Sponsored by:

Car broken into - for £1.20!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2002, 09:44 AM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Not my Scoob, thankfully, but yesterday my wife's Golf GTI was violated while at Potters Bar (Herts) train station car park. I am still struggling to understand the mentality of the thieving scumbags that did it, because:
- car has Thatcham 2 immobiliser / clifford alarm, all the usual flashing LEDs & stickers etc
- full steering wheel (silver ) disklok
- face off stereo
There were NO visible valuables. They appear to have "screwdrivered" in between the lock / panel on the passenger side, alarm had been triggered, the fuse box cover was displaced (obviously looking for the "press here to turn off alarm switch" ) and they managed to get away with £1.20 in change from the ashtray. WHY?

The car next to us had a missing window! The station staff said that 5 cars had been reportedly broken into. My real anger is towards those who maintain the car park itself. Yes I know all about the "cars left at owners risk" b0llock5 but, there are 2 CCTV cameras, pointing at the platforms!!! There is also a tree lined footpath which gives ideal access from the rear of the car park, to nearby housing estate. This could easily be fenced off so that once on the footpath out of the station you cannot access the car park directly. I estimate that this car park must generate somewhere in the region of £200 - 250,000 a year!

What else can we do to protect our property???

Rant over

Editted to say we have reported the crime to the police in order that we "become" part of the statistics!

[Edited by Kempo - 5/1/2002 9:47:21 AM]
Old 05 January 2002, 04:14 PM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

Also DONT leave credit card receipts on show in the car, or in the car at all.

we have had glass claims when this has been the only thing missing!!

Jeremy

[Edited by InsBro - 5/1/2002 4:16:00 PM]
Old 01 May 2002, 10:50 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Angry

Same thing happened to my Wife's new MX-5 AND there was nothing stolen that time either!!

My neighbour's car was broken into in Tesco's car park of all places! When they found nothing to steal the tossers vandalised his car and caused £2,000's worth of damage.

What is the point of that?

I understand how you are feeling completely, you must be gutted.

Mark.
Old 01 May 2002, 10:52 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Saw a guy break into a car for a packet of crisps when he came out of a club one Saturday night
Old 01 May 2002, 11:16 AM
carpet
Scooby Regular

what flavour ?
Old 01 May 2002, 11:30 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

lol Carpet

Apparently he didn't like the flavour and tossed 'em after the first couple!

A friend with him did however capitalise on the break-in and went back for the stereo.
Old 01 May 2002, 11:36 AM
carpet
Scooby Regular

Imagine your dissapointment when you have broken into a car to get a bag of crisps only to find out they are a minging flavour !!

Guess he had to go get a kebab like the rest of us !!
Old 01 May 2002, 12:52 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

The moral of this story is:

Don't leave anything on display that you wouldn't leave on the roof of your car - because if they want to take it from the roof, they'll smash a window for it....

Try to leave glove boxes open and empty, as well as boot covers on 5drs so they can see nothing in there to steal.

Happy motoring.
F
Old 01 May 2002, 12:54 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

...like the Govt ad on telly said when the guy robbed the change from the car - "its enuff fer a pack of ****..."

...bad luck mate
Old 01 May 2002, 04:06 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

cheers guys - those crisps must have been Beef & onion walkers, minging!!!

I agree with leaving the glove box open. The only other thing to do is to smash the window yourself and make it look like it's already been robbed

Glad she didn't have the scoob of course!
Old 01 May 2002, 04:17 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

You could have absoloutely nothing in your car worth nicking, if some little bollox's want to break in for a laugh they will ( they know they can run away if the alarm goes off )

Like you say, you pay to park in their car park, so why cant whoever owns it protect it with a roving patrol !! ?? Most people would even pay a bit extra a day for the peace of mind

Old 01 May 2002, 05:01 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

my pug got broken into. they stole my life times collection of cd's worth over 2000 pounds which was hidden away, all my jackets i had at the time as i for some reason left them in the boot, harness pads, and my can of red bull in the glove compartment! hate they bunch of people! they are the scum of the earth! They caused about 500 pounds worth of damage to the car door and lock. still haven't had the money to fix the door. the cd player faceoff unit was hidden but not to hard to find but they left that but besides the fact i changed stereo and put the last one in to my ma's car only to find out later it got nicked as she left the faceoff there! It happened on a b-day party in St. Patricks day! thought the car park had cctv.
Old 01 May 2002, 05:06 PM
Thunderbird555
Scooby Regular

One of my friends had her car broken into. They only found out there was nothing worth taking (she had taken the face-off stereo with her) after they had done the damage. These highly intelligent criminals chose to smash the window by the baby seat - Result baby seat full of broken glass.

She went the the carpark management and asked about the CCTV cameras only to be told that there wasn't any footage available as they'd all been facing the other way that day!
Old 01 May 2002, 06:22 PM
Sieze
Scooby Regular

When I had an Mx5 I just left it unlocked. The cost of a new hood and/or lock damage is too high. If they want to have a look around they could (nothing was kept in it). It did have a clifford immobiliser though.
Old 01 May 2002, 06:28 PM
chips
Scooby Newbie

Had my scoobys passenger window put through about three weeks ago.I was working away in Plymouth for the weekend and in the early hours of the Sunday morning was woken by the hotel receptionist telling me that my car had been broken into. I spent the next few hours cleaning as much of the glass up as I could and then spent a sleepless night trying to keep an eye/ear open in case the boneheads returned.All of this for the princely sum of 15p in coppers from the ashtray.The worst thing was that I had to drive 250 miles back to the Midlands the following afternoon in monsoon conditions after finding out that the 24 hour window replacement companys were decidedly un-24hours.