Scum, snapped off my wing mirror :(

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2011, 03:40 PM
agoutimonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Scum, snapped off my wing mirror :(

Hey guys,

Was a victim of some mindless criminal damage last night. My car, amongst 40 others in my area last night had their wing mirrors snapped off by 2 blokes walking around with a lump of wood

Got a question for you guys please, mines a 2007 (hawkeye) Sti Limited in Crystal Grey. It the driver side mirror that has been vandalised, the actual mirror and the casing is all fine and in tact, its effectively been broken at the hinge. Rather than repairing it which i imagine will mean the wing mirror is then always 'out' (i always tuck them in when parked), I'd rather replace the whole thing.

Does anyone know if the same mirror is used across multiple years (as in are the blobeye ones the same as these?) Also I noticed the majority of the wing mirror is black plastic with only a part of the cover in the paintwork colour - does anyone know if this 'cover' detaches from the wing mirror? Just thinking if I find one of a different colour I could swap them over...?

Hope someone can help fairly soon..

Cheers

Last edited by agoutimonty; 29 August 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 29 August 2011, 03:54 PM
grievsa93
Scooby Regular

best thing i would do, is take it to a subaru dealer, if they are too expensive, get the model number off them and search the internet for one

Good Luck mate
Old 29 August 2011, 04:15 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

breakers or ebay fella,
easy to fit 3 bolts and uplug the wire,
i think blobs and hawkeyes are all the same and even the colour doesnt matter as the coloured plastic part removes from the mirror and can be refitted to any other mirror as it just clips in
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...ht_2221wt_1139

would'nt bother with the dealer unless you dont mind paying over the odds, only reason to use dealer is if you want a new part.
Old 29 August 2011, 04:21 PM
tezjucodie
Scooby Regular

have a look in the car breaking section on here mate maybe there is someone with one
Old 29 August 2011, 05:09 PM
agoutimonty
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, very helpful and good to know the plastic does come out. Just looking to get a used one and change the plastic over in that case.

Think the mirrors look the same on the blobeye, anyone know for sure ahead of me buying one?

Cheers!
Old 29 August 2011, 05:17 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

yes blob and hawk are the same black outer piece with coloured plastic insert that clips in.
i have a blob and removed the plastic bit to have it repainted due to stone chipping.
bugs will fit but are one piece solid coloured versions.
the insert is not easy to remove and requires a bit of force but does come off, fitting is easy.
remove black plastic triangle shape cover on the inside of the door, undo screw and wiring plug and remove.
Old 29 August 2011, 05:31 PM
agoutimonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
yes blob and hawk are the same black outer piece with coloured plastic insert that clips in.
i have a blob and removed the plastic bit to have it repainted due to stone chipping.
bugs will fit but are one piece solid coloured versions.
the insert is not easy to remove and requires a bit of force but does come off, fitting is easy.
remove black plastic triangle shape cover on the inside of the door, undo screw and wiring plug and remove.
thanks for confirming mate, in regards to removing the insert can this be done from the outside of the unit? Or do you need to get inside it (like take out the glass etc..)? Blobeyes are 2003 onwards right? (so anything from a 2003 to 2007 effectively)

Cheers
Old 29 August 2011, 05:56 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

yes 03 to 07 are the same the only difference you may find is the jap spec look identical but are folding.
i pulled mine VERY hard but you could try to lever with something but try not to damage coloured part.
it does come of but doesnt look like it, i think it may have a bit of double sided tape on it somewhere.
if it was my damaged mirror i would maybe cut a bit of the mirror to get the insert out without damage.
Old 29 August 2011, 10:47 PM
agoutimonty
Scooby Regular

Great advice, i'll give it a go when i get one...

Thank you all