Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling up for s3.

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2011, 07:29 AM
ad uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling up for s3.

hi guys thinking of giving up the scoob . for an audi s3 52 plate the older shape does anyone else have one or know how good or bad they are thanks guys
Old 14 December 2011, 07:34 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Good luck staying awake!

Theyre not slow but theyre sooooooooooooooooooooooo boring! soulless understeery euroboxes.

Each to theyre own and all that but id stick with the scoob!
Old 14 December 2011, 07:34 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought about doing that a while ago, but e-gleaned that they were boring and uninvolving to drive so kept the scooby

Edit: ha, he beat me to it
Old 14 December 2011, 07:41 AM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Keep the scoob mate I have a mate with the Audi and he's had problems with the cam shaft and fuel pump think it's a common problem with them.
Old 14 December 2011, 07:48 AM
terrycollins999
Scooby Newbie

S3's are very nice cars... refined,confortable quiet etc. however for excitement they do not compare with the Subaru. I test drove a 2010 model with the 2.0T engine, very disapointing compared to the car I had at the time a BMW 335D.

You may as well pickup a Skoda Octavia VRS or any other VAG group 2.0T or 1.8T car for less and re-map and invest in some other performance tweeks.

Good luck anyway, take fun and exicement out of the equation they are a great car.

Terry
Old 14 December 2011, 07:53 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...3-quattro.html
Old 14 December 2011, 07:54 AM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had 52 for a month crap no fun at all slow. Great car to drive nice smooth lots of gadgets but straight back to a type r scoob . Great on petrol to .
Old 14 December 2011, 08:03 AM
mrred
Scooby Newbie

What do u want a generator for m8
Old 14 December 2011, 08:40 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I don't think the quattro system is all that hot either...

Have we slated the S3 enough now
Old 14 December 2011, 10:26 AM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

No
Old 14 December 2011, 11:01 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leecalcars
No
you're right...

Rich man's ST
Old 14 December 2011, 12:29 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Over priced and not worth it. Lol why do you think everyone went quiet in the WMI section when you mentioned it.

If you do go and buy one just remember you might come up against a Subaru. I'm just saying thats all lol
Old 14 December 2011, 12:52 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

the cupra r is the best of the 1.8t platform and will map to 280bhp, they handle better, have better brakes, steering etc than the s3, just no quattro, but that robs alot of power from the car, personally think onced mapped there a better daily drive than the scoob, i have had three of each
Old 14 December 2011, 01:23 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

as well as my wrx i've also got an my2000 s3 as my daily runner and they are a very good car. They're easy to drive, half descent fuel economy and extremely comfortable. It's not as much of an aggressive drive as my scooby, it's a more refined drive, power delivery is smoother, the gearbox is perfectly set up for the power and with a milltek exhaust fitted it sounds the part too.

With a remap they are a quick torquey car with a nice sound throughout the rev range. Mines currently 260bhp with 285lbft trorque. It handles just as well as my scoob and is just as quick. Anyone who says they are slow and boring have more than likely never been out or driven in one. You get a lot more for your money than you do with a scoob and as with most things german they have good reliability to boot.

Whats the spec of your scoob i could be tempted to do a deal with you.
Old 14 December 2011, 01:34 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove one once.
The steering was woeful.
It felt like the steering wheel was connected to a series of pulleys which eventually turned the wheels.
Old 14 December 2011, 02:23 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
as well as my wrx i've also got an my2000 s3 as my daily runner and they are a very good car. They're easy to drive, half descent fuel economy and extremely comfortable. It's not as much of an aggressive drive as my scooby, it's a more refined drive, power delivery is smoother, the gearbox is perfectly set up for the power and with a milltek exhaust fitted it sounds the part too.

With a remap they are a quick torquey car with a nice sound throughout the rev range. Mines currently 260bhp with 285lbft trorque. It handles just as well as my scoob and is just as quick. Anyone who says they are slow and boring have more than likely never been out or driven in one. You get a lot more for your money than you do with a scoob and as with most things german they have good reliability to boot.

