ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

ANTI GATSO PLATES

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2001, 10:52 PM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone know a supplier of Anti Gatso Kit for number plates, sold under the name of "PROTECTOR" and manufactured by "ON TRACK"

See report at
Old 10 April 2001, 11:18 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

I thought that all of these so called anti-GATSO plates/coatings etc. didn't actually work properly.
Old 10 April 2001, 11:23 PM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Yeah know wot u mean, but read the report and draw yr own conclusions, I`m prepared to give it a try, guess anything that gives u a chance is worth a try
SCOOP
Old 10 April 2001, 11:25 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Dont even think about it - might as well burn money
Old 11 April 2001, 12:45 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Remember, if you are testing an Anti-Gato plate, you have to stand on a ladder and to the left & right of the car when you photograph it. Kneeling on the floor with a camera & a flashgun isn't a good test as that's not how the real cameras work.

As pointed out, the police will use image-enhancing techniques (similar to the ones that are outlawed in any other sort of criminal investigation because they involve tampering with the evidence) that are very sophisticated and very effective.

If you really want to muck around with your numberplates, there's a much simpler solution. Find another Subaru Impreza of the same model, year and colour as yours. Copy down their registration. Have a set of plates made. Fit them to your car. Hey presto, months of not worrying about Gatsos!
Old 11 April 2001, 12:58 AM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Question

Am I correct in assuming these plates are illegal, so not only do you get your speeding points and fine, you could also get a little extra financial penalty and /or points for the illegal plates ??
Old 11 April 2001, 01:26 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I always assumed these were rubbish but I recently took photographs of my car after waxing it (including number plates.) Whilst the rest of the pictures were well exposed you could barely read the no. plates so perhaps there is some truth behind it.
Old 11 April 2001, 02:42 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boost II,

The police use imaging techniques which pretty much guarantee that they can read the numbers on your plates. Your camera/editing software won't give the same results, so don't rely on it as a test.

I've done some IT work at Police College's and the traffic blokes are always pi$$ing themselves at these so-called anti-gatso plates. Trust me they haven't found any that work.

I can't understand why people want to avoid them anyway. If your speeding, then you deserve to be caught. I've been caught before and paid the price in loads of points, heavy fines and large insurance premiums. But at the end of the day, it was my fault and I took the punishment on the chin.

Sorry SCOOP, but if you want to cheat the system, then go ahead, but I hope you get your just deserts.

Stefan

PS. Take a moment to read the traffic officers comments at the bottom of the Hot to Avoid Getting a Ticket page
Old 11 April 2001, 08:06 AM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ozzy M8,
Just wanna minimize the risks thats all, but if yr content to keep paying the fines and taking the points thats yr choice.
Cheers
SCOOP
Old 11 April 2001, 09:22 AM
wacko
Scooby Regular

A friend that worked with the Police said that none of these reflective plate type things work..... but hey you pays ya money, you takes your chance.
Old 11 April 2001, 09:28 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Question

On a related point, surely if they are having to use imaging software to 'guess' what the plate is then that becomes inadmissable evidence?

If not why not?
Old 11 April 2001, 09:36 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Good point Robertio!! and also its unlikely that the Pigs would go round telling everyone that these things work otherwise everyone would just go and buy one!! and 'Hey Presto' no more money!! IMHO of course!!
Old 11 April 2001, 09:48 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Scoop, sorry to pi55 on your bonfire M8, but the police use the negative of the picture when people use these plates. I've seen a few plates where the print is difficult to read. Robertio is correct in that the police can't use image enhancment software to get the number, but using the original negative shows up the number as clear as day every time.
Old 11 April 2001, 09:51 AM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Angry

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD THEN HUH
Cheers
SCOOP
Old 11 April 2001, 01:14 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Talking

Blue,

I would imagine that if you were caught speeding with your anti-gatso plates on then you would not get a fine for using anti-gatso plates because they obviously would not be anti-gatso...........?????

I am afraid the best way of avoiding Gatso's is to obey the law, besides, in most cases its not as if you can't see them coming or there is no warning
Old 11 April 2001, 01:18 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Maxwell, can I recommend a trip up the A9 from Perth to Inverness, unless you can see through signs the only warning you get is when you see the white lines on the road by which time it could well be too late.

Hence my speed camera detector.
Old 11 April 2001, 02:24 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Its amazing how many self righteous punters ooze out of the woodwork when speeding is mentioned.
Next time I see a scooby in the outside lane doing 70 on the M-Way I'll know its one of the well your speeding so take what you get brigade.

