Old 02 March 2012, 06:14 PM
Billy 3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 340/340 ishhhhhh

340/340 ishhhhhh
The car goes in on the 14th March for a de-cat and a K&N panel
filter then goes in to Andrew Carr in Blackburn on the 19th for
mapping.Did'nt get a full system as i like the noise it makes now.
The car is a 2005 STI PPP,iv'e done some searches on here and
the above figure seems to be what people think it should be ??.
What do you think,Do i need a full system ?????.In my searches
on here people don't believe a System alone gives that much
extra, once it's De-catted,as it is the de-cat that
restricts the air flow.Any advice before i spend my hard earned.
I don't want mega power,but why people think this engine and box
can cope,and keep reliability,i thought i may as well give it a go.

Any advise/Comments would be welcome.

Cheers
Old 02 March 2012, 06:24 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

i have the same motor mapped by andy

as soon as i got it i did the exact same with great results and it sounded great

but then i went for a full 3inch decat and some gt spec headers and had the map tweaked again and i would advise you to do the same now the power and sound is awsome
and andy's mapping is spot on not had a problem with it over the past 2 years since andy's had his hands on it a few times

Old 02 March 2012, 06:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He wont need the manifold on an STI though porting would help but not necessary, only really needs a good panel filter, exhaust and a map.

Tony
Old 02 March 2012, 07:14 PM
w44syf
Scooby Regular

hi mate might want to add a 3 port boost solioned , the engine and box will handle this sort off power very well, iv seen people run 450-500 bhp on stock internal!
Old 02 March 2012, 08:17 PM
Billy 3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by w44syf
hi mate might want to add a 3 port boost solioned , the engine and box will handle this sort off power very well, iv seen people run 450-500 bhp on stock internal!
What is this a 3 port boost solioned ?.Do you think 340/340 is achievable
with what i'm getting done,or do i need the full system.
There is a £300 difference,would it be worth it.Does Andy do/fit a
3 port boost solioned ?.

Cheers
Old 02 March 2012, 08:42 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for 300 extra I would fit a full system, the sound will be much better and the system far less restrictive than a PPP setup with decat downpipe., you still have a centre silencer and prodrive backbox with the above mentioned setup, a full 3" system will flow far more and unleash a few extra horses + its future proof if you decide to mod more in the future
Old 02 March 2012, 10:48 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Why do people are chasing numbers...... Suspension mods is what makes you faster, safer etc., power should be the last mod ....
Just my opinion..

Old 02 March 2012, 10:54 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

exactly what i did on mine. I wanted xyz bhp and blow all my budget on power but luckily common sense came through and i bought uprated brakes and suspension mods as deep down i knew my standard brakes etc weren't upto the job on my type r.
Old 02 March 2012, 10:54 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mantazini
Why do people are chasing numbers...... Suspension mods is what makes you faster, safer etc., power should be the last mod ....
Just my opinion..

does it not depend on what you start with ?
2005 sti set up can easily take the extra power and i didn't do it just for numbers i did it for drivability and it was all good i do now have coilovers and whiteline arb's droplinks ect but can't see a problem with which order you do it with this model ????
Old 02 March 2012, 11:52 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Well, it can easily take extra power but that doesn't mean you'll be faster... Extra 40bhp will make you faster just half of lenght of a car on a straight line , proper camber udjustment tighter springs/coils and other little handling bits will eat you up on the corners with your extra power without these mods. I'm just comparing the amount of moneynyou would spend . Lets say, 1k on power mods.... induction, fuel pump,exhaust,remap? to ALK, springs/coils , geometry settings, ARBs, good pads....
More power will make you upgrade other bits if you want to balance the whole thing. Suspenion mods will not nescesary as its going to be a nice handling package already . Alot of people start from the other end. TBH the drivers skill improvement course would make the biggest impact of them all.
Old 02 March 2012, 11:56 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

Are you not missing the point about drive ability and responsiveness that comes with a good map ?
Old 03 March 2012, 12:16 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wngdav
Are you not missing the point about drive ability and responsiveness that comes with a good map ?
True, the driving ability is the most important , but still you can't compare like to like. The well setup car will be easier to control even for an avarege driver. My point is that power doesn't mean everything. A lot of newbies want to get 350s so they could brag it between their mates. But a knowledgable lad with a well setup car and 50 bhp less will give you a good run for your money.

