Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power is too much power?

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2012, 12:11 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power is too much power?

Hi Guys,

I'm stuck. My car's in the process of having an engine rebuild and i have all the options in the world to play with.

However my car is not an Impreza. It is a Legacy. Slightly larger and more practical.

Now i'm very undecided as to what power figure to settle at. I've got all the suspension mods and brake mods so that is not an issue at all.

But and this is a BIG but i don't want to end up with a car so powerful it turns out to be a pig to drive around town. I know fuel consumption should not be mentioned but it would be nice to get around 250miles per tank on a motorway sloth (well above 200 anyway).

My aim is to create a very quick road car capable of playing with the big boys but still having some creature comforts. Basically it is not going to be a track or drag car however i know on track it can put up a good fight I want it to be able to drive upto the top of Scotland keeping a steady speed on the motorway whilst allowing me to have some fun once the motorways run out.

Now my question (or questions) going out to all those who own or have owned a big power (north of 400bhp for arguments sake) Subaru.

How was it like to live with as a daily proposition?

How well did/does it cope with traffic?

Was keeping traction an issue? (how about in the wet)

Would you do it again? If so why? If not why?

I know these are a lot of questions however since i'm at the epicentre of Subaru tuning knowledge i'd like some input from those who have been there/are there.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Shaid; 17 February 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 17 February 2012, 02:40 AM
Billet
Scooby Regular

Running around 440 bhp here.

My car is only a weekend car but i can't think of any reason why I wouldn't be able to drive it daily. The only thing that would become slightly annoying is my paddle clutch. If I were to do it again, it would either be an ACT organic from the states or an EXEDY twin plate. As long as you don't skimp on parts and cut corners, reliability shouldn't be an issue, it isn't for me. Starts first time and runs as sweet as a nut.

Apart from my clutch mentioned above, it's the same as stock in traffic, no overheating or anything like that. Very occasionally and i mean very, the idle speed may go up or down a 100 or so revs but that is because of the lightweight flywheel.

In the dry, the car just grips and pulls hard with no drama. I can put the power down in the wet too as long as i come on it gently, but if i plant it then it spins like a biatch, i find this exciting though.

Yes. because i'm addicted to power, the bug has bitten. Current power is enough for now but i will increase in the future. 450 - 470 BHP is a nice level, not too costly and a very big grin, anything beyond that becomes a lot more expensive and more unpractical for a daily driver.
Old 17 February 2012, 03:41 AM
Muhammad
Scooby Newbie

Random question, does anyone know where I can remap a hydra nemesis ecu near London, no one seems to have heard of it, already tried a few they cant do it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 17 February 2012, 05:15 AM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Muhammad
Random question, does anyone know where I can remap a hydra nemesis ecu near London, no one seems to have heard of it, already tried a few they cant do it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Few old Threads on here about them. Sure one of the resident mappers could advise.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...esis-ecu.html?

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ts-please.html
Old 17 February 2012, 05:07 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tazz,

Anyone else?
Old 17 February 2012, 06:06 PM
scoobyraj
Scooby Regular

Running about 450/420.
It's my daily drive (well, was, currently being made to use the train to London because of parking issues!).
Similar to what you're after, I wanted a well setup all-rounder road car. Litchfield T25.

Fantastic to have the feeling of unlimited constant power around town. Very punchy and responsive (decent twin scroll on 2.5L)
You said you'd sorted suspension but that was a key area....needed to handle town and hard drives but ultimately depends on the 'feel' you're after. Would you want to be able to change it?? Adjustable?? Firm it up for a hard drive or soften it a little for town and general commute.

It's variable. Low down, first thing, it's not the happiest. Especially when it's freezing outside. Cold map helps but once it warm it's obviously much better but that being said it's not great in slow moving traffic at any time. That's the annoying part. Heavy and jerky, it just doesn't like it, it's itching to go, poised, and at any suggestion by you that you might....it's off, it's too keen running that much power. If your daily drive doesn't involve sitting in traffic and is fairly steady moving and not gridlock or m25 jobby in rush hour it's not really a problem. A decent map will help to a point.
My old sti 350/350 was much better in traffic and just as fun though less quick.

No probs. Sensible handling kits make the difference.

Yes and no. Get/keep 2!!! I thought my wrx was the most 'liveable' daily drive if it's going to be in lots of traffic. My current is just a little annoying in heavy but makes up for it in every other way. I'd have both!

Ditto Tazz's comments
Hope that's helpful. Best of luck.

Last edited by scoobyraj; 17 February 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 17 February 2012, 06:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think you can get too much power but if I had to realistically say what would be a nightmare on the road and it would be 600bhp/600lbs. There would be so much torque steer it would just make you giggle on the roads.
Old 17 February 2012, 06:35 PM
scoobyraj
Scooby Regular

Ignore everything I said....just drove home...it's immense!
Old 17 February 2012, 07:19 PM
snake1906
Scooby Regular

currently have 2 maps 1 at 330 and the other at 420 both exactly the same untill you put your foot down
Old 17 February 2012, 07:24 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyraj
Ignore everything I said....just drove home...it's immense!
Haha
Old 17 February 2012, 09:10 PM
b3mwe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by snake1906
currently have 2 maps 1 at 330 and the other at 420 both exactly the same untill you put your foot down
Pah only 420
Old 17 February 2012, 09:15 PM
snake1906
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b3mwe
Pah only 420

lol dont start its 420 for now...... anyway how come you,v got time to be on here and not txt me back?
Old 18 February 2012, 12:25 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Where to start,we have Bugeye WRX wagon which now running 490bhp and here are answer on your question:

Our wagon has been designed for street,but after driving with twin plate,we are think best will be if wagon will be just for track days and some drag.

But still we are trying use everyday and how it feels,amazing power from low rpm and sound of PPG is worth every hassle with Twin plate

In our case,problem is Twin plate,but with slightly traffic friendly clutch don't think will be problem,city driving with Twin plate is something you should try before you are go for this...

Not really,we are drive like in heavy rain at this stage 450bhp on V-power and no problem with traction

Good tyres and good suspension setup with good brakes will help

Yes,definitely yes and really if we would go again with this build,i would go with 2.35L

Jura
Old 18 February 2012, 12:51 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura
Old 18 February 2012, 07:13 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I've seen some tuners say 450 is perfect for a road car.
Old 18 February 2012, 08:16 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Okay then at what level does it become a pita to use any of the power without ending up doing seriously license losing speeds?