Sponsored by:

Metasat or Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2011, 11:12 AM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metasat or Tracker

I'm close to sorting my Saloon purchase out i think - but the insurance co are insisting on a tracker system - which is best - what have people opted for ?
Old 05 August 2011, 11:56 AM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikeyw
I'm close to sorting my Saloon purchase out i think - but the insurance co are insisting on a tracker system - which is best - what have people opted for ?
That seems ridiculous. Subaru changed to the MetaSAT system from the traditional tracker surely they must accept the system is as good as?

I need to sort mine out soon who is the insurer and did they have a 320r as 'standard' or have you had to go sti with mods? Presumably you have tried Keith Michaels I don't think which tracker would matter too much with them. I have found sometimes it is better to cancel a policy and start a new one somewhere else.
Old 05 August 2011, 12:06 PM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NormantheDog
That seems ridiculous. Subaru changed to the MetaSAT system from the traditional tracker surely they must accept the system is as good as?

I need to sort mine out soon who is the insurer and did they have a 320r as 'standard' or have you had to go sti with mods? Presumably you have tried Keith Michaels I don't think which tracker would matter too much with them. I have found sometimes it is better to cancel a policy and start a new one somewhere else.
Sorry - slightly confusing in my terminology - insurance company insist that the car has a tracker system, but not necessarily a 'TRACKER' branded system - sorry!!!.....they dont seem to care which it is so I wondered which was better. I noticed that the stolen thread for the RB320 said that the Metasat has been disabled, so made me wonder if one model was easier to disable than others?

Talking insurance my current insurers wont insure me for the STi as they will not insure Imprezas. 2 others wont insure it because of the modifications. A call to Keith Michaels I think is in order now.

Never had this problem getting insurance before...full no claims, and not too young (sadly!!)
Old 05 August 2011, 12:10 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Sorry - slightly confusing in my terminology - insurance company insist that the car has a tracker system, but not necessarily a 'TRACKER' branded system - sorry!!!.....they dont seem to care which it is so I wondered which was better. I noticed that the stolen thread for the RB320 said that the Metasat has been disabled, so made me wonder if one model was easier to disable than others?

Talking insurance my current insurers wont insure me for the STi as they will not insure Imprezas. 2 others wont insure it because of the modifications. A call to Keith Michaels I think is in order now.

Never had this problem getting insurance before...full no claims, and not too young (sadly!!)

Gary sorted the insurance on mine, including the mods so far.

Metasat seems to work well (so far).
Old 05 August 2011, 12:17 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

I have a trafficmaster trackstar on mine, no idea how well it works and I hope I never have to find out!!

It's supposed to be GPS based though
Old 05 August 2011, 12:27 PM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Gary sorted the insurance on mine, including the mods so far.

Metasat seems to work well (so far).

Just tried Go Compare for a quote - £2750 - and that was the ONLY quote from 125 tried.

Hilarious.
Old 05 August 2011, 12:30 PM
Megaman
Scooby Regular

Trafficmaster Trackstar is the best to go for out of those two for one very important reason. If your car gets stolen, trafficmaster work with the police to recover the vehicle. Traffic Police Cars have the 4 antennas on the roof to help home in on trackstar cars that are activated.

Metasat system that ive used is a text only system so you text it to find where your car is, how fast its going etc and top up a bank of spend each year. No interaction with the police to find the car, it wont show up with the traffic car antenna system. Cant see the traffic police constantly texting your car to see where it is to be honest.

Unless metasat has moved on since the rb320...
Old 05 August 2011, 12:40 PM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Megaman
Trafficmaster Trackstar is the best to go for out of those two for one very important reason. If your car gets stolen, trafficmaster work with the police to recover the vehicle. Traffic Police Cars have the 4 antennas on the roof to help home in on trackstar cars that are activated.

Metasat system that ive used is a text only system so you text it to find where your car is, how fast its going etc and top up a bank of spend each year. No interaction with the police to find the car, it wont show up with the traffic car antenna system. Cant see the traffic police constantly texting your car to see where it is to be honest.

Unless metasat has moved on since the rb320...
Thats great information - many thanks indeed - i'll speak to the dealer as i'd want the Police to find it for sure if it went (just as long as they dont turn on the trackers to see how fast folks go!!)- small matter of insurance prices first!!!
Old 05 August 2011, 12:46 PM
Megaman
Scooby Regular

The metasat appeals as on demand you can see where the car is, get its longitude/latitude and see how fast it is currently going per text.

The Trackstar doesnt do this, you have to phone up and they tell you where your car is. But like i said main highlight is the way the police work with tracker/trackstar vs not with metasat

good luck!
Old 05 August 2011, 01:05 PM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Megaman
The metasat appeals as on demand you can see where the car is, get its longitude/latitude and see how fast it is currently going per text.

The Trackstar doesnt do this, you have to phone up and they tell you where your car is. But like i said main highlight is the way the police work with tracker/trackstar vs not with metasat

good luck!
I like the idea of tracking my car and not phoning someone up, especially if the Mrs has borrowed it !!, but I guess that the Police having direct access to that information in the event of a theft verses knowing where it was and how fast it was going is a better bet
Old 05 August 2011, 01:15 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Have you tried Aviva?
Old 05 August 2011, 01:17 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

I like the idea of tracking my car and not phoning someone up, especially if the Mrs has borrowed it !!, but I guess that the Police having direct access to that information in the event of a theft verses knowing where it was and how fast it was going is a better bet

With the latest Metasat you are able to immobilise it by text. I believe this function wasn't available on the earlier versions.

In the event of theft, you may wish to immobilise your car. Simply text the system and the next time the car's ignition is switched off the car will be immobilised.
Old 05 August 2011, 01:27 PM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

With the latest Metasat you are able to immobilise it by text. I believe this function wasn't available on the earlier versions.
Thats quite cool - even better if it killed the engine whilst in motion!....a little dangerous I suppose though.

Ref Insurance - waiting for Gary to call back, but will try Aviva. Thanks for the tips.
Old 05 August 2011, 02:47 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

metasat seems better to me
you can set a speed limit warning for servicing
it texts you if the car is jacked up
you get gps co ordinates of the cars location, then text back to immobilise and then head off with the rozzers to collect it
and you only have to top up the texts that you have used not pay an annual fee
I was never sure if my trackstar was working but with this one I can check whenever I choose
Old 05 August 2011, 03:39 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Budgie
metasat seems better to me
you can set a speed limit warning for servicing
it texts you if the car is jacked up
you get gps co ordinates of the cars location, then text back to immobilise and then head off with the rozzers to collect it
and you only have to top up the texts that you have used not pay an annual fee
I was never sure if my trackstar was working but with this one I can check whenever I choose
If it's like my old 330s you can't just replace the units used you have to top up all 100 points each year so you lose any unused ones from previous year. Was working out about £80 as it is based on euros.
Old 05 August 2011, 04:21 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

which is best - what have people opted for ?
Mikey,
Just to be clear, Metasat comes as standard fit with 100 Euro credit.
Old 05 August 2011, 04:51 PM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

Mikey,
Just to be clear, Metasat comes as standard fit with 100 Euro credit.
It sounds like it will do the job - plus if I have to use a valet parking company i'll know what they do with the car!!!

I think the car I have lined up has this pre-fitted too, so it will save some hassle as well.