Old 03 March 2012, 06:16 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it can easily take extra power but that doesn't mean you'll be faster... Extra 40bhp will make you faster just half of lenght of a car on a straight line , proper camber udjustment tighter springs/coils and other little handling bits will eat you up on the corners with your extra power without these mods. I'm just comparing the amount of moneynyou would spend . Lets say, 1k on power mods.... induction, fuel pump,exhaust,remap? to ALK, springs/coils , geometry settings, ARBs, good pads....
More power will make you upgrade other bits if you want to balance the whole thing. Suspenion mods will not nescesary as its going to be a nice handling package already . Alot of people start from the other end. TBH the drivers skill improvement course would make the biggest impact of them all.
Yep, so many people really do think power is the be all and end all, but in all honesty these cars are crap on the limit until they are set up properly, and anyone that doesn't know that has no business getting more power, because they obviously can't use the power they already have so why get more

And as said the best mod you can buy is driver training
Old 03 March 2012, 08:29 AM
Billy 3
Scooby Regular

People iv'e had a 2003 focus RS running 330/330.It had AP 6 pots
braided hoses and coilovers.I'm just interested in getting decent reliable
power for now.Other things may follow,but i thought the PPP version
was suppossed to a good all round version of this car.
Old 03 March 2012, 09:12 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is mate, but they are still understeering pigs on the limit if not set up properly, i presume your used to torque steer and dubious handling characteristics coming from a 330bhp focus.

The main thing about ppp is that it's a good safe map, with an emphasis on torque as opposed to numbers, but it is a one size fits all map.

My advice would be get all your parts together and fit them at once so it saves you having tweeks and wasting money that could be spent elsewhere, which i think is what your trying to do, and its the way to go for sure.

But having modded these cars for a while some of us know that it's not the numbers that make it a better car, and remapping can be risky if you don't choose the right mapper.

JGM gets my vote and when i mod my new car it will be him that does the mapping.

So in answer to your original question, full 3" decat or sports cat in downpipe, panel filter and 3 port boost solenoid and a new fuel pump to be on the safe side, should see the gains your looking for.

But then you will notice how bad the handling is even more,and have to sort that along with the brakes.

Happy modding.
Old 03 March 2012, 09:30 AM
Billy 3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
It is mate, but they are still understeering pigs on the limit if not set up properly, i presume your used to torque steer and dubious handling characteristics coming from a 330bhp focus.

The main thing about ppp is that it's a good safe map, with an emphasis on torque as opposed to numbers, but it is a one size fits all map.

My advice would be get all your parts together and fit them at once so it saves you having tweeks and wasting money that could be spent elsewhere, which i think is what your trying to do, and its the way to go for sure.

But having modded these cars for a while some of us know that it's not the numbers that make it a better car, and remapping can be risky if you don't choose the right mapper.

JGM gets my vote and when i mod my new car it will be him that does the mapping.

So in answer to your original question, full 3" decat or sports cat in downpipe, panel filter and 3 port boost solenoid and a new fuel pump to be on the safe side, should see the gains your looking for.

But then you will notice how bad the handling is even more,and have to sort that along with the brakes.

Happy modding.
Thank you sir.
Old 03 March 2012, 09:30 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

AHHH!! The voice of reason at last.

Big power is all about ***** waving.
I have kept my car pretty standard around 280bhp(Excedy clutch,Stainless brake lines,4-pots,Sti seats,poly bushes.)
If you wish to make rapid progress,the biggest mistake I have seen is that people brake much,much,much too early when approaching a corner & even brake during the corner.

Have had many mega power cars(Porche,Merc,BMW etc. come past me & then see them braking very early. I can the relax & keep up with them mostly overtaking by out braking.Simples
Old 03 March 2012, 12:02 PM
Billy 3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wngdav
i have the same motor mapped by andy

as soon as i got it i did the exact same with great results and it sounded great

but then i went for a full 3inch decat and some gt spec headers and had the map tweaked again and i would advise you to do the same now the power and sound is awsome
and andy's mapping is spot on not had a problem with it over the past 2 years since andy's had his hands on it a few times

Cheers,i am not going any further on performance after this.340 Isshhh
is more than enough for me.I have only got the de-cat and K&N to help
it breath a little better and hopefully get a little more power.I am not
into the mega noise really and i like the exhaust tailpipe that is on the car now.
I think once the K&N and de-cat are on it will be loud enough.I just like the thought
of getting around an extra 40/40 for £600.I will let you know how i get on.