Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Scooby Highlanders

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2001, 01:37 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In June this year I am going to dust off the London grime and head for Mallaig for a week.

Who knows of some 'good ' roads whereupon I can test out the scoobs qualities .

Also some good day-trips with appropriate stop-offs to amuse the kids (much though I would like to spend all day driving the scoob, I don't the wife and wee ones would be as chuffed )

Mike
Old 09 April 2001, 01:55 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

take the road from Blairgowrie to Braemar via glenshee...

its Evo's favourite road...

great road... and Braemar is worth a visit...

Old 09 April 2001, 02:39 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Agree with SCOSaltire about the Blairgowrie to Braemar road, but it's not really on your route to Mallaig and it's too far for a day's round trip from there.

Mallaig is pretty much out on a limb - there's only one road in and it stops there! There's a ferry to Armadale on Skye and any road on Skye is a blast - just watch out for the sheep which seem to prefer to sleep on the roads. The scenery is awesome and well worth a trip. Dunvegan Castle worthwhile if you like castles (but not cheap to get in, IIRC). Portree and Broadford the only places with shops (and not many). New Skye bridge costs around £6 each way (don't get me started! ) but, hey, you're there so you may as well do it. Skye will easily take you a whole day so don't plan to do much else - it's a big island.

One of the best roads is Lochcarron to Applecross - outstanding scenery also. If you take the ferry (above), it's only around 65 miles each way (but, depending on the ferry times, that could take a day or three!). If you go by road from Mallaig, it's around 140 miles each way. Either way, you'll either pass near or by Eilean Donan Castle at the top of Loch Duich which is one of the most picturesque in the country.

Plockton's pretty too (just up from Kyle of Lochalsh) and famous for being the setting for the TV series, Hamish Macbeth (no idea if that was networked).

You'll enjoy any of the roads there because they're relatively quiet most of the time, but it's quite a long trek to get anywhere from Mallaig by road. Fort Augustus (bottom of Loch Ness) is pretty and touristy. Can recommend the Lock Inn (by the locks - doh!) - ask for Pluto - and the Inchnacardoch Lodge Hotel (about 1/2 mile north on the Inverness road) - ask for Guy. Go monster hunting for Nessie up by Drumnadrochit and Urquhart Castle ....

Fort William is a bigger town and is the most accessible shopping centre. Ben Nevis and Aonach Mor (mountains, sir!) there too - there's a cable car up the latter which is good fun.

Great place to chill out. Whatever you do, have a great time! Oh, and Loch Morar has its own monster - Morag - I kid you not

Brian

[This message has been edited by HunterB (edited 09 April 2001).]
Old 09 April 2001, 04:02 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

West coast of Loch Lomand (though it can be very busy) up to Crianlarich, turn left to oban on the a85. Before Oban you can turn right across some bridge (connel ?) then go up the coast to fort william

You can't really go wrong...
Old 09 April 2001, 04:09 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, seems like there is plenty of scope for 'sport'

I'll watch out for Morag

Oh, and are there any revenue generators ... sorry, speed cameras to worry about???

Mike
Old 09 April 2001, 04:23 PM
ACA
Scooby Newbie

mmmm the Highlands

The best road for sheer speed IMHO is the A835 from Inverness to Ullapool and up the west coast to Cape Wrath (top left hand corner!). It is just stunning.

When you get to the top, turn around and do it all over again , go past Ullapool and take the A832 around the coast via Gairloch to Achnasheen.

From there turn south on the A890, this road is SO quick it beggars belief. It has been recently upgraded by the EU to major super-slab status, don't ask how fast I went down the long downhill section (you'll know it when you get to it )

Follow the A890 south to the A85 which has already been mentioned, you're back in civilisation then (well, relatively!), but the road is still quick and quiet. You can go to Skye from there or south (skye has some fun roads too).

Rannoch Moor (south of Fort William) is interesting, a real moonscape but I suspect that it has a high Plod risk to it nowadays. Basically the further you go from civilisation the quieter, and therefore better the roads are.

ENJOY!
Old 09 April 2001, 05:14 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

There are no fixed site speed cameras once you're North of Dumbarton. However, the plice are VERY active on the road up the side of Loch Lomond and tend to drive v quick stuff (loadsamoney in Strathclyde Plice). Once you're past Crianlarich, there's very little plice activity and they tend to drive Land Rovers (well, a 200bhp Omega or 250bhp Volvo ain't no good for climbing snowy mountains ). Highland Constabulary have been known to use mobile roadside cameras on A roads (can't remember what they're called, but they're briefcase-sized, so you need to be alert). But you'll be so much in awe of the scenery, you won't want to drive fast anyway

If you're going in the tourist season, take some good sounds with you to keep you calm behind the caravans ....

Brian
Old 09 April 2001, 07:23 PM
michael townend
Scooby Newbie

Mike
go to
Old 09 April 2001, 07:37 PM
haggis
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mikefyfe:
<B>In June this year I am going to dust off the London grime and head for Mallaig for a week.

Who knows of some 'good ' roads whereupon I can test out the scoobs qualities .

Also some good day-trips with appropriate stop-offs to amuse the kids (much though I would like to spend all day driving the scoob, I don't the wife and wee ones would be as chuffed )

Mike [/quote]
ooch laddie Malligs naw the best centre to tour scotand it's a deed end apart for the boatie o'er ta Skye.
beware of touroids,baa-lambs bambies and low flying highland scoobies.
Howerever check your mail for "feeder route to Mallig and enjoy.

Old 09 April 2001, 10:03 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Don't believe all you read about the plod.
They don't all drive landrovers up here in the highlands.
Cars to watch out for are black omega estate, T5 volvo and BMW -(don't know which model)also unmarked white Vectra.
Good roads are Through Glencoe - if no cars in the layby then no police. Fort William to Mallaig (I drive part of it everyday , good straights and bends. Also road to Ullapool from Inverness. Often traps in the 30 limits so slow down there.
Have fun - if you see a 5dr My97 green it's me.
Alasdair