Newbie from the Dark Side...

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2012, 10:46 PM
DarthTed
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie from the Dark Side...

Hi all,

After the demise of my evo V 18 months ago (stop laughing!), Im in a position to get back into owning a half decent motor.

Ive always liked scoobs, and its an itch Im very tempted to scratch. However, the only model I would consider is a P1, since the 22b is way out of my price range, and from what Ive researched Im not too keen on the DCCD in an sti type r- and the only 4 door car Ill ever have is an evo!

Whats really putting me off is that the engine seems to be fragile, which I gather to be a combination of a poor base map coupled with normal unleaded petrol causing det and destroying the bottom end (please correct me if Im wrong).

Now theres a P1 for sale in the ads on here which appears to be just what Im looking for, in so far as its been tuned to stage 1 which is what I plan to do, but there seems to be a lot of rust on various bolts/pulleys etc under the bonnet and the guys put different tyres on front and rear axels (had this on an evo 4 I owned and it made the handling downright dangerous in the wet) and its got meth injection.

Is that sort of rust anything to worry about, and is meth ok on a stock lump?

Also,

What sort of power can a stock engine handle, and what boost?

Is there anything out of the ordinary I should check on a potential buy?

Who would you recommend for servicing around the Windsor area (have heard good things about eurospec- any good?).

Thats about all I can think of for now- sorry for the waffle but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ted
Old 28 April 2012, 11:11 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Why are you not keen on DCCD?
Old 28 April 2012, 11:45 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

first off welcome to the site glad to see you,ve seen sense and ditched the evo,s the engines are said to be safe as you put it when tuned to around 340 bhp on standard internals as long as its been mapped properly and serviced regularly (im sure someone will have other figures in mind but most scooby owners i know say 340 to 350) the p1 is one of my favourites of the breed and the classic shape is defo the best as for rusty looking bolts lots of them have these just get one with lots of history and proof that everythings been done proffesionally
Old 29 April 2012, 01:55 AM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Well I come from owning a evo 6 I did own a scoob before the evo though, and after 3 yes 3 forged engines in the evo I called it a day and come back to my roots, iv brought a fresh sti classic I'm just going keep it standard ish, got a front mount intercooler and gt spec headers/up pipe and a walbro pump, next thing im getting is a ecu prob a esl daughter board these are 525 fitted and mapped, this will then give you a lot more control over the map or fueling n timing and hopefully keep it safe.
I'd say if you run a sti from what iv read and from my prev sti around 340-350 1.2-1.4 bar boost everything will be ok my old sti ran 340 for 2 years never missed a beat just hope I'm as lucky with this 1
Old 29 April 2012, 02:41 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

why would you want ABS over DCCD ?
Old 29 April 2012, 07:17 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly welcome.
There is another option rather than a P1, how about a WRX Type R rather than the STi. That has ABS and no DCCD, but as others have asked; why? Is it because coming from a car that drives itself you're worried about your ability to drive a DCCD car? If so, take is carefully and get used to it and you should be fine.
Engines should be fine as long as they're taken care of. I'm running around 370bhp on a version 4 and it's been okay. If you're looking at big power I'd also be worried about the gearbox too!
Old 29 April 2012, 07:51 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Firstly welcome.
There is another option rather than a P1, how about a WRX Type R rather than the STi. That has ABS and no DCCD, but as others have asked; why? Is it because coming from a car that drives itself you're worried about your ability to drive a DCCD car? If so, take is carefully and get used to it and you should be fine.
Engines should be fine as long as they're taken care of. I'm running around 370bhp on a version 4 and it's been okay. If you're looking at big power I'd also be worried about the gearbox too!
I thought the P1 was ABS, Type R DCCD?
Old 29 April 2012, 10:31 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

craigo, gpssti4
The answer to your question

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...d-driving.html
Old 29 April 2012, 10:33 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

DarthTed

Personaly I think 320 is a safe place to be on standard internals.
I would look for an enthuiast owned P1 that has had an engine rebuilt by a respected outfit
Old 29 April 2012, 11:16 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I wouldn't choose a specific car because it had DCCD but then I wouldn't not buy the right car because it had DCCD either.
It's a gimmic really and let's be honest, who actually uses it ??? But if the perfect car came up and it had DCCD then don't let it put you off.
Old 29 April 2012, 11:19 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
craigo, gpssti4
The answer to your question

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...d-driving.html
Great thread that, thanks

P1 i had with ABS saved my *** more than once. as i read it though dccd for the track if set up correctly will be quicker and without ABS can brake at least as well.
Old 29 April 2012, 11:22 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
I wouldn't choose a specific car because it had DCCD but then I wouldn't not buy the right car because it had DCCD either.
It's a gimmic really and let's be honest, who actually uses it ??? But if the perfect car came up and it had DCCD then don't let it put you off.
i use my dccd often matty. only because less chance of me having it off the road in the wet...
Old 02 May 2012, 06:52 PM
DarthTed
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies chaps- some useful information there.

Regarding the DCCD, my reticence stems from it being something else to go wrong, and I dont really like the idea of having to fiddle with it depending on what the weathers doing (mainly because being the idiot I am Ill forget about it and leave it full open when its wet and reap the disasterous consequences!).

Having said that, if the right Type R came along I wouldnt dismiss it.

I shall carry on the search and keep you updated.

Thanks again,

Ted