Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilema- Scoob or MK5 Golf GTI (help!)

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2011, 07:42 PM
WRX_NOOB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilema- Scoob or MK5 Golf GTI (help!)

Hi people, I hope you can help as i am having trouble deciding whether to come back to the world of subaru and need advice.

I currently own a E60 530i m sport and have owned lots of quick motors including e46 m3, integra type r, Subaru bugeye wrx, Accord type r, etc, etc.

I have a small child who is 13 months old and am expecting another pretty soon. I am in the process of selling the 5 series and have given myself a 6 grand budget for my next car.

Question:

Do i go for the golf GTI mk5 which is easily mapped to 250bhp and offers german build quality and comfort or go for the family sized WRX/STI Scoob which may be slightly loud for the children??

Question 2:

I have seen some great examples of Blobeye WRX scoobs going for around £4k which enable me to purchase some budget stage one mods which i believe will get me to the 270bhp mark. My previous unmapped bugeye WRX felt very slow, however i am interested in the potential once mapped. Or am better off getting a standard STI?

Sorry for the number of questions, however i am very interested in exploring the Scoob route again but just need some reassurance....

Cheers!

Last edited by WRX_NOOB; 28 October 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 28 October 2011, 08:06 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Definitely the STi
Old 28 October 2011, 09:14 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i got an STI and twin girls who are 2 years old, Had it since they were born,my car is modified and loud but to be honest it does not bother them at all when they are in the car, ride some times can be a bit hard on rough roads mind, I think you will have the best of both worlds to be honest, a nice size family car with plenty of room in the boot for the buggy and something you will keep you satisfied when you fancy a bit of squirt down when your in on yor own..so you can see what gets my vote..[img]/happy-smiley-70.gif[/img]
Old 28 October 2011, 09:20 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_NOOB
Hi people, I hope you can help as i am having trouble deciding whether to come back to the world of subaru and need advice.

I currently own a E60 530i m sport and have owned lots of quick motors including e46 m3, integra type r, Subaru bugeye wrx, Accord type r, etc, etc.

I have a small child who is 13 months old and am expecting another pretty soon. I am in the process of selling the 5 series and have given myself a 6 grand budget for my next car.

Question:

Do i go for the golf GTI mk5 which is easily mapped to 250bhp and offers german build quality and comfort or go for the family sized WRX/STI Scoob which may be slightly loud for the children??

Question 2:

I have seen some great examples of Blobeye WRX scoobs going for around £4k which enable me to purchase some budget stage one mods which i believe will get me to the 270bhp mark. My previous unmapped bugeye WRX felt very slow, however i am interested in the potential once mapped. Or am better off getting a standard STI?

Sorry for the number of questions, however i am very interested in exploring the Scoob route again but just need some reassurance....

Cheers!

id try and buy the 170 golf tdi and remap it it will waste a scoob ive driven one
Old 28 October 2011, 09:27 PM
kj200sx
Scooby Regular

would get the scoob IMO don't think there is any question really mate
Old 28 October 2011, 09:34 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by lee mclaughlan
Well i got an STI and twin girls who are 2 years old
did that come as a package or was it a factory upgrade
Old 28 October 2011, 09:38 PM
the hamster
BANNED

oh, and for 6k I wouldnt be looking at WRX's, if I had 6k there would be a JDM bugeye outside my house or an Sti.
Old 28 October 2011, 09:41 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the hamster
oh, and for 6k I wouldnt be looking at WRX's, if I had 6k there would be a JDM bugeye outside my house or an Sti.
he cant have a bugeye, the ugly thing will scare his kids!
Old 28 October 2011, 09:42 PM
Woody2509
Scooby Newbie

Default HELP!!! Boot dimensions??????

Originally Posted by lee mclaughlan
Well i got an STI and twin girls who are 2 years old, Had it since they were born,my car is modified and loud but to be honest it does not bother them at all when they are in the car, ride some times can be a bit hard on rough roads mind, I think you will have the best of both worlds to be honest, a nice size family car with plenty of room in the boot for the buggy and something you will keep you satisfied when you fancy a bit of squirt down when your in on yor own..so you can see what gets my vote..[img]/happy-smiley-70.gif[/img]
Hi there,

I'm currently looking to get an STI however, the only thing im fearing is the boot size as I too have twins on the way and worried the double wide not back n front type buggy will fit, can anyone tell me the dimensions as i cant find them anywhere. Ie flat floor space length x width and what the witdh is of the boot opening ie the free air space ill be passing the buggy through to fit. Many thanks to the LEGEND that tells me the answer

I pray it will fit heaven have hell if i need an estate cuz the misses wants her fancy buggy grrrr
Old 28 October 2011, 09:42 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Morettes make it all better tho
Old 28 October 2011, 09:45 PM
justin_watson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Woody2509
Hi there,

I'm currently looking to get an STI however, the only thing im fearing is the boot size as I too have twins on the way and worried the double wide not back n front type buggy will fit, can anyone tell me the dimensions as i cant find them anywhere. Ie flat floor space length x width and what the witdh is of the boot opening ie the free air space ill be passing the buggy through to fit. Many thanks to the LEGEND that tells me the answer

I pray it will fit heaven have hell if i need an estate cuz the misses wants her fancy buggy grrrr
I don't know the exact dimensions mate but I can fit 2 prams and a weekly shop!
Old 28 October 2011, 09:46 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Morettes make it all better tho
and some of this.

