Shell V Power

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2012, 12:53 PM
jeffmoses
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shell V Power

Hi,

Actually filled tank with V Power for the first time earlier today (used to use BP Ultimate) and there is a very noticeable difference.

The suspicious me thinks BP Ultimate (97 octane) are getting tight and not putting the correct about of additives etc in so the car is not liking recently.

Other thoughts are the car is really made to be running on higher than 97 anyway.

Anyway just thought I would say that my Scooby likes its new drink

All the best,

Jeff
Old 22 April 2012, 01:08 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

BP Ultimate is the worst!!! That is why
Old 22 April 2012, 01:26 PM
Masswithclass
Scooby Regular

Jeff

I have always been told to stop away from BP Ultimate. I'm sure Bob Rawle states on this website that it is not suited to the Subaru engine. Stick with the v power !

Regards
Old 22 April 2012, 01:29 PM
New_scooby_04

After what I've heard from mappers about cars pretty much chucking out all of their ignition advance when run on BP Ultimate, I'd rather use coal in my scooby

Stick with V Power!
Old 22 April 2012, 01:39 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by winston69
BP Ultimate is the worst!!! That is why
Aye, Bob Rawle warned me not to use it at least 5yrs ago!

TX.
Old 22 April 2012, 01:41 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

Tesco 99 or V Power for an STI.
Old 22 April 2012, 01:42 PM
jeffmoses
Scooby Regular

Cheers All

Running 318.5bhp so it deserves the best
Old 22 April 2012, 01:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Two things all "super fuels" have to comply with BS7800:2006. If its below 97 Ron its illegal.

Secondly Vpower is different again...It now contains ethanol, like Tesco 99.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...er-petrol.html

This not such a good thing if your car was bespoke-mapped to pre-ethanol vpower. Not any major danger, but as it does burn slightly different you won't get the best from it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 April 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 22 April 2012, 02:32 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i got my car mapped 4 weeks ago and met a guy from sidc who was a tanker driver and he told us that tesco momentum and v power come from the same gantry at the refinery and is the same fuel,
Old 22 April 2012, 02:47 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
i got my car mapped 4 weeks ago and met a guy from sidc who was a tanker driver and he told us that tesco momentum and v power come from the same gantry at the refinery and is the same fuel,
It may well come from the same refinery but it's not the same fuel mate. Tesco and shell add different chemicals to their fuels, shell average Ron is 99.6 for instance whereas tesco is 99.
Ask any mapper which fuel they would suggest, V-Power every time but tesco if it's all that's available.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 22 April 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 22 April 2012, 02:55 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

just passing on what he said matty, i always have put in v power anyway but its handy to be able to use momentum if stuck.
Old 22 April 2012, 02:56 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
Tesco is made by Greenergy and i thought Shell made there own fuel ?

Just been looking at Tesco momentum spec and it has 3% methanol and 5% ethanol. I wonder how much Methanol v-power has?
Old 22 April 2012, 03:41 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

So much bollocks spouted.... He said this. They said that.
Old 22 April 2012, 03:43 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ALi-B

This not such a good thing if your car was bespoke-mapped to pre-ethanol vpower. Not any major danger, but as it does burn slightly different you won't get the best from it.
Who the **** told you that?
Old 22 April 2012, 04:01 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

If you're going to dismiss comments with such vigour Shaun then at least enlighten us with your version.
Old 22 April 2012, 04:20 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Thought i'd post up the Momentum spec. Cant find one for V-power to compare.

http://www.tesco.com/Momentum99/prod...fits-specs.asp
Old 22 April 2012, 04:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Shaun
Who the **** told you that?
OK you have old Vpower based on a selected base stock fuel (as original Vpower only came from selected refineries, I forget which - can find out if need be) with a blend of Toluene, Xylene and Trimethylbenzene as additives to enhance it.

Vs modern V-power which comes from the same sources as Tesco with a ethanol blend plus some other bits and bobs.

Both old and current have different levels of oxygenates which do have small effects on closed-loop fueling. The overall calorific value (bang per millilitre injected) and last but not least the manner in which the flame front propagates.

Of course if its just a off the shelf generic map, it doesn't matter. But the fuels ARE different. Modern Vpower is more like Tesco99. Now if the car is happy on Tesco, fine. The main difference between old Vpower and new will slightly less MPG and less tolerance to standing when not used. Its probably only 1mpg or so though.....And I did say there was no danger.

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 April 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 22 April 2012, 04:34 PM
Anubis
Scooby Newbie

I allways try to use vpower, but if i cant get hold of any i use tescos, did try bp a few times with one of my classics but it didnt feel as good as with vpower
Old 22 April 2012, 04:39 PM
New_scooby_04

So much bollocks spouted.... He said this. They said that.
Depends who says it!

When Bob Rawle told me to use V power, and explained why. I listened and used it!

When a unknown of SN says "use something" and gives no explanation, I'm more sceptical!

