Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide which one to keep...

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2012, 04:59 PM
*_Ste_*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide which one to keep...

After getting a replacement for my poor old WRX that's been off the road for over a year it's time to start breaking it for parts...

Thing is I've kinda got attached to it and been through a lot with it and I'm now unable to decide if I should break it or rebuild.

One definately has to go though so opinions please everyone.

First up is my MY94 WRX:

Good bits: really good body, no rust, new clutch and flywheel, mainly stripped so ready to spray, early import so doesn't need a cat

Bad bits: bottom end failure, no keys, needs a bit of electrical work

Or MY98 Turbo 2000:

Good bits: much prefer the facelift interior, it's running

Bad bits: boot is damp, needs a windscreen, bit of a crunch going into 5th unless double de-clutched, power steering goes very light then very heavy for first ten mins or so of driving, occasional slight thudding noise when accelerating from rear passenger side

I've got enough bits lying around to make a decent car out of one them, just need injectors and remap for the keeper but which one
Old 15 January 2012, 05:10 PM
Christof89
Scooby Regular

Can't you make a good car out of the both of them? Then sell the remaining bits off!
Old 15 January 2012, 05:25 PM
*_Ste_*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Christof89
Can't you make a good car out of the both of them? Then sell the remaining bits off!
Unfortunately not as I'm getting married soon and got a baby on the way. Also getting less hours at work thanks to the recession.

If I keep the WRX the Turbo 2000 will go later in the year to fund the engine and respray, if I keep the Turbo 2000 the WRX will be sold as a shell or weighed in for scrap with me keeping the gearbox etc for spares.
Old 15 January 2012, 05:27 PM
scoobychris300
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

hi mate , the million dollar question! , if one has to go! would its colour help you decide??
all the best chris ..
Old 15 January 2012, 05:34 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd keep the WRX and finish it off, you sound quite attached to it, and you will get more breaking the Turbo 2000 as you could sell the shell ready to go rather than weigh it in for scrap - keys are an easy fix, just swap the locks from the 2000
Old 15 January 2012, 05:46 PM
*_Ste_*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
I'd keep the WRX and finish it off, you sound quite attached to it, and you will get more breaking the Turbo 2000 as you could sell the shell ready to go rather than weigh it in for scrap - keys are an easy fix, just swap the locks from the 2000
Now I like this idea, plus it got a frown from the future mrs instead of the usual stern no

Thing is I just dont really have space for stripping both cars and tbh i'm not much of a mechanic. I'm willing to have a go and have stripped most of the interior, body panels and engine ancilleries but just don't have the tools, equipment or know how to get the engine and gearbox out so would need to sell the Turbo 2000 mainly to pay fitting costs on the engine
Old 15 January 2012, 05:51 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

If the engine is good on the 2000, run it until the bodywork is finished - swap the engine over onto your good gearbox and clutch. Depending were you are you may find some willing helpers on the forum who would do it for tea and biscuits - I know a number of us in MSOC who have spent an afternoon in the pissing rain rectifying the uneducated modding of one of our members, welding and all to fix it

Just a thought
Old 15 January 2012, 06:04 PM
*_Ste_*
Scooby Regular

That's exactly what I was just thinking, spend the summer doing what i can on the WRX then swap engines when the Turbo 2000 comes up for its MOT.

Will the engine fit though? It's a phase 1.5 so different turbo entry, coil pack location, intake manifold etc.

And i really like the face lift interior but read earlier that it's a real pain to swap over...

I'm in Derby btw, don't know if that's anywhere close to you.
Old 15 January 2012, 06:11 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I'm quite a bit further south, just outside Watford

Not to au fait with classics, most of my experience is on newage cars