Sponsored by:

decisions,decisions

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2012, 06:49 PM
refoman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decisions,decisions

hi guys,wonder if you can help me decide what to do.

ive got a 52 reg WRX which is pretty standard and im toying with the idea of taking it to Scooby-clinic for a bit of a boost to 280bhp. price wise for me isnt a problem but im seriously toying with the idea of rather than doing that,selling the WRX and putting the money i get for that and what i would spend at Scoobyclinic towards an STI

what do you think?

the only bonus of my WRX is that it looks bog standard and i wasnt planning on altering the looks,just wanted the extra grunt and maybe uprate the brakes at the same time whereas an STI is a bit in your face if you get what i mean lol
Old 02 May 2012, 07:00 PM
Scott@ScoobySpares
Formerly ScoobyTeknix

get rid get an sti, sell the spoiler and bonnet scoop replace with standard wrx job done cheaper easier way also you have the ability to go over 400 bhp on the engine and box a wrx will blow its self to bit well before its gets to that, you can get a clean 2002 prodrive sti for around 5k-5.5k

scott...
Old 02 May 2012, 07:18 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

Well at the moment prices are low due to well basically fuel prices, these cars don't give good mpg to start with so u might not get what ur hoping for due to the fact it's in standard form, although u would think an untouched car is worth more, but there not really, I would stick with what u have, u know ur car well u trust it, 280bhp is not a million miles away for ur car, a nice exhaust panel filter, re-map and up the boost and you there, even stick a front mount on it if u like the mapping will sort it out
Old 02 May 2012, 07:20 PM
peterhum
Scooby Newbie

Kind of agree with that- but depends how far you want to go.

I accidentally broke (OK,barrell-rolled) my beloved 2.0 WRX newage that had been to Powerstation for their 270BHP treatment.

With the money from the nice insurance man (!) I coppered up and bought one of the last Hawkeye 2.5 STi's to cheer myself up- partly on the basis that the old 'un had saved my life- strongest standard car I've ever encountered even when rolled, spun on the roof, & flipped back over.

Whilst the STi was obviously more powerful, it wasn't actually as responsive in 'everyday' driving as Powerstation's take on the 2.0. If you sat at 4k+ revs waiting for a gap, fine, but in the gear you came up behind someone, it was flat by comparison.

The 6 speed is nice, strong, and quieter for motorway drudge though- especially with a louder pipe. Personally, I can take or leave all the pink bits. Ride ain't much different given I'd had an anti-lift kit & uprated ARBs/droplinks on the WRX. I think high speed stability is better on the STi- though only at speeds that could get you locked up on a UK road. The fancy power split and better rear diff is handy for caning it on loose surfaces or in the snow.I couldn't find a type D so I've now got a damned great picnic tray blocking the rear mirror, too. Right where you want to look at the roofline of following white Volvos...

Once you've driven well re-mapped wrx you'll like it. But will you want more? If so you need to get an STi.

Me? I took the STi back to Rich for the 340 Brake treatment. love it to bits now but thirsty as a ba****d- uses way more juice then the 2.0 did. AND it's a 2.5 so any more power is going to need serious money- better to start with a decent 2.0.

Far more people 'see me coming' now, too- so you need the extra power to avoid the wildly-swerving Saxo kiddies...

If I'd have sat down & planned it, i wouldn't be starting from here...
Old 02 May 2012, 08:13 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Spec D.
Old 02 May 2012, 08:15 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or a Jap A-Line

Shaun
Old 02 May 2012, 10:03 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Or a Jap A-Line

Shaun
You got one for sale?
Old 02 May 2012, 10:15 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Of course a remapped Wrx is gonna be more responsive than a standard sti
Old 03 May 2012, 10:40 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kind of where i'm at although i didn't have the choice of an sti as i wanted a wagon.

Most on here bang on about sti's being the holly grail, which for modding they are to a certain degree, but not everyone wants to drive around in a tarts handbag with an ironing board on the boot.
Blue seats, carpets and door cards do my sweed, i much prefer the black interior of a wrx too and the 5 speed box.

A remapped wrx is a lovely car and stick some better pads and discs on and they work just fine up to 300bhp for the odd blast that most do.

Sti's are great if your into modding and like the odd trackday, don't do loads of miles, but for the less in your face daily driver/ odd weekend blast mapped wrx with a few handling mods wins.
Old 03 May 2012, 01:35 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Aimed at Ditch...

Classic STi wagon, or they did a bug-eyed STi wagon didn't they?
Old 03 May 2012, 01:46 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Kind of where i'm at although i didn't have the choice of an sti as i wanted a wagon.

Most on here bang on about sti's being the holly grail, which for modding they are to a certain degree, but not everyone wants to drive around in a tarts handbag with an ironing board on the boot.
Blue seats, carpets and door cards do my sweed, i much prefer the black interior of a wrx too and the 5 speed box.

A remapped wrx is a lovely car and stick some better pads and discs on and they work just fine up to 300bhp for the odd blast that most do.

Sti's are great if your into modding and like the odd trackday, don't do loads of miles, but for the less in your face daily driver/ odd weekend blast mapped wrx with a few handling mods wins.

Would you of had the WRX if an STI wagon was available at the time ?
Old 03 May 2012, 02:59 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Already have a classic type r, and don't want a classic wagon, and not a fan of bugs, but i probably would have one of the better looking ones, but the sti wagons are rare as hens teeth and getting on a bit for my liking.

As for matts question, in 04 when i bought my 1st blob wrx new, i could of had the sti then and didn't because it was for work and i was doing circa 3k miles a month and the suspension and the blue interior put me off,as well as turning up at customers houses looking like a bit of a boy racer, and the black blob looked classy back then, and not so many people knew what it was as the shape was pretty new.

But that said if there was an sti blob wagon i would probably have one, but a spec d version, but i'd also imagine it would cost almost double what i paid for my ppp wagon, so it's kind of a tricky one to answer, and i know a lot more about them now as well as being able to build my own engine, but thats classic ownership for you.

I'm very happy with the wagon and it has the AP 4 pots so can out brake a lot of cars, and with the few planned suspension mods i have it should out handle a lot of things as well, and it already feels a lot more planted than my type r, but that was bought for different reasons at a different time of life, so it really does depend what a person wants the car for, and what they intend to do with it in the future.

I might fit the type r box with a uk 5th and have dccd, fit a slightly bigger turbo and run the wagon like that for a while and have the best of all worlds, as i decided to keep the type r and make a project of it in a few years when i have more time and cash.
Old 03 May 2012, 03:10 PM
johnnybon
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi mate pm me I have initalD old car which has a brand new API engine in it which cost him nearly £4000 the build thread is on here. I have sorted a couple of bits out and it's a very nice bug fast as well and handles well I will sell it for the right money as I have 3 scoobys and 1 has to go so if you are interested pm me thanks John

Last edited by johnnybon; 03 May 2012 at 03:12 PM.