ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hosepipe ban

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2012, 09:29 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hosepipe ban

Well, the dreaded hosepipe ban started today and car cleaning addicts are going to have to use the tears they're shedding to rinse the car - or are they?
My area, east of London and into Essex, is covered by Essex and Suffolk water who are not on the list of seven water companies. So, no ban for me! However, I imagine many of the neighbours have no idea of the supplying water Co. and will assume it applies to them. Doubtless I will get some strange looks and under the breath comments!
The stupid thing about this is, using the hose on 'spray' to chase off loose dirt/dust, and then to rinse after washing, uses less water than the two buckets for each process I would be allowed to use if the ban applied to me!
So, all you London area and Essex/Suffolk people should check who your water supplier is.

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 05 April 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05 April 2012, 09:41 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you could try this

We take it to race meets to clean the cars between Rounds where getting the jet wash out is not an option we can usally clean 5 full cars with one bottle!

£9.99 + Vat a bottle
Old 05 April 2012, 10:16 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Always been wary of these waterless washes. Maybe ok for light dust but fear anything more will result in: Black car + waterless wash = mega swirls!
Fine for competition cars covered in sponsorship decals etc?
How does it differ from a detailer?

JohnD
Old 05 April 2012, 10:30 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-17622006

Plenty of water here in Taffland. You fancy coming over for a wash .
Old 05 April 2012, 10:31 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

My tips:

If the car is already clean and hasn't gotten wet (i.e garaged), then all you need to do is go over it with a feather duster.

Autoglym "fast shine and lube no54" is good stuff to remove fine road dust and film. It can be used with clay bars , so it serves a similar purpose when used with a cloth (just turn/change regularly when it becomes too dirty).

However if the car is muddy and has large particles ingrained grit then TBH wet washing is the only way to go. But generally you can keep this to the sills and lower door areas.

The alternative is to use a 5litre pump sprayer (usually used for weed killer etc) to wet and rinse. Ok you'll have to do one panal at a time due to tiny water flow, but its possible.

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 April 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05 April 2012, 10:34 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Oh yes; and ignore the media with their inaccurate bullsh*t

Check with your water supplier directly via their website to confirm if you do have hosepipe ban or not.
Old 05 April 2012, 12:40 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Fortunately I'm covered by Essex & Suffolk water so no ban for me yet but I've got a hand pump pressure washer that I've used a few times on my car. Not powerful enough if you have heavy dirt or mud (unlikely to encounter this during a drought though ) but fine for usual dust etc.
Old 05 April 2012, 02:21 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD
Always been wary of these waterless washes. Maybe ok for light dust but fear anything more will result in: Black car + waterless wash = mega swirls!
Fine for competition cars covered in sponsorship decals etc?
How does it differ from a detailer?

JohnD
I used to think the same until we were given some to try,(I don't know how) but it lifts the dirt off and holds it on the cloth I even tried to rub the dirt back on and and nope it was having none of it! It even cleans rubber tire marks off doors after a bit of rubbins racing!

I have 2 bottles in the garage at home and swearr buy the stuff if I can't be ar** to get the jet wash out, obviously if you car is covered in mud and big bits of muck you'll need to get that off first!