Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru 'Struggling' (as a company)?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2012, 06:12 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru 'Struggling' (as a company)?

I read this in a headline to a road test of the new SUV in Saturday's Daily Telegraph Motoring section.

I'll admit I rarely see any of the newer cars of any model on the road and the writer said their sales were down in 2011 compared to 2010.

Are they in trouble, or is it just symptomatic of the current overall depressed economic conditions?

Last edited by Osimabu; 15 January 2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Missed an 'e' from 'compared'
Old 15 January 2012, 06:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Are we are talking UK here or worldwide?

I thought in places like Aus and the US they were still doing OK.

In the UK the economy and the exchange rate won't be helping them, but then there is the Impreza hatch debacle.

In 2007 82% of the cars Subaru sold in the UK were Imprezas, they had to get any replacement right..... they didn't at least not for the UK.

Sales have been declining ever since but at a far greater rate than the industry average. I know the usual suspects will accuse me of taling a pop at the hatch again, but this time I am not... just reporting the cold hard facts! It is a sales failure in the UK!
Old 15 January 2012, 06:22 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The new XV will fill a gap in market that they've not got.

BRZ well we will see what happens

Last edited by rob84; 26 January 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 15 January 2012, 06:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its mainly the UK that are not doing so well, I.M. really have run subaru into the ground over here they hold virtually no spares and then you are left either waiting for parts from the continent or from japan, either way it could be 4-6 weeks before you get them...

The sales in the US are much higher and Subaru in Japan are doing ok as car companies go

Tony

PS to make a point of what F1 fan has said, a single skoda dealer sold more cars in a weekend than subaru sold in the UK in a month!
Old 15 January 2012, 06:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by rob84
half of the trouble is they dont listen to the customer or the dealers on what cars people want. They just do there own thing.

we asked for a diesel auto in the legacy and outback...the answer NO
we asked for a legacy saloon..... the answer NO

They think the new XV will fill a gap in market that they've not got.

BRZ well we will see what happens

Great wall of China cars, coming to an IM dealer near you (I jest you not )

Tony
Old 15 January 2012, 06:43 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Great wall of China cars, coming to an IM dealer near you (I jest you not )

Tony
I know, I was down at Ryder street on a Subaru course looking at the rip off copy of the Isuzu rodeo pickup, old out dated technology is all I can suggest
Old 15 January 2012, 06:48 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Nail on head with the economy and exchange rate, sales have dropped due to the vehicles being over priced because of the YEN vs GBP.

Last edited by rob84; 26 January 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 15 January 2012, 06:56 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

There is no doubt they are struggling.

My own view is they have made some terrible commercial decisions over the past couple of years. Marketing has been a true disaster, as has any kind of customer focus.

Vehicle trading has been difficult over recent times and given the previous loyalty of Subaru owners you would have thought one of there main focuses would have been to go the extra mile to retain there customer base. Sadly in many areas they have taken short term views and they continue to pay the price.

The BRZ looks quite tempting to me but the loyalty i once felt dissapeared quite a while back.

Subaru appears to still do well in many parts of the globe but i would not be at all surprised if they dissapear in the U.K

Last edited by mickp; 15 January 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 15 January 2012, 07:04 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Its mainly the UK that are not doing so well, I.M. really have run subaru into the ground over here they hold virtually no spares and then you are left either waiting for parts from the continent or from japan, either way it could be 4-6 weeks before you get them...

The sales in the US are much higher and Subaru in Japan are doing ok as car companies go

Tony

PS to make a point of what F1 fan has said, a single skoda dealer sold more cars in a weekend than subaru sold in the UK in a month!
Ive never had to wait longer than 24hours for a subaru part! Is this parts for a classic or newage?
Old 15 January 2012, 07:47 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

Visited Australia last autumn, over a four week period I saw dozens of 2011 saloon WRXs (non Sti) on the road. I've seen just one STi saloon in the UK.
Old 15 January 2012, 08:07 PM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
Ive never had to wait longer than 24hours for a subaru part! Is this parts for a classic or newage?
I'm currently into my third week of waiting for classic parts from Japan (non in stock in uk)
Old 15 January 2012, 08:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

They HAD a rally car.
They HAD it's fanbase.

They squandered both by pure greed.

They have been ripping off the UK compared with Japan and the USA for years.

But could get away with it because of the above two items: now BOTH have gone.

