rayner91
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default impreza sport wagon

Hi
First post so sorry for anything :-)

I'm looking at the impreza wagon non turbo 2.0 Ltr
I just don't know which one to go for.
I really love the looks of the older shape up to 2002 I think? But can't find any with less than about 80000 on
the clock, (for obvious reasons) I'm slowly growing keener of the bug eye but need to change cars this summer as mine is on its way out. So now I'll get to the point... is there a lot of difference in the pre/post 2002 models or is it just looks? Also is the high mileage a big problem for imprezas if it has a good service history?
My budget is somewhere between 2-2500 is this a reasonable figure?

Any help would be great :-)
thanks
Ben

Last edited by rayner91; 30 April 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 30 April 2012, 02:31 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Ben, don't bother with a non-turbo; high running costs for no reward. At the very least go drive one and then go have a drive in something like a Clio 182. Good luck
Old 30 April 2012, 04:07 PM
rayner91
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by trails
Ben, don't bother with a non-turbo; high running costs for no reward. At the very least go drive one and then go have a drive in something like a Clio 182. Good luck
Sorry should of explained why I want 1. I need AWD for regular steep grassy fields. A legacy was my first choice but they are too long for where I have to park.
Ive been driving 4x4s for the last 4 years but don't need 1anymore.
I'm not looking for a performance car (yet!) But love the looks of the impreza and also want something a bit different. Im not keen on the forester's by the way.
Cheers
Old 30 April 2012, 05:53 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

If your gonna be driving it up steep grassy fields don't buy an impreza although the history is rally and they were sold alongside farm machinery there just road cars with 4wd, get ya self a ranger rover, with diff locks there built and designed to do that exact job a non turbo impreza is a waste on fields lol
Old 30 April 2012, 06:06 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rayner91
Sorry should of explained why I want 1. I need AWD for regular steep grassy fields. A legacy was my first choice but they are too long for where I have to park.
Ive been driving 4x4s for the last 4 years but don't need 1anymore.
I'm not looking for a performance car (yet!) But love the looks of the impreza and also want something a bit different. Im not keen on the forester's by the way.
Cheers
Non turbo Impreza only just has enough power to pull itself along on a flat piece of road let alone up a steep grassy incline

Let battle commence
Old 30 April 2012, 06:19 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Really dont get the anti sport sentiment on here, I run a 2002 bug at 450 on a forged 2.5 and have a std 2.0 classic sport wagon as a daily hack (officially the wife's).

The wagons a great car, a to b there's not much in it, on a normal journey I'd be a matter of a minute or so quicker in the turbo, ok different matter on track but the worlds not a track is it?

As for off road performance I do a lot of towing in ours including launching a 5.5m rib on steep and slippery slipways, the turbo would struggle with this due to the nature of the power delivery and also the lack of a low range on the box. Same characteristics as needed for grassy fields, but you'll need to think carefully about tyre choices.

I wouldn't go for a 'classic' although ours is (budget at the time) as you are unlikely to find one with A/C and the interior is not as nice. Best buy is probably a bugeye.
Old 30 April 2012, 06:27 PM
rayner91
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Non turbo Impreza only just has enough power to pull itself along on a flat piece of road let alone up a steep grassy incline

Let battle commence
I was expecting some of this after searching through previous threads. thanks for the input
Old 30 April 2012, 06:33 PM
rayner91
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
Really dont get the anti sport sentiment on here, I run a 2002 bug at 450 on a forged 2.5 and have a std 2.0 classic sport wagon as a daily hack (officially the wife's).

The wagons a great car, a to b there's not much in it, on a normal journey I'd be a matter of a minute or so quicker in the turbo, ok different matter on track but the worlds not a track is it?

As for off road performance I do a lot of towing in ours including launching a 5.5m rib on steep and slippery slipways, the turbo would struggle with this due to the nature of the power delivery and also the lack of a low range on the box. Same characteristics as needed for grassy fields, but you'll need to think carefully about tyre choices.

I wouldn't go for a 'classic' although ours is (budget at the time) as you are unlikely to find one with A/C and the interior is not as nice. Best buy is probably a bugeye.
Thanks, didn't realise they had a low range box as well hmmm...
By launching a rib i assume you are a fellow diver? Although I am often wrong How well does it handle launching a rib by the way?
Old 30 April 2012, 06:49 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Not a diver but a powerboat trainer! Tows the rib fine (braked trailer) had no issues launching on concrete slips, even with an alge coating, only problem is the ground clearance is only normal car height and one of the slips I use (Littlehampton) has a very steep gradient change and the trailer can ground as you go over if you don't know what you are doing. Really nice and easy to pull the boat out in 1st with the low range selected.

For info the boat is a 5.5m Ribeye Playtime with a 100hp Yamaha and weighs in at Just over a metric tonne (dry)
Old 30 April 2012, 06:52 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983

Let battle commence

Indeed ......................
Old 30 April 2012, 07:00 PM
rayner91
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
Not a diver but a powerboat trainer! Tows the rib fine (braked trailer) had no issues launching on concrete slips, even with an alge coating, only problem is the ground clearance is only normal car height and one of the slips I use (Littlehampton) has a very steep gradient change and the trailer can ground as you go over if you don't know what you are doing. Really nice and easy to pull the boat out in 1st with the low range selected.

For info the boat is a 5.5m Ribeye Playtime with a 100hp Yamaha and weighs in at Just over a metric tonne (dry)
Very often wrong then! Interesting job you have
alge is extremely slippery so i can't see it being a problem until deep winter maybe. Thanks for the help A/C is defo a bonus and i suppose newer is generally better in terms of reliability. Just out of interest what sort of mpg are you averaging out of the sport? Not that its an issue for me as i'm used to low 20s out of my truck.

Thanks
Old 30 April 2012, 07:26 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

We get about 250 from a tank, I think it's 45l I try not to look these days!
Old 01 May 2012, 02:30 PM
lee67
Scooby Regular

dont listen to the anti sport owners...i have a blobeye one, plenty fast enough for todays roads..i average 28 mpg...as for mileage mines now on 85000 and runs as sweet as a nut