Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat C damaged cars and repaired - would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2012, 10:17 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cat C damaged cars and repaired - would you buy?

As title says...

Would you consider buying a cat C damaged car, even if the damage was little, or big? ...and very well repaired so that you wouldn't be able to tell?

Cheers fellas

Last edited by LSherratt; 01 February 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01 February 2012, 10:22 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe, but only if:

a) I could see clear, documented, provable evidence as to what the damage was and who carried out the repair work, and

b) I planned to run the car into the ground, and never, ever intended to try and sell it other than as scrap metal, and

c) it was very cheap for what it is.

Otherwise: no, I'd go elsewhere. There's just no point taking the risk.
Old 01 February 2012, 10:32 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes I would but depends on what damage.

My old 2002STi had just under £10K spent on repairs but no structual damage to speak off

Bumper
bonnet,
Screen
wings
wheels
2 doors
2 wheels
Sill
rear 1/4 panel
rear bumper
Spoiler

but I knew full extent of damage and not worried as repaired without worry of cost but explaining this to a buyer would put of 99% of peeps off

Tony
Old 01 February 2012, 10:33 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Maybe a cat x or cat D if cheap but not a cat C. Cat C may have structural damage.
Old 01 February 2012, 10:37 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Apparently N/S sill replacement and N/S/R lateral links ?
Old 01 February 2012, 10:41 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

d yes as its only cosmetic, but c i would be wary you could have trouble insuring and c are usually heavy impacts and worth a lot less.
rather get an an uncrashed one.
love the lies people tell you when selling cat cs.
"only a light crash on a close"
Old 01 February 2012, 10:50 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

No need to buy an Impreza that's on the register, straight ones are so bloody cheap now.
Old 01 February 2012, 10:52 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

For me I wouldn't buy a car that was on the register unless it was stinking cheap.
Old 01 February 2012, 10:52 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
d yes as its only cosmetic, but c i would be wary you could have trouble insuring and c are usually heavy impacts and worth a lot less.
rather get an an uncrashed one.
love the lies people tell you when selling cat cs.
"only a light crash on a close"

Older cars like classics arre more likely to get a cat D where a newer car may just be cat x due to the parts being harder to get hold of for old cars.
Old 01 February 2012, 10:54 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Default No

Cat anything is ALWAYS minor damage only not possible imho as wouldn't be written off lightly ...

TX.
Old 01 February 2012, 10:57 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Mine is a cat c, I bought knowingly, the seller was honest, he had pics of the damage, paperwork to show the repair. It was cheap and very well repaired. I would have no issue buying another one. I would be careful tho, and ask questions.
I currently am considering buying a few cat c's in the near future to repair, as there seems to be a market in my area for this sort of thing. I will be offering independent inspections, pictures and honest sale at very good prices.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:02 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Cat anything is ALWAYS minor damage only not possible imho as wouldn't be written off lightly ...

TX.
d panel damage usually, uneconomical to repair .
but c not for me usually a big shunt
Old 01 February 2012, 11:04 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Cheers for replies so far
Old 01 February 2012, 11:11 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

cat c
suffered significant damage and insurance company deemed not worth repairing, be very careful purchasing these vehciles you need to know who has completed repair and it needs checking by DoT testing station, as a rule if properly repaired should not be any different regarding insurance unless it is a performance vehicle. to be honest it needs to be very very cheap personally i wouldnt touch one for any money. you will also struggle in the future when you try and sell it.
Cat D deemed not finacially viable by insurance company but can be a good buy

i would think anyone trying to pass a cat c of as only light panel damage is telling porkies as that damage would be classed as d.

Last edited by tubbytommy; 01 February 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:17 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

i would and have bought many, people automatically assume cat c is far worse damage damage than cat d but this is far from it there are some cat d with far more damage that cat c's
, the fact is that the there are many cars on the road that have been repaired by insurance body shops that if written off would be border line cat b, my own car was damaged in 2009 and was cat c for a wing side lamp and bumper repair.

Last edited by my94wrx; 01 February 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:20 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by my94wrx
i would and have bought many, people automatically assume cat c is far worse damage damage than cat d but this is far from it, the fact is that the there are many cars on the road that have been repaired by insurance body shops that if written off would be border line cat b, my own car was damaged in 2009 and was cat c for a wing side lamp and bumper repair.
wing, sidelamp and bumper.
surely that would be cat d, why was it give cat c status? dont you need cat c's vic tested after repair?
if there is no difference between the two why have them??
i am genuinely interested in the difference if anyone knows?

Last edited by tubbytommy; 01 February 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:24 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

To be honest I think it's all swings and roundabouts when it comes to classing whether a vehicle is recorded as a cat C or D. I look at it as if the repair has been done well and isn't noticable, then why not grab a bargain?