Reliability is not what I've heard. A mate owns a '03 and has quite a share of problems. Enginebay pipework and seals being top of the list to need replacing
Old 14 December 2011, 02:23 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

What's the weight of the Cupra?
Old 14 December 2011, 03:02 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Reliability is not what I've heard. A mate owns a '03 and has quite a share of problems. Enginebay pipework and seals being top of the list to need replacing
seals and pipework etc are minor items to change really, the only main seals to leak are the injector ones and thats an half hour job to do, the rocker cover gaskets is a bit more involved but that itself is only an hours graft if that. Both of which are easily accessable as they're at the top of the engine. It's not as bad doing these quick jobs than swapping say the big ends on a flat four, it's also not as expensive either. The only real pain in the **** with these is doing a clutch, the box is a bit of a nauz to get off.

As for weight of a cupra, i havent got exact figures but id stake a guess at about 1200-1300kg's
Old 14 December 2011, 03:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Don't do it. Get a later model (06 onwards? ) with gen 2 haldex and 2.0 engine. (haldex = quattro on the A3/S3 )

Gen 1 haldex cars are rubbish...they may as well be front wheel drive. Typical wet road+full throttle scienario: Turbo kicks in - front wheels spin up, then the haldex thinks, hmmm, shall I engage or not, oh, go on then, then finally 3 seconds later you have traction as the rear wheels start getting the power.

Understeer comments are bit unfair as they are about as understeery as a unsorted Impreza; If you want good turn-in both are rubbish TBH. Even my old (and sorted) XR3 was better

Also thing to note; better off boost torque than a typical 2.0 Impreza...i.e its not quite so dead in the water below the spool point.
Old 14 December 2011, 09:18 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine after my first impreza and to be fair it was a good car, lacked punch fom the turbo, had mine re mapped to 265bhp along with other mods like exhaust filter and so on, and transformed the car on the performance front, but as mentioned they do understeer a bit but no worse than a standard scooby.

If you fancy it go for it they are good cars had mine 3 years and not a days trouble to be fair, but you do get good cars and bad cars.
Old 14 December 2011, 09:33 PM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

I had a 225 s3.

Like said in std form they arn't the quickest and the turbo lacks, was great after a remap filter ect... very nice to drive/quiet/great build quality but just lack the fun factor.

Quattro dosn't feel as good as the scoobs permanant awd.
Old 14 December 2011, 10:15 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

Adam don't do it! You have a nice Impreza and are a great WMI member
Old 14 December 2011, 10:38 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by B4D HK
Adam don't do it! You have a nice Impreza and are a great WMI member
The chairman has had his say. The choice should be easy now mate.
Old 15 December 2011, 11:15 AM
DanAmo
Scooby Regular

My mate has the 3.2 quattro A3. And there is no way on gods green earth id swap my scoob for one. First gear is useless, boring to drive, Granted its pretty nippy but excitement just is not there for me. My little 02 hyundai coupe puts a bigger smile on my face.

Of course these are just my opinions fella. You will no doubt make your own mind up.
Old 15 December 2011, 11:35 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If you go down that route then IMO don't bother with the S3 and buy a Cupra R.

Drove an S3 and didn't really like it - the nipper felt sick in the back too so pretty much put an end to buying it. We have an oil burner Leon and would be very happy to move to a Cupra R.

Cupra R also got the Haldex but not in the UK.
Old 16 December 2011, 07:46 PM
ad uk
Scooby Regular

it has a pretty decent spoec m8 version 4 559 red uk car but full sti bebuild engine receipts to prove black leather the prodrive ones with red piping. arc coilovers. prodrive 18s, white line anti lift kit in black simtec ecu with a/l l/c 800cc injectors fmic fuel reg walbro fuek pump vf 34 turbo mapped by andrw carr receipts for everything all work carried out by pole position loads more goodies on it aswell m8