracking around the spark plugs, but then this is common on pretty much all AVCS heads.

I think the long and short of it is, is that if the engine is supported correctly, maintained, ran properly, mapped right, and mollycoddld, there should be no issues in getting a newage STI lump to 450bhp. 400bhp is a doddle, but that extra 50bhp is a little harder (more expensive) and once you start going down that route you may as well ensure that its done right, and that’s where the engine builders come in, API & Enginetuner being two that spring to mind. Don’t get me wrong if you want 450bhp and the peace of mind to know that it’s technically bullet proof you would go forged using the two above, but we all don’t have £3500+, although if I did then I would sure go 2.1…… hmmm wheres my Visa!

As for WRX engine, lets just say the cast pistons probably wont like anything over 350bhp, ok some will have seen more, but I’ve never heard of any getting anywhere close to 400bhp without failure

Rob
Old 28 May 2012, 09:44 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the long and short of it is, is that if the engine is supported correctly, maintained, ran properly, mapped right, and mollycoddld, there should be no issues in getting a newage STI lump to 450bhp. 400bhp is a doddle, but that extra 50bhp is a little harder

Rob
Exactly this, the way the car is treated and maintained is a huge part of it.
Even a well built poorly maintained and abused car will fail remember.
Old 28 May 2012, 10:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If it were mine, I'd go for one of Harvey's trick up-pipes first, then maybe get the map tweaked again.
Old 28 May 2012, 03:47 PM
Billy 3
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same boat,STI PPP 05 around 340/340 with a few mods.
I am more than happy with the power and don't think that i am going
any further with the car.You can get caught up in chasing power/numbers
and it all cost money,of which you will be lucky to see much of it
back if you ever decide to sell.I would say just keep it well maintained
and enjoy it.
Old 29 May 2012, 03:00 AM
underground.scoobys
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like your right about the mapping part Rob as some of the upgrades i seen on the wrx new age they don’t make sense.

I had one WRX come in with the TD06 with stock injectors the chap said he bought it re mapped to 370 bhp no print out. And the reason it was in because the turbo is coming in late what a joke when I drove the car it was like a duck I explained that the TD06 spools late and he didn’t have enough boost or right mods or a remap to push the turbo he wouldn’t beleave me.

So to save time I took him for a spin in my bugeye ppp he couldn’t beleave it when i told him it was only running 276 horses.

And then the? came out what would over 400 horses feel like i took him for a spin in a JDM twin scroll turbo running 450 horses he all most wet the seat.

ended up putting a TDO4 with the remap ecu i had and he was more than happy.

He got ripped off because the person he bought it of said he had it mapped.
And i don’t think any mapper is silly enough to remap a car when the fuel mods are not up to standard.

Who is a trusted mapper near Birmingham that people have used and are happy with might be worth recommending him to customers.

BASH FROM UNDERGROUND SCOOBYS.

Last edited by underground.scoobys; 29 May 2012 at 03:04 AM.