It's all about evaluating the reliability of the source of the information! Perhaps we should all be a bit more careful about citing the source of our info......but then I suspect that SN would dry up overnight!
Old 22 April 2012, 04:55 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
If you're going to dismiss comments with such vigour Shaun then at least enlighten us with your version.
Well said!
Old 22 April 2012, 06:00 PM
Kirstiestar
Scooby Regular

My car hates Ultimate, it runs really lumpy, but loves V power! My other half's cossie is the opposite though!?
Old 22 April 2012, 09:16 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

taken from the shell v-zine mag .as written by shell chief scientist mobility
question asked
i run a couple of vintage cars from the 1936-1937 era.I am aware of a problem using fuel with alcohol additives as this can effect certain seals and causes corrision in steel fuel tanks,i understand that shell v-power does not contain any ethanol.Can you confirm this the case?

answer
since 2010,all petrol sold in the uk ,including shell v-power contains upto 5% BIOETHANOL to meet renewable transport fuel regulations.Many other countries use higher percentage blends and 10% by volume bioethanol blend is quite common.There is quite alot of research into the effects of bioethanol on older cars and most of it concludes that a classic car engine should run with no problems,but certain ,more sensitive items,such as the carburettor and fuel pump seals,may need more regular attention.A STANDARD STEEL petrol tank can also suffer corrosion,but there are products available to permanently seal the tank.
Alternatively,you can fit a stainless-steel replacement.Bioethanol blends tend to form varnish on fuel system components,but the cleaning agents in shell v-power are designed to combat this.Some owners have reported that pre-ww2 engines seem to run a little hotter to modern petrol;this is almost certainly because of the different chemistry of modern petrol,which means it requires a slightly richer air-fuel ratio for efficient combustion .If this is a problem ,carburettors can be adjusted or re-jetted to compensate,depending on type.The high octane rating of shell v-power should not have any negative effect on cars made in the 1930s,and for classic high performance cars of the 50s and 60s it should benefit engines intended for 100 octane or higher
Old 22 April 2012, 10:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

^ ^

This is one of the problems I've had with my 1983 Jag. You wouldn't belive how hard it is to get ethanol graded rubber hoses rated for fuel injection pressure that is tolerant to the heat in a engine bay...that is also the correct outer AND inner diameters to fit the ferrules and barbs on the fuel rail and injectors!

In my case it means I have to use SAE J30R9 or DIN 73379-3D rated hose....and that is difficult to get hold of in the correct sizes.

Sure many companies will sell you "fuel injection hose" but the majority don't have any rating, many don't even conform to DIN73379-2B (SAE 30R7).

Edit...this is what I'm trying to avoid: http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index....s/page__st__45

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 April 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 22 April 2012, 10:42 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

for a free shell issue quite interesting read.

also maybe this is the issue of so many reported walbro pumps looking so corroded after 2 years ?
Old 23 April 2012, 02:17 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ALi-B
OK you have old Vpower based on a selected base stock fuel (as original Vpower only came from selected refineries, I forget which - can find out if need be) with a blend of Toluene, Xylene and Trimethylbenzene as additives to enhance it.

Vs modern V-power which comes from the same sources as Tesco with a ethanol blend plus some other bits and bobs.

Both old and current have different levels of oxygenates which do have small effects on closed-loop fueling. The overall calorific value (bang per millilitre injected) and last but not least the manner in which the flame front propagates.

Of course if its just a off the shelf generic map, it doesn't matter. But the fuels ARE different. Modern Vpower is more like Tesco99. Now if the car is happy on Tesco, fine. The main difference between old Vpower and new will slightly less MPG and less tolerance to standing when not used. Its probably only 1mpg or so though.....And I did say there was no danger.
You "appear" to know what you're on about.... or is this a "copy and paste" special?

So.... what are the actual "tested" differences in the real world to MPG, AFR's and Deg. over time? Of course your previous statement of "not such a good thing" and "you won't get the best from it" - the REAL WORLD context will be interesting to back that statement up!
Old 23 April 2012, 02:22 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
My comment was "in general" as I was in a bad mood at the time.

Last edited by Shaun; 23 April 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 23 April 2012, 03:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Temporarily ignoring differing octane ratings, temps and ignition timing etc; Is it not a given fact you need to burn more ethanol blend fuel to get the same ouput from a equal octane non-ethanol fuel. Ergo; the more ethanol content, the more that is needed because of the reduced calorific value hence the MPG comment.

Now as for the AFR: Assuming 0% Ethanol fuel is 14.7:1 and Ethanol is 9:1. 5% blend will be 14.4:1 Which for economy, backs that up.

For power, with target AFR for max power is say 12.5 to 13.23:1 for 0% 'pure petrol' (I know theres no such thing) and 6.43 to 7.8 for 100% ethanol. So the ideals for 5% blend will be 12.2 to 12.96:1 Clearly a slight shift richer for the target AFR range for peak power.

On the lambda scale (god I hope I get this right ) thats a target 0.85 to 0.9 versus 0.82 to 0.88 for the 5% blend.

Does the engine care? Go on, you tell me All I will say it depends on what the desired AFR targets are.

My statement of "not such a good thing" relates to a car running bespoke indvidual tuning parameters. If it was found to get peak BHP at xx:1 AFR and peak economy at xx:1 AFR then those targets have shifted slightly.

The real world is complicated because batch variations, humidity, temps and ignition timing as well as engine wear/condition. Both old and new Vpower "should" have the same octane in RON, but the way it reaches that is unclear. I don't have the MON or PON values to back that up.

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 April 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 23 April 2012, 04:35 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Unfortunately a load of physics and chemist talk don't mean that there are actually any useful differences, that imo, account for your previous statements.

Bull**** over substance springs to mind.
Old 23 April 2012, 04:50 PM
jeffmoses
Scooby Regular

My Scooby runs better on V Power than BP Ultimate, fact
Old 23 April 2012, 04:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Unfortunately a load of physics and chemist talk don't mean that there are actually any useful differences, that imo, account for your previous statements.

Bull**** over substance springs to mind.
Shaun with the greatest respect you've provided nothing of value in this thread, yet I have put the time and effort to put my side across.

So who's really Bull****ing? If I am wrong...show I am wrong (apart from you can't because you can't get 0% ethanol Vpower anymore)

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 April 2012 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Shell V Power