Sponsored by:

How doo

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2012, 11:49 AM
adzn2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How doo

How do guys I couldn't find an introduction section so I hope this is the right place,

I took a 2002 WRX impreza wagon in part ex for my skyline and so far I'm happy with it especially as it ticks the wife's 'Practical' box and erm well its pretty nippy

Its pretty much standard except a prodrive back box however I've a garage full of tools and it would be just wrong for me to not use the on the brew lol

As I'm new to these cars I might be seen asking some very stupid questions so bear with me and if possible point me in the direction of some technical threads that could help me find out what parts the can be fitted to the wagon from the saloon.

My plan for the car is set it up to be a fast road occasional track toy while still keeping the wife happy lol first aim is to get it ready for a remap so any info would be greatly received

Also where can i get a middle box that will compliment the prodrive back box that wont be too loud

Old 12 April 2012, 01:20 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Welcome, nice bugeye!

Most parts off the saloon will fit your estate. As far as the exhaust goes have a look on Scoobyworld or Haywood and Scott, they should have a centre section to fit your needs.

The comman upgrades for a first remap tend to be,

Performance panel filter (Green cotton)
Turbo back decat

That should see about 270 or there abouts. If you want to take it further then your looking at spending a lot more,

550 injectors
Bigger turbo
Up rated fuel pump
Bigger intercooler

With a supporting map that should see around 320 depending on turbo and map. I would suggest uprateing the brakes before then though as they are pretty poor, Godspeed do a good upgrade system or you can go all in and get bigger calipers and discs.

As far as handling, I went down the coilover route at cost but you can also go for eibach lowering springs or tein s-tech ones which will give a firmer ride and lower it up to 30mm I believe. Front and rear anti roll bars are also worth upgrading if your looking to sharpen up handling.

Anyway whatever you do enjoy it chap!
Old 12 April 2012, 01:27 PM
adzn2k
Scooby Regular

cheers for the info mate,

I know these cars have about a million cats on them whats the rule on MOT time how many are needed to pass so I can swap em about

at what power does the clutch need changing??
Old 12 April 2012, 01:34 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

My 04 reg had 3 cats in it, 1 in the uppipe, 1 in the downpipe and 1 just after that. I would assume yours will be the same but don't take my word.

You need at least 1 cat in to pass the emissions test but you can get 100 cell sports cats for the downpipe which will pass the mot but will also require a remap if fitted to get the most gains out of it. You could also go totally decat if you happen to know a friendly mot chap if you catch my drift?

The clutch on the newage wrx is a bit of an unknown to and extent but I would advice changing it only if you decide to go for a second remap and take the power upto and above 300bhp. I know of a few people running 400bhp on the stock clutch but it is only a matter of time you have to think. Either that or th gearbox jumping ship.

Last edited by Kedlestone; 12 April 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 18 April 2012, 07:19 PM
adzn2k
Scooby Regular

a lil update on this i have managed to get my hands on a cosworth panel filter and 2.5" turbo back decat exhaust that should let me refit a cat come mot and i have an sti intercooler coming at the end of the month all will be fitted just before getting it mapped should i get a decatted uppipe too before the map?
Old 18 April 2012, 08:29 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Yes bud ideally get the uppipe sorted before the map but it's not the end of the world if you can't.
Old 19 April 2012, 10:53 AM
adzn2k
Scooby Regular

cool and recommendations on uppipes or any i should avoid??

also whats the bhp limit on a standard wrx bottom end?? I've no intention of going over 400 probably around the 350 mark next year once the rest of the car is sorted
Old 19 April 2012, 11:27 AM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Got mine from Scoobyworld, fitted to. Not sure there are any to avoid as its just a straight through pipe.

I wouldn't worry as much about the bottom end going, its more the clutch or gearbox which are more likely to jump ship. I'm about to go for my second remap with supporting mods to hopefully see around 340. No point taking it much further unless you want to upgrade the clutch and possibly shell out for a new gearbox or do a 6 speed conversion. To be honest if you end up getting that far you may as well save the cash and get an STI.

Having said all that I do know of a few people on here running 400bhp on the standard box and engine, for how long....?
Old 19 April 2012, 11:33 AM
adzn2k
Scooby Regular

Yeah thats my thinking this car is only going to keep me occupied while i sort out my house and so i'll only really be going as far as a second remap then once the house is sorted i'll be looking at getting an STI (i've come to realise i should have got in to imprezas along time ago :/)