Sponsored by:

Is it worth doing?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2012, 04:54 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth doing?

Just wanted to put an idea out there and see if people have done or may still be doing it and what the best way to go about it is. I have owned an impreza before, and once it was gone I missed it alot! I know drive a standard VW golf, nothing fancy... But what I really want is another impreza! I got rid of it before because the drive to work everyday (30 miles, non stop bloody traffic!!) was costing too much etc.. Blah blah.
I wanted to know if anyone has an impreza as a second/weekend type car that they use instead of a daily driver?! If so, how do you go about the insurance side of it, is there any type of cover that allows you to do this without paying a high premium, seeing as you still have the daily run around to drive? in an ideal world, I want to put the impreza in my garage and take it out now and then... Or am I in la la land, and this will cost just as much?!
Old 20 May 2012, 06:17 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by irondrew
Just wanted to put an idea out there and see if people have done or may still be doing it and what the best way to go about it is. I have owned an impreza before, and once it was gone I missed it alot! I know drive a standard VW golf, nothing fancy... But what I really want is another impreza! I got rid of it before because the drive to work everyday (30 miles, non stop bloody traffic!!) was costing too much etc.. Blah blah.
I wanted to know if anyone has an impreza as a second/weekend type car that they use instead of a daily driver?! If so, how do you go about the insurance side of it, is there any type of cover that allows you to do this without paying a high premium, seeing as you still have the daily run around to drive? in an ideal world, I want to put the impreza in my garage and take it out now and then... Or am I in la la land, and this will cost just as much?!
Limited mileage policy for the Scoob and currently a KA as the daily hack. Loads of owners on here do it, so not la la land.
Old 20 May 2012, 06:24 PM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

I do this, got totally fed up running performance cars as my daily drives.

Now got a 2002 Diesel Toyota Yaris, 70mpg, £30 a year tax and £200 to insure.

I'm with Admiral multicar, they can 'mirror' some of your NCD so you can have some on both cars, i had 7 years NCD and they mirrored 2 onto my Yaris so thats cheap as chips to insure. Then whack a low millage on the scooby and it brought my premium down about £300 as its no longer my main car, 4k miles per year or something and jobs a good un

So overall i'm saving money hand over fist as my overall insurance bill is now 100quid a year cheaper! not to mention the petrol and maintence costs of running a car like a scoob daily.
Old 20 May 2012, 06:59 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sovietspybob
I do this, got totally fed up running performance cars as my daily drives.

Now got a 2002 Diesel Toyota Yaris, 70mpg, £30 a year tax and £200 to insure.

I'm with Admiral multicar, they can 'mirror' some of your NCD so you can have some on both cars, i had 7 years NCD and they mirrored 2 onto my Yaris so thats cheap as chips to insure. Then whack a low millage on the scooby and it brought my premium down about £300 as its no longer my main car, 4k miles per year or something and jobs a good un

So overall i'm saving money hand over fist as my overall insurance bill is now 100quid a year cheaper! not to mention the petrol and maintence costs of running a car like a scoob daily.
So happy to read this..... Thanks!! Didn't know you could do that! I have 7 years NCB and I'm 28 so hopefully will be same for me. FLAT 4 HERE I COME!! Lol
Old 20 May 2012, 07:05 PM
Essexdon
Scooby Regular

Have a 1.7 Puma, great fun little car and about 450 for the year.
Old 20 May 2012, 07:27 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

I have had 2 cars for seven years on different policy's ,just don't loose the proof on no claims I have 7 on my Scooby and seven on my 306 so cheap motoring for me and no limited mileage either
Old 20 May 2012, 08:12 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Well happy thanks for replies....
Old 20 May 2012, 08:38 PM
jf_wrx_2004
Scooby Regular

Yer got a 2006 corsa 1.3cdti does 225 miles to £20 which a tad better than the sti
Old 20 May 2012, 08:53 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jf_wrx_2004
Yer got a 2006 corsa 1.3cdti does 225 miles to £20 which a tad better than the sti
Only a tad..... ;-)
Old 20 May 2012, 10:25 PM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

My other is a Saxo vtr that misses and me now share. It's 40mpg, not a huge amount to insure. I don't particularly like or manage to if in it as I'm a lump but it's good for the 3 mile a day commute. If I'm out in a client meeting I may take the scoob so I turn up in a slightly better chav car. It's working well though and Saving some fuel for me. Prob do between 30 and a 150 mile a week, just depend if I can be bothered to take it out.
Old 20 May 2012, 11:39 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i did have a second car but scrapped it now need another one, hoping i can get a decent price on whichever hack i get but last time i tried it was a joke for insurance, £100 cheaper than the scoob, still dont understand why you cant use your ncb on another policy , its not like you can drive both cars at the same time, can you???

hoping keith michaels can sort me out, was with different insurance co. b4 but that price they gave me was supposedly using the "mirror" policy
Old 21 May 2012, 08:46 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Hi Irondrew,

Quite a few people take the route of running an everyday car for the commute and keeping their performance car for pleasure/weekend use.

It keeps the fuel costs down along with reducing the wear and tear upon the pleasure/favoured car. With the balance of the two cars it can also make you appreciate the capabilities of the performance car more.

From an Insurance perspective, it's pretty much as the guys here have already eluded and you have options.

If your record is clear of non-recoverable/at-fault claims in recent years (last 3-5) you'll find that there are companies that can 'mirror' your NCB percentage to the 2nd car.

We would usually suggest using the NCB upon the highest rated vehicle (ie. the performance vehicle), as there are far more companies willing to cover the everyday car than the performance car. Meaning that you will have access to more options when it comes to the mirror of NCB.

It would probably be worth getting some quotations upon the proposed Subaru Impreza using your NCB, which would be a good starting point.

Bearing in mind this is a 2nd car, try to think realistically about the annual mileage required for the Subaru. As limiting the mileage will also reduce the cost of Insuring the Subaru, on the basis that you're limiting the exposure of the Insurer covering the vehicle.

You could then either speak with your existing Insurer of the Golf to ask if they would allow removal of your NCB to be replaced with a 'mirror' introductory discount under the existing policy (on the basis that they already know your record).

If they're not willing/able to do so you would then need to look at sourcing quotations for the Golf without NCB, but by explaining that you have NCB in use upon another vehicle - asking if they have a mirrored NCB policy (which most do these days).

This will then give you an indication as to whether it's feasible before you start the search for your next Subaru

Kind regards

Tony

Originally Posted by irondrew