Sponsored by:

Do I get a Scooby??? Of course I do!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2001, 04:05 PM
Student bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks to everyone out there for replying to Gridlock Mike's note on whether a mate of his should get a Scooby. That mate was me, any I have decided to bite the bullet and get one.

I have put a retainer down on a RB5 at my local dealer. All being well I pick it up on Wednesday.

Being new to Sccobies I would appreciate anyones comments on whether they think it would be worth extending the 1 years warrenty it already has. I know they are generally solid and not much goes wrong but £500 seems reasonable for an extra two years.

Finally if there are any tips on making sure that the beast doesn't bite me when driven quickly (but safely within the speed limits of course!) please let me know.

Cheers

Steve
Old 30 March 2001, 04:12 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

YES YES YES YES.

RB5 has standard engine and clutch of UK, and I have known a few that have suffered from piton slap, and short block failure, as well as juddery clutch.

Definitely a good idea.

Just out of interest, as a student, how old are you?

On another note, congratulations, you have bought an awesome driving machine and will not be dissapointed for one sec.

Both of my imprezas were the best thing i ever bought.
Old 30 March 2001, 04:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Hiya student,
500 quid seems pretty good to me now as for biting, imprezas suffer from lift off oversteer, ie dont brake in the corners or she'll be passing where the front of your car use to be and probably ending up going through something (soft hopefully!)
Thats your biggest down side, rest is dont over do it until you get use to the car and run it up and down properly or you may have problems later on in life

Tony
Old 30 March 2001, 04:31 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Adam,

RB5 is a '99 Phase II engine, much much less prone to piston slap than the infamous MY97 and MY98 engines!

Student geeza,

The RB5 has a good solid lump, and not at all stressed, should last forever if looked after properly (do NOT, under any circumstances neglect the oil, OK?). Clutch judder affects all scoobs, can be temporarily fixed by a few high power launches (deglazes the clutch).

I have NEVER heard of a block failure, but IM were swapping short blocks (ie block, crank, rods, pistons) to fix the slap problem. Not sure about RB5s, they aren't that prone to it.

As for extended warranty, yes do it... you only need one awkward thing to go wrong and it will have paid for itself.. scoobs are a bit of a pig to work on for certain stuff, so this can make the labour costs spiral.

As for driving... well, use common sense, and don't forget that 4 wheel drive is good for going forwards, but no better for not going forwards (ie braking). Beware lift off oversteer, the car will stick to the road like the proverbial brown stuff to a blanket, but lift off mid corner and it end up facing the wrong way if you're not careful! Oddly, the "correct" thing to do, rather than to lift off or brake is to floor it! This will pull it round, but it goes against any natural reactions you may have!

Enjoy.... and if you wanna find the handling characteristics on the limit, go to an airfield, the runnoff is sooooo large you cannot spin off!

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 01 April 2001, 02:52 PM
Student bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers, I'll make sure I don't lift-off.

Just to let you know - I am not a student any more. It is a nickname given to me from my student days at university by by non student mates. I am actually 25 and no longer a tax dodger.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve
Old 01 April 2001, 08:25 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

lol....I was a bit envious there for a while...
I was thinking how much I would have loved to have had a scoob when I was a student

Niall
Good luck with the RB5 ....I'm sure you'll love it!
Old 01 April 2001, 11:16 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey NAF, I DID have a scoob when I was a student! But that was when I was a 31-yr-old "mature" student, as opposed to the days of real teenageism and my Dutton Phaeton, a much loved Kent-powered bathtub.

Thought I was the king of the hill until I saw the Evo VI in the car park... Some things I will never understand!

BJH
Old 02 April 2001, 08:16 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Student bloke,

whats the 2 year thing then? is this an extension to the existing 3 year 60000 mile warranty?

If so, before taking it out consider whether you are going to do any serious mods, if you are then IMHO its not worth taking out.
You also need to consider as the car gets older and older and the mileage goes up, then more and more things are going to be wear and tear as opposed to being a warranty covered fault.

robski
Old 02 April 2001, 04:17 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

lol Brendan
Old 06 April 2001, 09:55 PM
Student bloke
Scooby Regular

Cheers,

I decided to get the extended warrnty (2 extra years on top of the standard 3 years)as 500 quid it is not a lot considering how much I have just paid. I think (for now anyway) I'm going to keep it pretty much as standard, different exhaust system but thats it.

I picked the RB5 up on Tuesday
Its standard spec, non prodrived, F*&K me I love it. I've already done 400 miles.

I ve just changed the stereo (standand unit) to a ALPINE unit. I would definitly recommend it. It sounds so crisp and sharp with all the bass you need without lossing the top end.

I keep hearing about clutch judder. PLEASE could someone tell me what I should be looking for so that I can spot it (and not just think its me - being new to scoobies) and hopefully get it sorted on the manufactures warranty

Cheers

Steve

:
Old 06 April 2001, 09:58 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Cool

Get some professional driving tuition

Do a search on here for the Wetter the Better driving course which everyone seems to rave about.

Cheers
Richard