Sponsored by:

Oh God I've only gone and crashed it!

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2001, 07:19 AM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

My MY00 is currently being fixed at a cost of £3000 after a minor skirmish with a kerb on a country lane. No injuries etc but what is giving me nightmares is the effect on my insurance at renewal. I've got no claims bonus protection but can anyone tell me how this will effect my annual premium, cos I know it will!
Will it be time to buy a 10 year old fiesta to replace the best car I've ever driven?
All replies gratefully received....
Old 07 April 2001, 07:43 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

With protected NCB, the effect will be minimal, and far less than the amount premiums have risen anyway over the past 6-9 mths
Old 07 April 2001, 07:48 AM
SUPERCAR-KILLER
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thank youre lucky stars youve got protected no claims.
SK
Old 07 April 2001, 07:51 AM
SUPERCAR-KILLER
Scooby Regular

CLS where in lancs are you,where and what happened.
Old 07 April 2001, 10:12 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Smile

Don't worry! You are allowed one own fault accident with out it making a difference to the premium. If you have got protected no claims then you wont be losing them either. Not a problem, thats what insurance is for.
Old 07 April 2001, 04:04 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Boost II,

Not true, I'm afraid, at least as far as my insurance companies have been concerned.

Protected NCB protects just that - your No Claims Bonus. But that doesn't mean to say that your premium won't go up, before the application of your NCB.

It's a cruel world out there!

Pete
Old 07 April 2001, 04:54 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Minor skirmish, £3000! I wouldn't want to see you have a major shunt!

Seriously I hope you are OK and your premium isn't affected!

Bob

PS I've got a seven year old Fiesta if your interested!

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2001, 05:33 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Question

This sounds too good to be true! I was convinced that my full no claims bonus would be intact but the premium before the discount would go stratospheric leading to a massive increase. I'm starting to feel a little better.
The circumstances...tight right hand bend on unlit country lane. I wasn't even travelling quickly, mud on road. The car just slid slightly but at this point in the road there was a kerb. At first I thought there was only a little cosmetic damage to the sideskirt. Checked in daylight...new nearside wheels, suspension, tyres, sideskirt.As I pointed out above I wasn't even driving quickly, not a hint of whiplash or injury. I've played it back in my mind a 100 times and still don't understand how such a minor incident at that speed could a) happen at all at less than 30mph in a 60mph zone and b) cause so much damage. My confidence in the cars and my own abilities were a bit shaken but not as much as the horrible thought that despite full protected no claims bonus I might have to sell my pride and joy due to an increase in premium.
Old 07 April 2001, 05:35 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Bob.T after PeteC's reply I might be in touch
Old 07 April 2001, 07:26 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Ahhh, I'm looking at buying a scoob,hmmm!!

Bob
Old 07 April 2001, 09:08 PM
nigelm
Scooby Regular

Smile

Depending on your policy wording you would normally be allowed two your fault claims before your protected ncb would be reduced. After your third claim in say a 3 year period the % of ncb would be reduced, not to zero but say from 60% to 45%.
Old 08 April 2001, 07:06 AM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I dont suppose anybody could tell me roughly how much more this will cost me. I pay about £800 at the moment...
Old 08 April 2001, 07:54 AM
SUPERCAR-KILLER
Scooby Regular

Whay are you worrying about i am paying £1900.00 for mine
sti 5 type r 3 yrs no claims 29 yrs old clean licence etc, if i had a bump it would definateley be ta ta to my baby.
SK
Old 08 April 2001, 01:09 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by CLS:
<B>I dont suppose anybody could tell me roughly how much more this will cost me. I pay about £800 at the moment... [/quote]

In a word - NO - not without knowing your age, claims history etc and then it is up to your insurance company, they are all different.....you will have to ask them...

Re extent of damage, 1300KG plus of car hits a solid object, sideways, at speed....there is a lot of kinetic energy to dissipate - I am surprided the damage was not a lot worse...

And PLEASE lets not turn this into yet another "aren't all insurance companies a bunch of robbing ba5tards" thread......it is irrelevant that your NCB is protected - if your insurance company is going to pay a £3000 loss that is three or four years premium, and any profit whatsoever to them, wiped out. The insurance industry is already paying out £115 in claims for every £100 in premiums it gets - OF COURSE your premium is (and should be) going to go up. The last time I looked the insurance industry wasn't registered with the Charity Commissioners...

Old 08 April 2001, 02:25 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PeteC:
<B>Boost II,

Not true, I'm afraid, at least as far as my insurance companies have been concerned.

Protected NCB protects just that - your No Claims Bonus. But that doesn't mean to say that your premium won't go up, before the application of your NCB.

It's a cruel world out there!

Pete[/quote]

Pete, I understand that the premium is set before any application of no claims bonus and often NCB is not worth much because of this. However I was told by my insurers that I could tell them I had had an accident that was my fault and make a claim and it would not affect my premium. Renewal has no come around yet so I might just be deluded but that was the way I understood it.

CLS,

Find an online quotation site and see what difference it makes changing some of the details.

Old 08 April 2001, 02:39 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

CLS...

I did exactly the same in my last car at about 50-60mph. Both n/s wheels, n/s front bottom wishbone, rear stub axle, cracked spoiler and side skirt.

I really knew I had clouted the pavement as I flew down the road diagonaly... Power down and steer recovery...

No problem at all with insurance - my fault entirely - protected NCB; used up one of my 3 lives. No affect to the premium - that's what I have protected NCB for!

NFU insurance mind you...

...©