Sponsored by:

loudest BOV

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2012, 05:59 PM
goodyegg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loudest BOV

my mate has a classic STI and is looking for a loud BOV ..i know some may disagree but i was wondering which gives a lous clean sound ??
Old 14 April 2012, 06:12 PM
toyney83
Scooby Regular

gfb stealth... can have it silent or loud as ya like
Old 14 April 2012, 06:13 PM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

HKS-SSQV.

Put your hard hat on ready for the anti dump valve brigade!
Old 14 April 2012, 06:39 PM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

Turbosmart Mega sonic
Old 14 April 2012, 06:42 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby B
HKS-SSQV.

Put your hard hat on ready for the anti dump valve brigade!

HKS SSQV, Turbosmart Supersonic
Old 14 April 2012, 06:42 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure why the HKS has been mentioned, i dont think they class as loud.

Megasonic i`d say is the loudest and the proper type of dump valve sound

HKS sounds more like a tweeting/chirping bird
Old 14 April 2012, 06:45 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

i have and am selling my turbo smart megasonic adjustable, and is loud very very loud ( twin port exit trumpets )
Old 15 April 2012, 09:59 AM
goodyegg
Scooby Regular

cheers guys
Old 15 April 2012, 10:34 AM
coldflame90
Scooby Regular

Morning goody egg

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago and had the anti dump valve bridage after me also. But I went with what I wanted and got a hks ssqv 4 just fitted it yesterday and for me it's a loverly sound it's like a chirp. I looked on YouTube at videos of dump valve sounds and it just stood out for me cheapest I found was Scoobyparts about £265 and i ordered it late Friday afternoon and got the sat delivery off them cause most places don't stock them fantastic service. So for me it's the hks ssqv 4. Just my two pence worth

John
Old 15 April 2012, 11:32 AM
goodyegg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coldflame90
Morning goody egg

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago and had the anti dump valve bridage after me also. But I went with what I wanted and got a hks ssqv 4 just fitted it yesterday and for me it's a loverly sound it's like a chirp. I looked on YouTube at videos of dump valve sounds and it just stood out for me cheapest I found was Scoobyparts about £265 and i ordered it late Friday afternoon and got the sat delivery off them cause most places don't stock them fantastic service. So for me it's the hks ssqv 4. Just my two pence worth

John
Old 15 April 2012, 11:59 AM
Illest
Scooby Regular

I have hks ssqv and it's louuuudd
Old 15 April 2012, 12:31 PM
KAOS_JNR
Scooby Regular

Forge or megasonic for volume
Old 15 April 2012, 04:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The Anti-dumpvalve brigade, or bridage, aka "Those who value the health and fuelling of their cars against a stupid chav noise" have all but given up.

You wanna overfuel, you do it....then take the consequences.

PS: here's a PERFECT d/v for you both, really suits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1OQCK0YYTg
Old 15 April 2012, 07:28 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Anyone ever actually had any engine damage as a direct result of a vta dump valve? The only information I can find on here or Google is just similar threads with someone saying they will cause problems, I have seen threads where people have had problems with certain types/makes of vta valves have caused running issues but not all do, for instance I have a friend who has owned a classic for over 10 years with decat, induction kit and vta dump valve and has never had any problems on the road or track and on the rollers they said it was absolutely fine and that's without a remap! Let's face it, letting your scooby idle can cause borewash, hell just starting it up cold causes damage, does that mean they should not be run? Lol

Last edited by WildPikey; 15 April 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 15 April 2012, 07:36 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

I had HKS SSQV on both my Subaru's and evo 6 Personally I think its really good but some people say that the Turbosmart Twin Port ones are pretty good
Old 15 April 2012, 07:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

TBH, it's a moot point yes, but it WILL cause over-fuelling, which can have various effects including borewash, excess upper-cylinder wear, dilution of your oil, CAT damage if fitted and burning of valves, especially the exhaust valve.

Will it happen? Not necessarily. Should you take the chance? I won't, and I continue to advise others not to. IF there was owt to gain, Subaru and Prodrive would fit them. They don't.
What do you gain? A silly noise that marks you down in 99.99% of people's mind as a chav. What can you lose? Quite a lot, not least, image;(

I don't smoke, take drugs or drink to excess either: no proof they are/will be harmful, but why take the chance? I HAVE had an engine failure, (nowt to do with d/v's, all to do with my garage and myself NOT having the knowledge.........another reason I offer the advice on here), and the only reason I still drive a Scoob now is through the kindness and expertise of people on here, especially Harvey.

In the end, your car, your choice: but I like folk to mAKE IT knowing the possible outcome.

PS: is it a coincidence that the anti-VTA d/v brigade are mostly older, wiser and with more knowledge of their cars?

