Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2001, 05:47 PM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend a fitter who will be able to fix me up with a tow bar (Ideally removable) for a '94 WRX? Based in or around London please.

Old 02 April 2001, 06:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Your local friendly Subaru dealer can sell you one - it will fit perfect - it will be lockable and removable and of the finest hand crafted steel

Seriously though the Subaru towbar is the Poodles privates - the elctrics are easy too!

I would get a man to do the mechanics, but the electrics are so easy I would do that myself - just a connector.

I would assume yours is a grey import but it shouldnt be too much different in the towbar department?

pete
Old 05 April 2001, 04:05 PM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pete, I shall contact my local friendly Subaru Dealer forthwith.

Peter.
Old 05 April 2001, 04:25 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Mine is a UK car but I am having a trailer company fit a tow bar tomorrow... just a normal one which is not removable.... but it is more than half the price of the Subaru one... you pays your money and take your chances I guess.
Old 05 April 2001, 09:57 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

im getting a removable one that will be £100 cheaper than subaru's, they seem a bit pricey??

tiggs
Old 05 April 2001, 10:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tiggs - you get what you pay for - I have had cheaper on other cars and after a few months they were rusty

My Subaru one is still perfect - nice lock on it too!

Buy the best

Pete
Old 06 April 2001, 11:41 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

>>Buy the best
join the army? oh no thats be the best isn't it... well the catch phrase is anyway.

well if my cheap tow bar rusts then I shall have to get some of my trusty black hammerite out....

What prices are we talking? the one I am having fitted is £158 fitted... I don't know any other details until I get there at 2. If it looks pants then I won't get it.

Old 06 April 2001, 01:28 PM
Tim Skerry
Scooby Regular

Make sure you get the electrics done right. You should have a dash bulb (in one of those blank spoaces) to flash when the trailer is plugged in and you are indicating. I don't know if that is a legal requirement these days - naturally you are unlikely to be done for not having one, but it is good to know that your signals work when you are towing.
You can naturally just tap into the loom at the back and take the wires to the socket, and I was tempted to do mine but in the end, as it was wet and cold, I got it done, and Pulleyn Subaru fitted mine for £30 less than they quoted on the phone because the job took less time than they thought.
Old 06 April 2001, 05:46 PM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Tiggs, where are you getting this from?

As it's only a tow bar, I'm not to fussed whether it rusts or whatever, but I do want a removable one. Anyway, As it's for towing & launching a boat, the wet & salty nature of this job will probably make anything rust! Also, mine is a Jap import, so Subaru will probably tell me to PI$$ off if I try and buy one from them!

Cheers,

Peter.
Old 06 April 2001, 08:38 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

mine is from a local fitter ive used before, im sure most fitting co. can get them, will be about £270 all done- thats a lot cheaper than subaru who charge for the bar, the electrics and then fitting. i was told well over £300 by them

tiggs
Old 06 April 2001, 10:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If you dont care if it rusts in 6 months and looks cr4p then get the cheapest you can - thats easy.

The electrics are simple - there is a connector in the rear of the car - just plug them in - the indicator on the dash is a simple job to, the electric kit comes with a stronger relay off which comes the repeater indicator - drill a suitable hole in one of the spare switch blanking plates on the car and there we have it (30 mins for the electrics)

Pete