Sponsored by:

Just back from Cornwall - 1,157 miles, mpg stats etc

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2002, 10:48 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

So, just got back from a family holiday in Cornwall. There and back in the 5 door WRX from Essex, no problems at all.
For anyone who's never been to Cornwall with their Scoob - DO IT!! Especially when the kids are at school, so the roads are quieter. The A38 and A39 have to be some of the best safe fast driving roads in the country, and the A30 and A303, especially west of Exeter, has to be this country's closest thing to an autobahn - what a road. 70mph never seemed so leisurely. Ahem.
Did a proper mpg test as well, which encompased motorway cruising as well as some really "enthusiastic" runs when the opportunities arose. Used Optimax throughout, and returned 25.38mpg for the 1,157 miles, which i didn't think was too bad.
Only hitch was a stone dent in the front of the bonnet, other than that wouldn't have wanted to be in any other car. So there!

Terry
Old 28 April 2002, 11:13 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Terry - sounds great, Mate. Is it a MY01/02 wagon?
Old 29 April 2002, 10:03 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

The A38 plymouth-Exeter rocks! Had 114 out of my Pug 305 SR estate down there! Mate saw his VTR1000 off the clock too! (27 minutes from exeter airport to Marsh mills!) I did it a 4am once, didn't see one other car.
I'll get the chance to play on it next week when I visit the mainland. Portsmouth-Maldon-Lowestoft-Bradford-Blackpool-Alton towers-Brackley-Exeter-Plymouth-Poole in one week!
Old 29 April 2002, 10:12 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cool Tel!
im off down there myself in 3 weeks! MY00. mine returns 28 mpg at a steady 70/80 and yes its a Turbo!
only trouble is the steady 70/80 LOL it seems to creep up!

What part did you go? we're off to PerranPorth? hope the weather is o.k so my little one can play on the beach!

If not roll on Majorca later on!

Lee
Old 29 April 2002, 10:14 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Harry,

Nope, good old Mk1 - a 1997 in fact. Relatively standard, except full decat exhaust and ITG filter, but still there in about 265bhp. Enough not to have to get involved with any daft "have a goers", most importantly! Just blow them away. And having Brembos/AP's really makes roads like that so much better - knowing you can stop quickly when a tractor unexpectedly appears!
Oh, and forgot to mention - the road to Tintagel is right up there too. Much more entertaining than the castle ruins you see when you get there..!!

Terry
Old 29 April 2002, 10:15 AM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

Glad you had a good time in our fair land peeps, i'm sure you are all as safe as houses, and don't want to start anything here but we honestly do get more than our fair share of bad accidents on those roads, and what with summer coming and all, I wouldn't want you to think that Cornwall's roads are any safer than the M4....they're not ... and the (often damp, greasy, and foggy) twisties can catch out even the most skilled emmets from time to time, so if I catch you speeding on our roads i'll be after you with my pasty gun

Take care out there....
Old 29 April 2002, 10:28 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Lee,

Stayed on a farm near Wadebridge. If anyonew wants an absolutely top recommendation of an ultra child-friendly, great facility, reasonably priced holiday farm location, e-mail me for details. We went last year too, and are booked in for next year already!

Crispin - fair call. You only need a light shower with all that tractor mud and it could all get very ugly. But i'd like to think i drove responsibly - i probably thought i was going faster than i was as i think the average age of the drivers around me was about 87.5 (no offence intended!). And there's always the failsafe speed limiter, aka the wife...
Old 29 April 2002, 10:45 AM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

LOL, what you mean the BSA (beaded seat army)?

Talk about us lot driving fast, they are some of the scariest drivers i've seen in my life, and all at under 30 mph!!!

Sorry to hear about the Wifeincaritis too, thats a nasty disease, I have a few friends who caught that, plays havoc with the eardrums.....and no known cure either.....

Old 29 April 2002, 12:03 PM
Baby Scuff
Scooby Regular

Telboy did you stop in the shell Garage in Ashburton halfway between plymouth and exeter, the one with the scooby dealership attached, if so what time?
Old 29 April 2002, 12:11 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Yep, did Ashburton on the way back on Friday, must have been midday or thereabouts. In fact, i remember that's when i noticed the stone chip/dent on the bonnet - wasn't best pleased. Unfortunately didn't have time to peruse the dealership - next time!!
Old 29 April 2002, 12:41 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Glad to see you found some empty roads down there! I gave up with Cornwall a few years back as I couldn't stand the traffic, but this was in the high seasons.

The oldies down there have a habit of habitually stopping at roundabouts and junctions, you can almost hear their thought processes - "I must stop even though the road is clear for miles, because I know that there will be a milk float along here very soon and it'll be going very fast..." (and all in a Cornish acent).

F

Old 29 April 2002, 02:22 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hope you noticed all the speed cameras on the A30 and A38.

I counted four between Exeter and Newquay on the A30 last time I was down there.

I go down every year for the Surf.

Lee
Old 29 April 2002, 02:40 PM
Baby Scuff
Scooby Regular

I work there! was moping around there waiting for my misses to finish work about friday lunch time you might have seen me in the shop
Old 29 April 2002, 03:04 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

glad u enjoyed your hol down our way tel.

certainly are some good roads around devon . cornwall/

i'm on dartmoor which is gr8 roads but you have to be careful these days cos of sheep, horses, cows and as the year progresses bloody grockles

the ashburton dealership is gr8.

bought my my00 there.

in fact just been there having a chat about recommended tyres with the service manager.