Last edited by alcazar; 15 April 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 15 April 2012, 08:20 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Good explanation, thank you, I don't fully agree though with the possibility of over fuelling being a fact, I believe it is just a possibility as like I have said I have seen with my own eyes an Impreza with a vta valve and other mods which are supposedly a no no unless remapped and it was running as well if not better than mine on the rollers, on the other hand there is that chance and why take a chance? Well there is a chance that next time I go for a drive I could have an accident and die, so what, I'm still going to do it, it's good that people know so can make decisions based upon what they know I suppose. Also just to add, older does Not necessarily make you wiser, alot of the older mechanics I work with don't know their *** from their elbows when working on newer vehicles and tend to find it difficult keeping up with new equipment etc. More often that not it would seem the main reason behind the anti-vta valves brigades comments are purely based on the fact that it is simply something they do not like, I find alot of the people who do come on here wanting advice regarding vta valves have usually owned turbocharged cars that didn't have any type of dump valve and have been told they should fit one for various reasons and usually have never heard of recirculating types and just assume vta is better, not really fair being called a chav for owning one, every chav I have seen with any type of car 99% of the time has an aftermarket louder or larger or both exhaust system and so does nearly every Impreza I have ever seen whether being driven by a 17 year old chav which is unlikely anyway or 70 year old man or woman.

Last edited by WildPikey; 15 April 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 15 April 2012, 08:40 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Turbo XS RFL is 120db.
Old 16 April 2012, 09:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WildPikey
Good explanation, thank you, I don't fully agree though with the possibility of over fuelling being a fact, I believe it is just a possibility as like I have said I have seen with my own eyes an Impreza with a vta valve and other mods which are supposedly a no no unless remapped and it was running as well if not better than mine on the rollers, on the other hand there is that chance and why take a chance? Well there is a chance that next time I go for a drive I could have an accident and die, so what, I'm still going to do it, it's good that people know so can make decisions based upon what they know I suppose. Also just to add, older does Not necessarily make you wiser, alot of the older mechanics I work with don't know their *** from their elbows when working on newer vehicles and tend to find it difficult keeping up with new equipment etc. More often that not it would seem the main reason behind the anti-vta valves brigades comments are purely based on the fact that it is simply something they do not like, I find alot of the people who do come on here wanting advice regarding vta valves have usually owned turbocharged cars that didn't have any type of dump valve and have been told they should fit one for various reasons and usually have never heard of recirculating types and just assume vta is better, not really fair being called a chav for owning one, every chav I have seen with any type of car 99% of the time has an aftermarket louder or larger or both exhaust system and so does nearly every Impreza I have ever seen whether being driven by a 17 year old chav which is unlikely anyway or 70 year old man or woman.
First off, I never said older meant wiser, I simply put one following the other: you made that distinction, and will have to ask yourself why?;(

Secondly, louder exhausts are fitted because we know they give better flow.
Chav-horns, however, are just that. They aren't designed into an Impreza, and there is NO evidence of one doing anything other than make the owner look a d1ck, LOL
Why not lean out of the window every gearchange and shout, "Look at me, Pssssssh!"

If you think there is no evidence for over-fuelling, you ain't looked hard enough, nor asked the right people.

But as I said, your decision, you take any consequences Including looking a d1ck
Old 16 April 2012, 10:07 AM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

I'm not saying some vta valve haven't or don't cause overfuelling but you need to accept the fact that it is only a possibility and not all vta valves on all Imprezas cause that problem, you put older and wise in the same sentence and you know full well you were implying exactly what you now say your not, it seems to me that you just can't handle another human being doing or having or liking something you don't, all I have read are your opinions which are really not that helpful, let's be honest, if I search threads you have posted on regarding vta valves the point you seem to try and make the hardest is that the person thinking of fitting one or has one will look in your eyes and probably some other members "a d1ck", that is what annoys me if I'm honest, surely you "older" members should be more mature about these things?

Last edited by WildPikey; 16 April 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 16 April 2012, 11:34 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm not saying some vta valve haven't or don't cause overfuelling but you need to accept the fact that it is only a possibility and not all vta valves on all Imprezas cause that problem
Just my tupence; air comes in, its measured by the MAF...fuel is added by the ECU dependant on the volume of air measured by the MAF.

Re-circulating BOV; air back in the system; air fuel ratio remains as the ECU intended.

VTA BOV; air is vented to atmosphere; air fuel ratio is richer than the ECU intended.

How much damage that causes (or not), appears to be dependent on other variables too but the above is a fair representation of the facts I think. It’s down to the individual to decide if having bus airbrakes sound effects is more important than running the engine in its optimal OE map I guess.

Last edited by trails; 16 April 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 16 April 2012, 11:57 AM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Same applies though really, generally as a rule if it's an import then the OE map is not optimal anyway plus I have seen with my own eyes an Impreza on the rollers with a vta valve and no map to compensate and it was running as good if not better than my own car, it isn't a fact that all valves cause problems its a possibility that some certain types might, this is my point.
Old 16 April 2012, 12:04 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Show me an engine that's failed as a direct result of a vta dump valve being fitted and I will shut up! The only time you ever heard of this problem arising is when somebody asks about a dump valve then the same old people jump on the thread saying it will cause overfuelling which can lead to borewash etc, it's pretty well known that bailey type valves cause issues due to the way they are constructed I would imagine but there are hundreds if not thousands of people who have vta valves fitted who have not had a remap or map tweak and their cars are absolutely fine, you could argue and say they might be lucky and engine failure is on the way, well as said earlier I have a friend who has had his Impreza over 10 years with lots of mods and no remap and it hasn't missed a beat since day one and was more or less perfect when on the rollers, now that's pretty good as there are loads of people on here who spend lots of money including me having their maps tweaked etc for every mod and still our cars don't last that long!
Old 16 April 2012, 12:09 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a fat mate to hang his **** out the window- job done!

