Sponsored by:

BELT or BEARING squeak?? help guys

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2011, 03:22 PM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BELT or BEARING squeak?? help guys

Hi friends,i have posted this subject a few weeks ago but with no joy in fixing the problem. i have a an impreza wrx 53 plate blobeye.

iv recently had a full service and a full cam-belt kit change complete with tenioners, but now when i start my engine from COLD, i get i repetitive chirping sound from the engine bay for about 10mins until the engine gets reasonably warm. its fine after that, so i think something is expanding with the heat. iv stood around and looked in awe numerous times to try and find it.

iv tried making the alternator work a little harder by switching everything on, iv tried loosening the power steering/alterntor belt a little for a couple of days.
iv tried the power steering by putting it on full-lock either way.
I'm pretty sure its not the air-con.
iv done all my general car checks etc.

I'm under the impression it may be a belt/bearing rubbing,.. in my own opinion. but how can i check and locate these bearings???? sorry I'm not really car savvy,.. i would appreciate any help as it hasn't gotten worse, but its been bugging me for over a month..

it sounds as if it may be coming from the right-centre of the engine, underneath a little

thanx in advance
Old 05 November 2011, 03:30 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

You could remove the auxiliary belt completely and run the engine. If the noise is still there it's gotta be coming from the timing belt. If so take it back to who ever fitted the belt.
Old 05 November 2011, 03:30 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Who did the cambelt change mate? On my classic I had a similar problem as there is a roller/idler fitted on the right hand side which didnt come with the cambelt kit. It looks like this

http://www.importscoobyparts.co.uk/p...er-ej205-v5-v6

Not sure if theyre fitted to the later models but its located roughly in line with the aircon pump on the cambelt.

From the sound of it, you have a dry bearing somewhere, if it was something rubbing it would do it all the time, it wouldnt go when the car warms up.

Only way you're going to find it is to take the cambelt covers off and run the car unfortunately.