Cammy

PS yes you can get your flat cap and leave.
Old 11 April 2001, 02:46 PM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Smile

CHEERS CAMK,
I was begining to think that I was the only person around who had bought an Impreza because I like driving fast !!!
SCOOP
Old 11 April 2001, 02:49 PM
Adan
Scooby Regular

Making number plates that can not be photographed by any gantry based or raised camera would be child's play. The technology currently exists and is used by cash dispenser monitors to stop bystanders from seeing your details on the screen.

All you have to do is create a screen that only lets light pass through it perpendicular to the film. Some LCD monitors "suffer" from this "problem" as they can not be read at a wide angle.

I read somewhere on the net that this technology was already being employed for anti gatso plates. Be in no doubt that they would work!

However all this is academic. If you were using such plates, anyone stood over your car looking down on the plate would also not be able to read the number. Maybe even the occupants of a van or lorry if it was close enough behind you.

It is also my understanding that attempting to pervert the course of justice will get you more than just some points a six month ban and a fine.

At the end of the day its your call.....
Old 11 April 2001, 03:07 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Fitting a dodgy number plate is not perverting the course of justice, how can it be, its something to do with a Non Standard Numberplate, a warning or small fine. See Motorcyclist with small plates for details.
I don't see how these things could work anyway for the reason someone said earlier, a camera works similar to the eye its just accepts in light then alters film to an image of that light. To make them work you'd have to make them so they couldn't see them with the naked eye either, may as well just take off your plates, and how long would you last with no plates.

Cammy
Old 11 April 2001, 04:30 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

Surround your number plate in electric eels from the Sargossa sea. They live right at the bottom of the ocean and never see any light. When they are frightened they emit a hugh pulse of electrical energy which make them "light up." My theory is that the flash from the Gatso will scare them, the will light up and the film will be over exposed, saving you another speeding ticket. Sorted

p.s. Scoop. If I where being totally honest I have probably had the scoob one or two miles over the limit on the odd occasion or six

Old 11 April 2001, 06:23 PM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nice one FAST BLOKE lol gotta be the best reply so far,
Cheers
SCOOP
Old 11 April 2001, 06:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Save your money - go into the garden - grab some wet mud - easy at the moment - and splat it on ONE of the digits - SORTED

The summons MUST state the correct plate number and no enhancement of the photo is admissible - home and dry

Fine for a dirty numberplate?? dont know but I Do know it will be less than a speeding and I dont think it carries points?? and if you are pulled over, smile, grovel, wipe it off and you will be ok

Pete
Old 11 April 2001, 06:48 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Very amusing banter RE the Gatso-resistant plates etc......
Debate as much as you like - just like the 6 week NIP rule -> but you are all splitting hairs over what is/should be etc... The final decision is with the Judge & if he so suits he can override everything - forget what is printed 'as gospel' etc.....
They *dont* work, and if they required enhancement 'cos they were - then your just opening yourself up for another charge & *another* heavy fine........
Let it lie for christ's sake - just be careful with the speed limits !!!......

Gastro

PS - 'flashback' is a light sensitive set of flashguns that fix by the sides of your number plate - originally designed for the famous to stop the paparazzo to avoid their exclusive number plates being photographed ---> but they are definitely illegal - forget that option too.....
Old 11 April 2001, 06:54 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Oh....... and Camk - get real - some people hear are trying to save other people money !!!
Everyone speeds (to different degrees ) etc, but putting a set of plates that are intended to avoid getting caught is just asking for *big* trouble....more so in the UK than ever...Its Ok for you with the long autobahns

Gastro
Old 11 April 2001, 07:03 PM
sheepie_shagger
Scooby Newbie

this is guarenteed to work
remove number plates
costs next to nothing except for screwdriver/2 mins work
Old 11 April 2001, 07:09 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Sheepie........
The most sensible post on this topic so far ........ Great !

Gastro
Old 11 April 2001, 07:24 PM
lcha
Scooby Regular

Remember James Bond his aston had a plate that flipped up so he could use the machine guns fitted to the car. Shall I develop flip number plates and charge a fortune for them.

Lee
Old 11 April 2001, 07:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

Hey sheepy ******* are you who I think you are??????????

Pete
Old 11 April 2001, 08:05 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

Reg 11(2) of The Road Vehicles Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 says:

"A registration plate must not be treated in any other way which renders the characters of the registration mark less easily distinguishable to the eye or which would prevent or impair the making of a true photographic image of the plate through the medium of camera and film or any other device."

Penalty for contravention is a level 3 fine (up to £1K) but no points as far as I can see. Not sure I would call a grand a small fine!

Quick Reply: ANTI GATSO PLATES