Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

£2000 Budget which performance mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2001, 11:17 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming I'm on a budget what would people suggest as the best mods on an sti import?

I'd love a Motec but understand that I'd need a lot of money - about £2.5k for the system fitted?, water injection and a decat exhaust - a bit outside my price range

Perhaps I should save up? - or are there any better systems out there for the money?

Thanks in advance

Don
Old 04 April 2001, 11:34 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Now after a lot of experience with this I can only reccomend you change your exhaust 1st and buy some Brakes! All the rest can come later.

Old 04 April 2001, 11:41 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Any comments on which exhaust

Which are the best brakes - AP's/Brembo - or is a disc/pad upgrade good enough - outside of a trackday

Thanks again

I have heard that a Blitz sounds nice - anyone out there got any links to or havee any soundfiles on various exhausts including this one

Don
Old 05 April 2001, 01:23 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Don,

I'd suggest that you base your mods on the areas that "YOU" feel need addressing. This will depend largely on your driving style.

Most of the power gains from an after market exhaust system come from a decatted down pipe, and pipe diameter (depending on where you want the power gains) with little coming from the back box. The back box can pretty much be chosen based on it's sound, and looks.

On the road, if driven hard, the brakes are barely adequate, on the track, next to hopeless. Both AP, and Brembo are very good products , but I guess Brembo bought AP for a very good reason. Probably their disk technology

Most people find the cars understeer too much, and it would be worth getting the geometry set up correctly. Most of the people who have had the "bump steer" altered, swear by it.

It's always hard to work out which product to go for, as most people will only have tried one version of an upgrade, without the opportunity to compare it to the alternatives.

Try and get to some of the trackdays, and meets, so that you can check out the options in the flesh.

Mark.

Old 05 April 2001, 09:10 AM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

How about a damn good holiday to Australia instead
Old 05 April 2001, 12:13 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Exhaust wise I would go for the BPM System! looks and sounds great, Use the search Button and im sure others will agree. Im waiting for my new Twister to arrive.

Brakes wise, It seems AP's are the trend even though AP and Brembo are the same Company. I went for AP's after careful consideration into the differences and there isn't much but AP perform excellent on the Road and even better on the track.

Hope it helps
Old 05 April 2001, 07:40 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a wrx sti version iv type-r coupe, and my car is currently in the garage.

What I am having fitted is the following:

HKS Racing Suction Kit
BPM TD38 Twin Dump Exhaust
HKS Hiper Exhaust System

( I am also getting my bearings done - but that is not really relevant to this but It hought I would just mention it)

I got the parts from branco at brdevelopments.. I am also looking into around may maybe a bit later getting the car fitted with a piggy-back ecu, and then maybe next year bigger turbo and engine? but not sure yet depends on how it goes..

Though I cant comment on what I have had done yet - it should hopefully be out tomorrow - but, what i have heard, it is meant to be a very good system - though expensive.

[This message has been edited by ChristianR (edited 05 April 2001).]
Old 05 April 2001, 10:47 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Thanks

Cant say I've heard of BPM. Anyone got any sound files of this one? (yep I know its sad!)

I've just found out that AP brakes are about £1600 and that excludes fitting! (a mate used to work at AP coventry - dont know if this is still the case - but I'll see if I can get them alot cheaper!)

I know about the Scooby understeering - very badly in the wet!

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll sort out the suspension and brakes first - I've seen many cars perform so much better in real life with no performance mods over a car with more power but none off the said mods

Anyway....

Don

Perhaps I'll go for a trackday to see just how bad things are? - I looked at Easytrack but everything always seems either booked up solid for the next 6 months or is on a weekday! - is there anywhere else that is better than Easytrack?
Old 05 April 2001, 11:20 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Spend your first £20 joining the SIDC
Old 06 April 2001, 08:34 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Fangoria:
<B>Perhaps I'll go for a trackday to see just how bad things are? - I looked at Easytrack but everything always seems either booked up solid for the next 6 months or is on a weekday! - is there anywhere else that is better than Easytrack?[/quote]

there's a place in Linconshire
Old 06 April 2001, 01:37 PM
Tim Skerry
Scooby Regular

Water injection? In this country? Hardly a priority really.
Maybe spend £1.5K on the exhaust and brakes and the rest on better security to make sure it stays with you.
Old 06 April 2001, 05:02 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

I think the water injection is so that you can run higher ignition advance through the rev range (and especially higher up the rev range) to minimise det. Something to do with lowering the charge temps

To be quite honest its above my capacity for understanding such technical stuff - I'm just repeating what I was told.

I was informed that water injection was a 'must' to maximise the potential of the Motec ecu

I think I'd just buy the Motec for the antilag alone - but its too pricey really! and no doubts sends the insurance thru the roof!
Old 06 April 2001, 05:41 PM
SUPERCAR-KILLER
Scooby Regular

Smile

My reccomendation would be hks super drager full de cat system,hks afr unit,some good quailiy mudflaps and a good set of 4 pots on the front with racing pads, if its an older sti youll need calipers if not just the pads, dont bother with 6 pots as youll have to change the wheels as well hope this helps as its worked wonders on my sti 5 type r.
SK