ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2011, 06:33 PM
Ahhh Moneypenny
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilema

I have an 11 year scooby, runs fairly well (touch wood), probably needs a new gear box in the next year, lots of little cosmetic bits need doing that will add up:
Wheel refurb (all)
rust on wheel arch and small dent needs sorting (friken shopping trolley did the dent)
motor on drivers side electric window replacement
rear electric window doesn't work at all
subwoofer rewiring and refitting
rear speakers blown
rear callipers need either a massive clean and paint or replaced

Dilema = I haven't got the skills to do do the work myself so there would be labour on top, do I pay through the nose to get all of these jobs done, when I know some of them with a little supervision I could do myself? It is getting to the point now where it is starting to look tatty as all of the jobs are building up. I love the car so much, but I will honest, some of the jobs I haven't got the physical strength or know how. I could really do with someone either taking it off my hands (really a last resort) or much better for me someone supervising and advising on where to get parts and how to do the work myself, any ideas? And hello by the way hope am in the right place
Old 05 October 2011, 06:39 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

some of the things you have listed are really easy mate, window motor replacement, subwoofer wiring, rear speakers , rear calipers, you could look all them up easily enough on how to sort.

failing that ask in the regional section if someone local might be able to help? maybe offer them a few beer tokens. only small stuff there though mate so would not cost much.

wheel refurb might be around 50 quid per corner? and you have not mentioned extent of cosmetics but if its painting or filling that will be the most expensive and require the most labour and also gearbox when that gives up the ghost
Old 05 October 2011, 06:45 PM
Ahhh Moneypenny
Scooby Newbie

cheers will try the regional section then, guess I have no confidence in doing them and don't want to mess it up more, the door motor especially really confuses me! Thanks though
Old 05 October 2011, 07:05 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Just had my wheels refurbed, including taking the tyres on/off and balancing for £35 each and theyre stunning.

Rear window not working is likely to be the switch which is a couple of quid. Speakers are a few screws and again a few quid each. If they are standard single pot rear brakes then theyre a few bolts and about £50 a pair to replace.

Why does the sub need rewiring?

Basically, youre looking at about £300 in bits, including the wheel refurb then proberbly £100 to someone to do the work. Rear arch will be the biggest pain and most expensive part, depending on how far gone it is. You might want to get a quote from a bodyshop for the dent and arch.

Shame you dont live closer as theres a few lads round here that could help you and have spares laying around.
Old 05 October 2011, 07:21 PM
Ahhh Moneypenny
Scooby Newbie

rear speakers need replacing so am guessing that more than a few quid? Are the callipars only 50 quid to replace? The sub for some reason cuts out every now and again with no base sound at all then just comes back on again it actually needs fabricating into the boot as currently held down with bungies but the spare wheel is sitting underneath so a false floor need to be put in the boot, cheapest quote I could get for a spray on the wheels is £60 each as they are pretty bad. The motor on the door is completely gone and needs replacing so would need to source a new one and fit it, alot could be done myself but I would no way want to do it on my own