Old 28 October 2011, 09:53 PM
Woody2509
Scooby Newbie

anyone go a tape measure and able to measure the opening of the rear? I'll be foreve in your debt I live out in the stick otherwise id go to the nearest garage that sells em and just test it
Old 28 October 2011, 10:43 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Ask the same question on the golf owners club and 99% will vote the VW.

I love Subaru's and have owned many different models. My current one is truly awesome and is the most fun I've ever had in a car.
But, I also have a young daughter and my family car is not a Subaru.
Old 28 October 2011, 10:58 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Sorry to burst your bubble but I had to buy a Citroen Picasso to fit in all the stuff that follows a family of 4 / 5 around ...... and then another, and then another

The Impreza is an expensive toy compared to getting the kids to football / swimming..

Shaun
Old 28 October 2011, 11:01 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

german build quality
Don't be fooled...................
Old 29 October 2011, 12:03 AM
harry_p1
Scooby Regular

Ive got a Hawkeye and wifes got a Mk5 GT my sons 2yrs 4 months and he never gets in the Golf without kicking up a fuss, Open the Subaru door hes straight in up and climbs into his car seat wanting his belt done up. Now its clear what he prefers
Old 29 October 2011, 12:15 AM
scoobyraj
Scooby Regular

Scoob. No doubt. STI but drive one first. If the suspensions a little firm then the wrx is a well set up family car! Or get sum AST's on the STI then can firm it up for playtime!

If u want a bigger boot....wagon??

Or even....legacy...damn good car, spec b if you want the power and poise. Not sure about prices tho! If it's in budget it's probs best option.
Stick with subaru.....the german build isn't all that!
Old 29 October 2011, 12:46 AM
w44syf
Scooby Regular

sti mate
Old 29 October 2011, 08:01 AM
L&G.scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick172sport
id try and buy the 170 golf tdi and remap it it will waste a scoob ive driven one
Really??? With a £6000 budget I dont think so. I bought MY03STI ppp and insured it and I would hope my 330 HP would keep up with a 170 golf tdi.
Old 29 October 2011, 10:42 AM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

UK STI will need a remap, its rather limp out of the box at just 265 bhp.
Go JDM or get one already decatted and remapped.
As previously stated, as this is a Subaru forum, your responses will be somewhat biased

Last edited by s70rjw; 29 October 2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 29 October 2011, 10:43 AM
williewrx
Scooby Regular

i went from a 06 wrx 2.5 Hawkeye to a 07 mk5 170 gt tdi. The main reason was the excessive annual miles i do (mpg)
The Wrx was great fun but would only have another as a "toy", As for performance comparisons the Golf s torque is amazing and would be similar to the scooby when overtaking after "hooking" 4th gear (50mph - 100mph in a blink)... but from low gear starts, without any form of 4wd the golf is left behind scratching for traction ...by which time the scooby is 1/4 mile down the round & the driver has the largest smile on his/her face....
Old 29 October 2011, 07:28 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by williewrx
i went from a 06 wrx 2.5 Hawkeye to a 07 mk5 170 gt tdi. The main reason was the excessive annual miles i do (mpg)
The Wrx was great fun but would only have another as a "toy", As for performance comparisons the Golf s torque is amazing and would be similar to the scooby when overtaking after "hooking" 4th gear (50mph - 100mph in a blink)... but from low gear starts, without any form of 4wd the golf is left behind scratching for traction ...by which time the scooby is 1/4 mile down the round & the driver has the largest smile on his/her face....
dont think it would in the dry
Old 29 October 2011, 08:14 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

did that come as a package or was it a factory upgrade
Came as a F*****G suprise i can tell you....[img]/happy-smiley-575.gif[/img]
Old 29 October 2011, 08:17 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

I had exactly the same thought a month ago, so went for the scoob as I have a mk6 golf as a daily car, but i would take the scooby everytime if i could. I am not losing out on anything and if you need it a bit more refined then get the car soundproofed and your done.
Old 29 October 2011, 08:20 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Woody2509
Hi there,

I will get them measurments to you tomorrow buddy, I have a double buggy and its not to bad to put in to be honest, will put a pic up for you as well if you want..

I remember my Mrs making me bring one of my friends scoob around first before she would even consider changing the car,to see ifthe pram would fit, but i bought here a bora in the end, did not want her using the scooby..all part of my master plan..[img]/happy-smiley-575.gif[/img]

Last edited by S3LDM; 29 October 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 29 October 2011, 10:24 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick172sport
dont think it would in the dry
In the dry, no frost, no ice, no snow, straight line, 30-60 in top gear then the golf may stand a chance.