There are better cars out there for the money now.
Old 15 January 2012, 08:15 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D6ale
I'm currently into my third week of waiting for classic parts from Japan (non in stock in uk)
Well mines a Hawk and ive not had any problems. Maybe its just for the older cars. I think they only have to supply parts for 20 years under trading laws in the uk?
Old 15 January 2012, 08:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think its mainly a EU thing, I don't think International Motors are helping IMO:

Other failings they try and make the Impreza more family orinated (hatch etc), then try and make the Sti trendy by slapping on four tailpipes and some naff lexus(ish) lights. urg.

When really they should be importing this:

A SEVEN seat Subaru turbo!! (its an Exiga by the way)

Also the Legacy needs a hot Sti turbo version to be imported to make it a class leader for those who are now too grown up for chavvy Imprezas ( me ).

Although the Leggy is a bit ugly these days, but Subarus are supposed to to look quirky ( but not ugly, i.e blob/bug/hawk ).

Oh yes, they need to be cheap again. Impreza Turbo was the cheapest fast car money could buy. It'd wipe the floor with anything in the same price bracket and more expensive stuff too. Nowadays, its priced roughly the same as similar performing cars giving poor VFM. Although due to crap residuals and low demand a second hand scoob is a bargain these days.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 January 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 15 January 2012, 08:22 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I think its mainly a EU thing, I don't think International Motors are helping IMO:

Other failings they try and make the Impreza more family orinated (hatch etc), then try and make the Sti trendy by slapping on four tailpipes and some naff lexus(ish) lights. urg.

Also the Legacy needs a hot Sti turbo version to be imported to make it a class leader for those who are now too grown up for chavvy Imprezas ( me ).

Although the Leggy is a bit ugly these days, but Subarus are supposed to to look quirky ( but not ugly, i.e blob/bug/hawk ).
I know it would be a boring old world if we all like the same things but WTF ?? That Exiga is fugly, the sort of car my gran would drive. Also how can you call the Hawk ugly. You have no taste sir !
Old 15 January 2012, 08:26 PM
craigfturbo2000
Scooby Regular

That exiga is shocking... Looks like some well cheap chinese jobby, but thats just my opinon.
Old 15 January 2012, 08:38 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigfturbo2000
That exiga is shocking... Looks like some well cheap chinese jobby, but thats just my opinon.
And an opinion i share!
Old 15 January 2012, 08:43 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The problem in this country is everyone's stopped spending. dept can't be re paid if everyone's out of work that leads to weak £ that leads to importing goods costs being pushed out of reach ........
Everybody needs to spend a bit here and their and we'll get our second wind...it all comes from this knock on affect and this government that noone voted in to power in this now dictatorship ain't helping....
Bring on the revolution lol
Old 15 January 2012, 08:58 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

My old local Subaru dealer, Showells near Stourbridge has gone, its now a Hyundai dealership, not sure the where the nearest Subaru dealership is now.
Not surprising though you hardly see any new Subarus on the road.
Old 15 January 2012, 09:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
I waited over 4 weeks for a basic sensor that should have been in stock for a new age car, and I know of a 2009 model Subaru that had to wait longer than that for rear brake discs, and 6+ weeks on another car under 5 years old waiting for a gearbox!
Old 15 January 2012, 09:17 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I waited over 4 weeks for a basic sensor that should have been in stock for a new age car, and I know of a 2009 model Subaru that had to wait longer than that for rear brake discs, and 6+ weeks on another car under 5 years old waiting for a gearbox!
Thats not good at all mate. The only parts ive had to order for mine was both wheel arch liners, a washer jet and a headlining trim plug. Recieved all within 24 hours. Maybe i was just lucky.
Old 15 January 2012, 09:19 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i imagine recent parts supply problems will have been effected by the quake/tsunami?
Old 15 January 2012, 09:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Oh yes, they need to be cheap again. Impreza Turbo was the cheapest fast car money could buy. It'd wipe the floor with anything in the same price bracket and more expensive stuff too. Nowadays, its priced roughly the same as similar performing cars giving poor VFM. Although due to crap residuals and low demand a second hand scoob is a bargain these days.
Nice to see the rest of the range is as butt ugly as the Impreza hatch!

If this is the best they can do the sooner they are gone the better IMO!
Old 15 January 2012, 09:43 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by dj219957
i imagine recent parts supply problems will have been effected by the quake/tsunami?
These were before then
Old 15 January 2012, 10:15 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx9181
The problem in this country is everyone's stopped spending. dept can't be re paid if everyone's out of work that leads to weak £ that leads to importing goods costs being pushed out of reach ........
Everybody needs to spend a bit here and their and we'll get our second wind...it all comes from this knock on affect and this government that noone voted in to power in this now dictatorship ain't helping....
Bring on the revolution lol
Short term memory failure... remind me who exactly voted for Brown?