Last edited by LSherratt; 01 February 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:25 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

cat c
suffered significant damage and insurance company deemed not worth repairing, be very careful purchasing these vehciles you need to know who has completed repair and it needs checking by DoT testing station, as a rule if properly repaired should not be any different regarding insurance unless it is a performance vehicle. to be honest it needs to be very very cheap personally i wouldnt touch one for any money. you will also struggle in the future when you try and sell it.
Cat D deemed not finacially viable by insurance company but can be a good buy

i would think anyone trying to pass a cat c of as only light panel damage is telling porkies as that damage would be classed as d.

a VIC check is soley for the purpose confirming the identity of the car in question, not the quality of the repair.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:27 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

they are a bargain but when it comes to selling the cat status may put people off and makes the car worth less so you dont really gain.
its not as if there is an impreza shortage, unless it was very cheap id get a undamaged one.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:27 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

wing, sidelamp and bumper.
surely that would be cat d, why was it give cat c status? dont you need cat c's vic tested after repair?
if there is no difference between the two why have them??
i am genuinely interested in the difference if anyone knows?
it should have a been a cat d but who is to argue with a estimator.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:28 PM
scouser321
Scooby Regular

i would and have bought many, people automatically assume cat c is far worse damage damage than cat d but this is far from it there are some cat d with far more damage that cat c's
, the fact is that the there are many cars on the road that have been repaired by insurance body shops that if written off would be border line cat b, my own car was damaged in 2009 and was cat c for a wing side lamp and bumper repair.
agree with above.

A friend of mine has just had his mondeo tdci bumped. Guy basically reversed into it from 2ft away trying to get out of a parking space.

a burst radiator which he has now replaced and the car is back on the road. The insurance gave a list of 10 items that needed replacing including a wing, intercooler and front bumper/grills. It is now a CAT C.

Some are obviously ok, but there are probably others at the other end of the scale which shouldnt be back on the road.

Just be carefull
Old 01 February 2012, 11:30 PM
the hamster
BANNED

I was lucky when I bought my cat C. The previous owner had pics, reports, full breakdown of part/costs/repair etc so I knew exactly what I was buying. Its certainly better to know, rather than just seeing it on the logbook and wondering what happened.

My friends got given a C recently on a bugeye after getting hit on a roundabout. Damage was wing, rear door, bumper, foglight and alloy wheel. More and more are getting written of now as we found out that the courtesy car costs are taken into account when valuing the claim and paint/labour costs take the repair to over 60% of the cars value.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:30 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

it should have a been a cat d but who is to argue with a estimator.
true, but surely a cat c is worth less than a cat d on resale and harder to shift as most people,myself include assume a c is worse than a d.
can you get it changed???
Old 01 February 2012, 11:31 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

they are a bargain but when it comes to selling the cat status may put people off and makes the car worth less so you dont really gain.
its not as if there is an impreza shortage, unless it was very cheap id get a undamaged one.
Im ringing up tomorrow and hopefully be able to get hold of pictures showing the damage. If he has them, Ill post them on here. He said it was near side sill replace and n/s/r lateral links.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:32 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by the hamster
I was lucky when I bought my cat C. The previous owner had pics, reports, full breakdown of part/costs/repair etc so I knew exactly what I was buying. Its certainly better to know, rather than just seeing it on the logbook and wondering what happened.

My friends got given a C recently on a bugeye after getting hit on a roundabout. Damage was wing, rear door, bumper, foglight and alloy wheel. More and more are getting written of now as we found out that the courtesy car costs are taken into account when valuing the claim and paint/labour costs take the repair to over 60% of the cars value.
efa the bugs a d
Old 01 February 2012, 11:34 PM
the hamster
BANNED

not according to the owner and the report it isnt. I take it you know my ex then?
Old 01 February 2012, 11:35 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

the problem with people selling damaged cars is they always say it was only a wing etc, if they provide before during and after pictures and reciepts for parts and jig work etc then people would be less put off assuming the price is correct, but as you have said the price between straight and registered imprezas is so close you would always get a straight one.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:35 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by the hamster
not according to the owner and the report it isnt. I take it you know my ex then?
yes and its a d . i read the report, new bumper,wing and rear door. foglight was not damaged.

Last edited by tubbytommy; 01 February 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:49 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

selling it on afterwards could be an issue and insuring it is not as straight forward as a regular car. some insurance companies wont touch it especially if it is not standard. just make sure it comes with all the relevant documentation regards to the repair especially the vic check and an independant enginers report to say the repairs have been completed to a satisfactory standard.
also make sure you have the mot report/certificate that would have needed to be completed after the repair.
Old 02 February 2012, 12:04 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

as said above the bug had light panel damage and nothing structural and that was a d, so what makes a c?

Quick Reply: Cat C damaged cars and repaired - would you buy?