Trust me to dv novelty will soon wear off, that noise becomes very annoying after awhile
Old 16 April 2012, 12:25 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

The title of this thread is 'loudest bov'....

Why ?
Why would you want the loudest bov ?
Old 16 April 2012, 01:18 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Show me an engine that's failed as a direct result of a vta dump valve being fitted and I will shut up! The only time you ever heard of this problem arising is when somebody asks about a dump valve then the same old people jump on the thread saying it will cause overfuelling which can lead to borewash etc, it's pretty well known that bailey type valves cause issues due to the way they are constructed I would imagine but there are hundreds if not thousands of people who have vta valves fitted who have not had a remap or map tweak and their cars are absolutely fine, you could argue and say they might be lucky and engine failure is on the way, well as said earlier I have a friend who has had his Impreza over 10 years with lots of mods and no remap and it hasn't missed a beat since day one and was more or less perfect when on the rollers, now that's pretty good as there are loads of people on here who spend lots of money including me having their maps tweaked etc for every mod and still our cars don't last that long!
optimal isn't the best choice of word; perhaps safe is better...imports are designed to run on higher octane fuel so obviously not safe or optimal in context of lower octane UK fuel, but that isn't being debated here is it. The crux is manufacturers spend millions on development and will always choose the safest compromise for a particular application and in this instance its not VTA.
Whatever you say the facts remain the same as far as the air fuel mix in concerned; ECU thinks there is more air than there actually is so it will run rich. Just a variation of form over function really; if you own a car like a scoob to be the centre of attention rather than to drive it, pound for pound a bl00dy noisy VTA BOV is probably the best way forward
Old 16 April 2012, 01:22 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

It's still not a fact though because it doesn't happen on all engines! No 2 are the same no matter how they are made or who by, I understand what possibly can occur by fitting a vta valve but seriously, do you have your map tweaked every day for the change in weather or everytime you drive up then down a hill again?
Old 16 April 2012, 01:51 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

It's still not a fact though because it doesn't happen on all engines! No 2 are the same no matter how they are made or who by, I understand what possibly can occur by fitting a vta valve but seriously, do you have your map tweaked every day for the change in weather or everytime you drive up then down a hill again?
It is a fact that the VTA BOV dumps air out of the system that the ECU thinks is there and so ends up running rich. I don’t know anybody who can categorically prove that running a VTA BOV over time does not damage your engine but there are plenty of documented standard Scoob engines that having been into the 200k+ area.
No, I’ve never run a VTA and my ECU supports closed loop fuelling with a wideband so not really an issue for me
Old 16 April 2012, 02:04 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Sorry I came across wrong, I wasn't arguing with your point about how it all works but it is not a fact that all engines will end up running rich, I have seen one that wasn't with my own eyes, that's a fact! There are so many other factors you could bring into this and the fact is that when vta valves have caused overfuelling it is usually such a miniscule amount that it is nothing to worry about, different altitudes, temperatures etc can all cause similar or even bigger problems than a vta valve but what should we do, park up and never drive again? The maf measures air draw in and the vta valve dumps positive pressure created by the turbo which is unmeasured by the maf so that would tell me the ecu would be working on a best guess anyway? I Would imagine it is all worked out via a calculation of what is seen between the maf and map sensor? I'm not saying I fully understand and know how every engine management system works or engine that has a vta fitted is running, facts are a far cry from possibilities, I'm just saying neither does anyone else I have spoken to about it as yet, If your ever in Southampton, I and my friend are quite willing to have his Impreza put on the rollers and checked just to prove there is Atleast one running perfectly ok with a vta valve.

Last edited by WildPikey; 16 April 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 16 April 2012, 02:09 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

100% agree with trails.

Yes, i agree it doesnt cause problems for some cars .... but ive seen some really nasty running issues and idle problems that simply dissapear when the standard recirc valve is put back on! ..... so if anyone wants to take the chance then fair play to them, its theyre car and its theyre rebuild costs IF something goes wrong!

The biggest question here is from Matty1983 ..... why? .... if you can think of any other reason than wanting to draw more attention to yourself then fair play!

I personally do run a VTA dump valve .... but thats because ive gone mafless with syvecs, and recirc would have been both unnessascary and a plumbing nightmare.

Maybe this is the dumpvalve of your mates dreams .... adjustable in cabin volume (probably) .... and the box is that cool fake carbon plastic stuff ... ooooh, fake carbon! mmmmm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saber-Fake...item2313e51981

Quick Reply: loudest BOV