Sponsored by:

Petrol clarity

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2012, 04:39 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Petrol clarity

As a newbie does it make any difference what petrol you use as long as it isn't Ron95. I fill up at an Esso garage on Ron97 and have experience no issues so far. Does Ron 98/99 really make any long term or immediate difference?
Old 23 March 2012, 04:51 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my personal experience yes, I had an Apexi Power FC in my Impreza, using the hand commander I could see the engine knock in real time, my car was mapped on Esso 97, nothing special, ran sweet as a dream, once I filled up on Total Excellium which is supposed to be 97 Ron, straight away I could see knock.

On a standard car you could probably get away with it, but once it's been remapped, I'd recommend you stick to whatever fuel was in the car when you had it mapped, but you'll find loads of people here with varying experiences.

The fuels I always used with no issues were Esso 97, Shell V Power, and Tesco Momentum. I tried the Texaco equivalent once and that was awful, so was BP Ultimate but if you can use V Power then carrying on, it's a safe fuel to use
Old 23 March 2012, 05:06 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

What do you mean by the engine knock in real time? When you say the Texaco & BP were awful, in what respect?
Old 23 March 2012, 05:25 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

If it not mapped, then you'll be fine with any SUL
What he's saying is that his car was remapped specifically on one particular brand of fuel.
He used another brand once, and saw det issues using his monitoring device which is connected to the ECU of the car.
Old 23 March 2012, 05:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Engine knock in real time:
When an engine is running, the spark, and thus the ignition of the fuel:air mixture MUST happen at the best moment for the engine. This is usually JUST BEFORE the piston reaches top-dead-centre, (tdc), so as to use it's momentum and the explosion in the cylinder to send it back down again at the fastest rate.

Mapping the engine makes sure that this is happening.

However, many factors can interfere with this process making the mixture explode, (fire) too far below tdc, ie: as the piston is rushing upwards. This has the effect of SLOWING the piston, and the shock it gets is transmitted through the rods to the bottom end bearings....with the expected damage
It can also cause damage to valves, and the camshaft and it's bearings, but the bottom end is usually the one that goes

When this explosion is taking place too far in advance of tdc, it's called "knock" or "det" (detonation), it USED to be known as "pinking", since it makes a noise like a rattle, a "pinking" noise"

What Ryan was saying is that his Commander allows him not just to HEAR the knock, (which, when driving a Scoob at speed, is difficult), but to SEE it on the commander.
On mine, I have a KnockLink fitted which does the same job, although not as well, mine just shows knock at a crude level, Ryans shows the exact level.

Knock is NOT good: if it is occurring, your engine could be destroyed sooner, rather than later

Other fuels:

As sabove, if the car has been mapped, it is important to keep to the grade of fuel it was mapped to, or drive off boost.

Ryan was saying that other fuels caused knock, ON HIS CAR.

Last edited by alcazar; 23 March 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 23 March 2012, 05:32 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tony Harrington
What do you mean by the engine knock in real time? When you say the Texaco & BP were awful, in what respect?
Urban has taken the words out of my mouth above

My car was mapped on Esso 97, BP and Texaco just made my car run poorly but unless your car has been remapped you should be ok just sticking to a high quality, high ron fuel, if you've had no isses with the car running Esso then carry on

If you do have the option to run the car on Vpower, as in, the fuel station is just down the road then go for it as it's a good fuel to use and the higher ron count is the safest option for the engine.
Old 23 March 2012, 05:42 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys really helpful and informative.
Alcazar where did you get that info is it off a website that I can browse for further info & help?
Also I have a PPP fitted, I assume this is very different to having a remap

Trending Topics

Old 23 March 2012, 06:59 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

UK car on standard map will be very happy on 95ron. JDm cars require SUL or a remap.

PPP fitted to a UK car is set of components fitted to work together. Typically centre decat, silicone Y pipe, Prodrive back box, uprated fuel pump and an ecu with a map to utilise all these components on an otherwise standard car. Prodrive recommend 97ron to maximise performance gains but the car will still not be damaged by running on 95ron. Statement true on classics. Would have to check on newage.

Old 23 March 2012, 06:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not off a website, but Gogle will help, try Googling "What causes det in an engine", then repeat changing "det" for "knock".
Old 23 March 2012, 07:27 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
UK car on standard map will be very happy on 95ron. JDm cars require SUL or a remap.

PPP fitted to a UK car is set of components fitted to work together. Typically centre decat, silicone Y pipe, Prodrive back box, uprated fuel pump and an ecu with a map to utilise all these components on an otherwise standard car. Prodrive recommend 97ron to maximise performance gains but the car will still not be damaged by running on 95ron. Statement true on classics. Would have to check on newage.

Standard Newage STi ppp is 98 ron or above