Sponsored by:

Confused, and looking for owners advice

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2012, 09:05 AM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Confused, and looking for owners advice

After a house move to the outside of the M25 at the end of last year, I bought a car for commuting into work as the tube was no longer an option. As it was over Xmas and New Year that I was looking, choice was limited, and having just moved house I wasn't exactly focussed on doing proer homework or shopping for the new car.

I bought a (very) low mileage '03 BMW 320CI Sport auto which would be good on the journey to work, and I could lump miles onto it and sell it in a few years with it still being low mileage.

My journey is 25 miles each way, and the BMW is averaging 28/29mpg. It is mostly motorway (M25 and M4), with a nice bit of country roads from M25 to home. So now that I am into the routine of it, I don't see the mileage that I am doing being as bad as I first thought.

I know the 320 was a sensible choice, but sensible is turning into boring and I have started looking for something a bit more fun to drive.

I was on autotrader last night and saw a number of '06 and '07 WRXs with <40k miles for around £6.5k to £8k, 1 owner etc and some similar mileage '04 / '05 STIs also in the same price bracket.

Questions for those of you that own either of these....
What are the WRX and STI like as a daily driver, where most of the drive is motorway?
What is the real world MPG that these will return?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
Old 15 March 2012, 09:11 AM
lazadude
Scooby Regular

I use my 07 as a daily driver, absolutely fine, where 60% of the journey is the M3, and I return an average of 24/25mpg...
Old 15 March 2012, 09:30 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The WRX will be slightly better on fuel but not by much, and easier to live with on a day to day basis, cheaper to buy and slightly cheaper to insure.

The sti suspension can be a bit much as it is quite firm and if the roads are bumpy can knock you about a bit especially if your not used to firm suspension.

If you plan on modding or doing the odd track day the STI is the one to go for as it is a better base car to mod from, but if you just want the odd sprited blast a lightly modded WRX or one like mine with the PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) and a few handling mods fitted is a cracking day to day fast road car, and mine is a wagon so it's usefull too.

Your fuel consumption will vary dependant on your driving style, at a steady motorway cruise i have seen 33mpg but i was going very gently, and i have also done 15/18 mpg giving it a bit, so an average of 25 is achievable on you daily commute.
Old 15 March 2012, 09:34 AM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, my brother has a GB270 which I drove a bit over the xmas break and it was an awesome car to drive. Felt quite flat going from that to the 320!
Old 15 March 2012, 10:42 AM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Mine is a my00 classic,uk turbo, my average mpg is 30-34 that's on b roads too, it's more how you drive, need to factor warming up and cooling down times.
Old 15 March 2012, 11:26 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I have an 07 sti as a daily driver. i get between 17-22 mpg. The scoob will be more fun to drive but harder to live with than the beemer. If you can put up with poor mpg and trim rattles the scoob will make your commute more fun.
Old 15 March 2012, 11:30 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Factor in the tax as well. Mine is up this month ('56 WRX) and £445

As above, fuel around low twenties. No problem motorway miles, if going for a WRX I would try and find one that either has PPP or Stage 1 mods to around 280bhp/340lbft. Entertaining enough then.

Trending Topics

Old 15 March 2012, 11:32 AM
Graeme_Curley_STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackvenom
Mine is a my00 classic,uk turbo, my average mpg is 30-34 that's on b roads too, it's more how you drive, need to factor warming up and cooling down times.
34mpg?? That's awful good!!
Old 15 March 2012, 01:29 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

My daily commute is 60 miles each way - at least half on M25. In the last few years I have done this in a variety of scoobs including WRX PPP and STi Spec D. To be honest, there really isnt much difference in mpg between the two, and the WRX was generally more comfortable when pottering along. However, I would still go STi everytime for the brief moments you get to really put the hammer down
Old 15 March 2012, 01:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvenom
You must drive like an old man.
Old 15 March 2012, 01:45 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StiX
Factor in the tax as well. Mine is up this month ('56 WRX) and £445

As above, fuel around low twenties. No problem motorway miles, if going for a WRX I would try and find one that either has PPP or Stage 1 mods to around 280bhp/340lbft. Entertaining enough then.
Same here, ouch. Still, its about the driving experience, so I don't let this kind of expenditure stay in my mind too long.

Mine is standard at present but as said above, stage 1 to 280bhp is where I'm heading, which will be enough for me I reckon. Also, with all wheel drive you won't have to worry too much about snow and ice, which would be, shall we say, 'fun' in the rear drive 320
Old 15 March 2012, 01:50 PM
Graeme_Curley_STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
You must drive like an old man.
Do you really think 34 mpg is possible on winding b-roads in a wrx??
I certainly don't!!
Old 05 April 2012, 04:45 PM
Dave_ABZ
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mike16v
Thanks for the info, my brother has a GB270 which I drove a bit over the xmas break and it was an awesome car to drive. Felt quite flat going from that to the 320!
GB270's are great! An estate would also be handy for lumping the kids stuff around!

TBH, I reckon it's 6 and 2x 3's between a WRX and an Sti

The Sti is 6 speed to will help for slightly better fuel of the motorway, but has a pretty firm ride. The WRX would be a bit more "comfy", but only a 5 speed.

Anything registered before march 06 will be half the price to tax.

Maybe worth having a spy for a 55 / 06 wrx. the engine size's change around this time. And I couldn't tell you any of the pro's cons of a 2.0 against the 2.5 which i have.

P.S. Hi bro!

PPS, 34mpg?? I don't think I could get that pushed it along the road.

I got 25mpg on a long motorway drive at motorway speeds. sub 20 scooting around town.
Old 05 April 2012, 04:49 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike16v
After a house move to the outside of the M25 at the end of last year, I bought a car for commuting into work as the tube was no longer an option. As it was over Xmas and New Year that I was looking, choice was limited, and having just moved house I wasn't exactly focussed on doing proer homework or shopping for the new car.

I bought a (very) low mileage '03 BMW 320CI Sport auto which would be good on the journey to work, and I could lump miles onto it and sell it in a few years with it still being low mileage.

My journey is 25 miles each way, and the BMW is averaging 28/29mpg. It is mostly motorway (M25 and M4), with a nice bit of country roads from M25 to home. So now that I am into the routine of it, I don't see the mileage that I am doing being as bad as I first thought.

I know the 320 was a sensible choice, but sensible is turning into boring and I have started looking for something a bit more fun to drive.

I was on autotrader last night and saw a number of '06 and '07 WRXs with <40k miles for around £6.5k to £8k, 1 owner etc and some similar mileage '04 / '05 STIs also in the same price bracket.

Questions for those of you that own either of these....
What are the WRX and STI like as a daily driver, where most of the drive is motorway?
What is the real world MPG that these will return?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
The prices might have something to do with 05+ cars and road tax/emissions.